New Penny or Old Penny for Penny Press Machines

Tig

Earning My Ears
Wouldnt using a brand new shiny 2002 penny be better than using (and cleaning) an old penny for the penny press machines?

And brand new quarters as well for the quarter machines?

Why or why not?

Trying to get my pennies together, but Im confused. :confused:

This may be of no help but we use brand new pennies. We just like knowing that the pennies are from the same year we visited.

Here is what i have learned for reading these boards... Pennies made after 1982 are made differantly.. I BELIEVE THEY have zinc in them so when you press your pennies you run the risk of getting a two tone effect on your picture....

I went through all my pennies picked out ones made before 1982 soaked them twice in vinigar and salt.. Which did get the gunk off but they still were not shinny.. so then i cleaned them with toothpaste this just made them worse..

so i have desided to go to the bank and trade my tried to clean pennies in for brand new ones..

I hope this helps you ....

Thanks spoiled mamma....I think I will go thru my pennies and just use brand new ones. Shiny is better. :)

popeyeohoh---I like the idea of using the year of the penny you were there...good thinking!

You can get copper cleaner to clean the pennies or this stuff in a blue tin called "never dull". It shines those pennies up pretty nice!
You can also wait and shine the pennies up after you make them. Iuse pre-1983 pennies for all of mine.

But the only time we had a problem with a pressed penny was using an older (70's) penny. It definitely was harder and resisted being pressed so it was hard to see what we were trying to have imprinted -- you could still see a lot of the original face and back. The new pennies press much more distinctly (unless you are wanting it to still look like a penny?)

We just culled them to use the newer-looking ones. They are still going to "turn" somewhat so the cleaning, etc. is not going to make a big difference in the long run, and depending on what you use may actually make the pennies more susceptible to tarnishing.

We brought a bunch of our pennies, and had my in-laws do the same. First day in Epcot we stopped bothering with our own pennies once the nice CM at the gift shop 'sold' us a couple of rolls of brand-new shinny pennies. They even came wrapped in the shrink-wrap plastic so they didn't all fall out in our pockets. :)

I'll count, wrap and deposit pennies, but life's too short to worry about cleaning them. :)

-Joe

The never dull is a great product, i had a bunch of old pennies, i mean these babies were nearly all black. My husband cleaned them with never dull and they looked just like brand new pennies, it was amazing.

poohangel:tongue:

we've got some pressed pennies from avout 4 years ago and they are as dull as regular old pennies.....don't stress over cleaning them.

We majorly did the penny pressing thing! My kids love those machines (and we bought a book thing to keep them all in at Magic Kingdom) and it was the least expensive way to get souvieners left and right (pleases the kids).
I did one once with a stained (Or whatever you call it) penny and let the kids have that one to lose and did it again. It looked horrible! I couldn't even see the design on it at all. :( From then on I arranged to have shiney newer pennies in a certain pocket of my fanny pack to use in those machines.

With the quarters I never knew which quarter was going to be the one that got pressed! I suppose I could have watched if the same one in a certain slot was going down to be pressed but I just didn't because I was also dealing with 3 young kids fighting over who got to push which button and who got to get the penny once it was done (out of the machine I mean- to put in the book thing) that I never thought of it. So I had to put all nice quarters in everytime. *sigh* I'll figure it out next time. LOL

I have a question about the Never Dull -- does it *keep* a penny from turning after it's been cleaned? My ds would love to display his pressed pennies, but they get so dark after a while and it's hard to see the pressed image.

I'd love to know of a product that keeps pennies shiny! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter