New movie: Bruce Almighty

Liz

Make a miracle!
Have you seen the previews of this new movie with Jim Carrey? I just saw it tonight (previews). Maybe I'm being too sensitive and I don't really know the full story line, but I felt quite uneasy watching this and know I wouldn't go see the movie. Apparently Jim Carrey is given the power of God for a week to see what its like. It showed him walking on water and things like that. Ugh, it just feels wrong to me.

Liz,
You aren't the only one who feels this way. I know I won't ever watch it. The premise makes me totally uncomfortable and it's just not funny to me.

I have to agree with most of the other postrs. It looks terrible/ When someone takes something that came from the Bible that only Jesus could do it makes me uncomfortable.
I wont go see it, but if anyone else wants to.. So be it.

I'm with Uncle Kyle. I've seen the commercials on TV and other trailers that show a little more and the movie looks hilarious! It looks like Jim Carrey is doing the screwball comedy he does so well.

The subject matter doesn't disturb me, but I'm sure it will others, and obviously it does. Just curious: has anyone heard of any comments from religious leaders and groups about this movie? I remember the outrage over movies such as Last Temptation of Christ, Dogma, and Oh God (somewhat -- I was maybe 10 when that movie came out), but I haven't heard a peep about this movie.

At first I felt the same way...this was something I wasn't going to see. But, after watching the promos for it and giving it some thought.....I think it's trying to make a point about God's power. How it looks like something you would love to have, but what about the responsibility?? At least I'm hoping that's the basic premise. Since I never get to see many movies, it's probably a moot point!!

I just saw Dogma a few weeks ago. I don't even remember it coming out!

No, I have not heard anything negative about this movie.

I have, however, heard a lot of stuff about Mel Gibson's new movie on Jesus.
I guess every Christian religion is ready to draw and quarter him for it.

I think Mel Gibson is wonderful. Of course, I don't know know him personally, (Darn), but I know he is Catholic. Does he know anything about Jesus? I guess we will find out when the movie comes out.

What do you guys think of his movie>?
Lisajl

I could care less about the subject matter, anything with Jim Carrey is hilarious.

I want to see it more than any of the other new movies.

The trailer does look funny...just hope that those scenes aren't the only good ones. So many times they show the good scenes and the rest of the movie is awful!

My teens both want to go see this film, but I'm also afraid that all the best scenes are in the commercial. Perhaps we'll wait and see what their friends think after they've seen the film.

I think the trailers are sooooo funny can't wait to see it. I am a Christian and don't rely on the movies to support or minimize my faith. Just enjoy the entertainment :p

I both don't like the topic (though I guess it's no worse than some other movies that satirize some form of Christianity), and I don't like Jim Carrey. So for me, that's two strikes, I won't be seeing it at all. (Though even disliking the topic and Jim Carey, I do have to admit to laughing at a couple of the brief scenes)

Haven't heard of Mel Gibson's movie.

I'm planning on seeing Bruce Almighty because it looks very funny. I was reading posts on another boards about this movie, and lots of people were concerned about the subject matter. As I understand it, Jim Carrey's character says something about God not doing a good job with something, so God says if you're so good, try to do a better job. He then gives him his power for a short time. I get the feeling the movie will teach a lesson, not just be pure comedy, although I'm sure it will be very funny.

VelvetGloves

I'm all over this movie. I'll be there. Actually - it opens while we're in WDW next month - so we'll be seeing it in DTD! :)

I think people are taking the premise of the movie a bit too seriously - it's a fictional movie - not a biography. But of course, it's your choice not to see it. Just like - if you dont' like what's playing on the radio, change the station.

:cool:

Jim Carey looks like he is in his hyper mode in this movie so I'll more than likely skip it.

I do like movies that make me think, though. Dogma was one that we talked about for months after we saw it. I have no objection to movies based on religion or God or the bible.

I'm with the people who say the movie has a lesson to be learned. God has a very difficult job, and through comic relief, they're attempting to show us that. At least that's what I'm getting out of it. I'm no more offended by this movie than I was by "Oh God" - which I thought was hysterical.

Haven't heard of Mel Gibson's movie.

The name of the movie is Passion. It's supposed to be about the last twelve hours of Jesus' life and is going to be entirely in Latin and Aramiec (sp?) without English subtitles. Now this is a movie I don't think I will be going to see.

Originally posted by Grog
The name of the movie is Passion. It's supposed to be about the last twelve hours of Jesus' life and is going to be entirely in Latin and Aramiec (sp?) without English subtitles.

:confused: All in Latin/Aramaic (sp?) with no subtitles? How is that going to help anyone or get to anyone or anything like that?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter