Nevermind, sry

Too funny, my dad was stationed in Alameda at the Coast Guard station. We were there from 77 to 81.

I need to keep an eye out for the Mickey head, we can put them on our Mini's. Thanks for the heads up, I will look for them on my next trip.

Man, ya'll are a Disney family for sure. We were bitten by the mouse in 2004, and have since become complete addicts. What's up with DD#2 not having a Disney connection, ya better get on that! LOL

Ah, WDW in January. Perfect time of year. We typically go in Dec, I don't do heat well. HI and CA heat aren't so bad but FL heat in summer, forget it. Of course it's been FL hot here this week, so we are hanging out inside.

New Haven and Branford aren't to terribly far from here. I drive by on my way into NYC and NJ.
Sorry, your friends have passed, but how sweet to have met someone you connected with on your cruise.

I remembered other pics I have. The Hydroplane races, Outrigger Hydrofest I think is the name. Do they still have those?

What school did you go to? I went to Wood School for middle school, and Encinal for high. Class of 1984.

My generation was the U.S.S. Enterprise, then the U.S.S. Carl Vinson aircraft carriers. All my classmates were either Navy or Army brats. LOL.

Sad to see the old Alameda Naval Air Station mothballed. Erie how quite things are without the jets flying 18 hours a day, and nothing related to the Navy or Marine Corps left. :sad2::guilty:

My friend worked on Treasure Island for the MWR when she was in college.

I think the Outrigger hydroplane races only lasted one or two years. We went to the first year, probably before we were married. Recently, I ran the Ford Island Bridge race, which is a 10K.

I was at Treasure Island elementary school. We moved to CT after the base closed. I graduated HS here in 91.

I came back to TI to visit and show DH my old stomping grounds when we were on a business trip to SF. I'm glad the houses were being used but it's sad to see the state of the island. Chain link fences and stuff all over the place. I guess the place was used as a dump after the base closed and now the ground is contaminated.
It was a great place to grow up. So many different cultures, it really was a melting pot.
Doesn't Myth Busters use part of the Alameda base for their show?

I think Ford Island is where DH did training. I'll have to ask him when he gets home, the name sounds familiar.

Doesn't Myth Busters use part of the Alameda base for their show?

Mythbusters is ALWAYS out at the old Alameda Naval Air Station, as well as my high school, Encinal High. I think Jamie's wife is a teacher at that school now, so they film there during summers. The swimming pool, and the football field.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter