Never thought I'd do it- Cancelled.

This was not our experience when traveling to the Riviera Maya in Mexico this year. We visited a resort we had been to twice pre-covid and, after traveling to both WDW and Wyoming this year where service has been cut severely, I was shocked by the level of service we received in Mexico this year - the resort was fully staffed, full housekeeping every day and all restaurants were open. In fact, the experience was better than our previous trips. I can't comment on other international destinations, but certainly in the area of Mexico we visited, things were very much back to normal.
That's great to know! Planning a trip to Mexico in 2023

Hi, thanks for posting this. Now I have a reason to see if we want to upgrade to a platinum AMEX. In the past we decided it wasn't worth it. But if we decide to try Universal then these are pretty nice perks.
Keep in mind that when booking through Amex the hotel will be higher price also. I looked for
a date that Universal was charging 400 for but on Amex it was 525 a night.
I have a friend who booked through Universal and still got the benefits. That was a while
ago though. I think you also get discounts on some food places also.

Last edited:
How about throwing your guests something, like since we aren’t able to offer daily mousekeeping daily here is a voucher for 5$ a mobile order or something. Something, anything. You’d be surprised what something little can do. I think that’s what’s missing, Disney always knew the value and magic in even the smallest of things, and now it’s like they can’t be bothered.
Um they actually did do this. Right after they announced you could decline housekeeping a few years back they would give you Disney gift cards (usually e-gift cards) per day you declined housekeeping and it was a graduated system with Value, Moderate and Deluxe. It was an all or nothing thing though meaning you didn't get housekeeping at all during your stay though you could call if you wanted more toiletries and new linens. I forget when that stopped but I never expected Disney to do that for eternity much less during a global pandemic.

As I understand it for normal rooms you're every other day for housekeeping. DVC operating differently. Every other day seems reasonable to me personally speaking. I don't need a gift card just because they've switched to every other day (at least me personally though of course I wouldn't pass that up lol).

IIRC Hilton did something sorta similar as far as credits for declining housekeeping a few years back but I don't remember if they do anything now sorta doubt it (but again wouldn't pass it up if they did) Hilton announced over the summer they would stop daily housekeeping.

But honestly sometimes people need to take a breath here :flower3:

I stayed at AKL 1 bedroom Nov 2020 paying 1k per night for savana view (not DVC member) and did not get any trash cleaned out until Day 4 where they showed up twice. We had 3 kids and had to put diapers in bins outside ourselves.

Also went hungry at a Deluxe resort due to lack of options. Sanaa refused to take any orders, we walked all the way back to the gift shop to get a pizza and there was nothing vegan available.

My husband was in a cast (foot) and we were placed in Pemba section despite requesting closer to lobby. This was a slow week. They moved us after a day but the attitude everywhere was not to be bothered vs Disney customer service

Birthday was not acknowledged anywhere even Topolinos.

Last edited:

I stayed at AKL 1 bedroom Nov 2020 paying 1k per night for savana view (not DVC member) and did not get any trash cleaned out until Day 4 where they showed up twice. We had 3 kids and had to put diapers in bins outside ourselves.

Also went hungry at a Deluxe resort due to lack of options.
If it was cleaned out on Day 4 that matches DVC protocols. As for the hungry part even back then there were some options so I'm guessing they just didn't appeal to y'all. Did you happen to see what was open or closed prior to booking your stay or did things just suddenly up and close on ya?

I’m not a DVC member (almost did but March 2020 trip got cancelled). Yes we checked hours as we are planners; the problem is Disney was suddenly throwing things at you that you couldn’t plan for. The manager was apologizing to people. They closed early because they couldn’t handle the orders.

I guess if you’ve been post COVID then you would understand what I mean by curveballs

Last edited:

Um they actually did do this. Right after they announced you could decline housekeeping a few years back they would give you Disney gift cards (usually e-gift cards) per day you declined housekeeping and it was a graduated system with Value, Moderate and Deluxe. It was an all or nothing thing though meaning you didn't get housekeeping at all during your stay though you could call if you wanted more toiletries and new linens. I forget when that stopped but I never expected Disney to do that for eternity much less during a global pandemic.

As I understand it for normal rooms you're every other day for housekeeping. DVC operating differently. Every other day seems reasonable to me personally speaking. I don't need a gift card just because they've switched to every other day (at least me personally though of course I wouldn't pass that up lol).

IIRC Hilton did something sorta similar as far as credits for declining housekeeping a few years back but I don't remember if they do anything now sorta doubt it (but again wouldn't pass it up if they did) Hilton announced over the summer they would stop daily housekeeping.

But honestly sometimes people need to take a breath here :flower3:
Incorrect. For “normal rooms”, that is, a cash reservation, they replace towels and empty trash on day 2, day 4 etc. There is NO full housekeeping at any level of Disney resort right now, at all. And I would not stand for that when we went to DLH this October and when we just went to BC last week. I asked for full daily housekeeping and received it, but I had to go through the housekeepers individually each day and tipped generously. Disney is not doing housekeeping at all.

Incorrect. For “normal rooms”, that is, a cash reservation, they replace towels and empty trash on day 2, day 4 etc. There is NO full housekeeping at any level of Disney resort right now, at all. And I would not stand for that when we went to DLH this October and when we just went to BC last week. I asked for full daily housekeeping and received it, but I had to go through the housekeepers individually each day and tipped generously. Disney is not doing housekeeping at all.
What you're describing is literally every other day..Day 2 and day 4 are literally every other day.

We were talking about daily housekeeping as in "Disney isn't doing housekeeping every day", I don't think anyone is under the impression we're talking about full housekeeping or at least I certainly wasn't nor was I referring to top to bottom housekeeping services. Most complaints surround trash removal.

Disney advises:
During Your Stay

Your room will receive light housekeeping service every other day (unless you choose to decline the service). This service will include:

• Removal of trash and used towels
  • Replenishment of towels and amenities throughout room and bathroom
  • Wiping and cleaning of the vanity and counter surfaces
  • Vacuuming, if needed
In addition, housekeeping tools will be cleaned between rooms.

I'm guessing you going through housekeepers individually means they were doing something against protocol.

Disney IS doing housekeeping but not top to bottom housekeeping.

I’m not a DVC member (almost did but March 2020 trip got cancelled). Yes we checked hours as we are planners; the problem is Disney was suddenly throwing things at you that you couldn’t plan for. The manager was apologizing to people. They closed early because they couldn’t handle the orders.

I guess if you’ve been post COVID then you would understand what I mean by curveballs
Only thing I can guess if it was Day 4 matching up with DVC is it was a DVC room rented, if not I apologize have no answers for ya.

I do understand getting there and getting frustrated at a sudden closure like that. I know it happened last year and while I have had a lot of patience towards workers throughout last year and this year I may have been a tad more surprised at a sudden closure last year compared to this year. This year it's fairly normal to hear of places struggling somewhere. Just about everywhere has had curveballs thrown. Last year had a different vibe but this year this year seems to be all about expecting things to just up and happen.

I was at Dollar Tree last month and they announced closing at 2pm (which was 20mins from when I entered the store) as the workers didn't show up. My mom went to pick up an order at DSW a few weeks back and the store couldn't open, no worker til noon and only 1 person there. The person there could do online order/store pick up OR open the store but not both and what realistically could be handled was online order/store pick up so my mom was able to get her shoes but people couldn't shop. Restaurants close earlier if not enough staff show up heck a few months back I feel like food shortages were causing a real big issue closing up kitchens or removing items off menus unexpectedly. We were in Vegas earlier this month things still having up and closures. As for the poster who spoke about Mexico, had some relatives on my husband's side and I wish I could remember where they went in November (this November) but they had issues too, not as much issues as here back in the States but they ran into closed restaurants and activities at the resort fairly cut thin. They had a good time but it wasn't a perfect trip either. But it does bite to be on a trip where you're spending money and thing after thing happens, I don't know anyone who enjoys that.

Hi, thanks for posting this. Now I have a reason to see if we want to upgrade to a platinum AMEX. In the past we decided it wasn't worth it. But if we decide to try Universal then these are pretty nice perks.
And there is more! LOL. Once a year you get a statement credit for booking through AMEX fine resorts, $250 I believe. Plus 5x points = the yearly membership is paid for.

So, besides all the rooms available from now till 1-10, I just revised our dining for the 2 days we will be at WDW. Tomorrow EPCOT, grabbed last minute park reservation and a reservation at Le Cellier at 4:45. Wednesday will be our 1 park day at MK. I just booked a 12:00 Steakhouse 71 for lunch, Cinderella's Royal Table at 8:50 for dinner and Thursday morning, before we head to Legoland I was able to grab breakfast at Ohana. There is so much available right now. Crazy times.

Only thing I can guess if it was Day 4 matching up with DVC is it was a DVC room rented, if not I apologize have no answers for ya.

I do understand getting there and getting frustrated at a sudden closure like that. I know it happened last year and while I have had a lot of patience towards workers throughout last year and this year I may have been a tad more surprised at a sudden closure last year compared to this year. This year it's fairly normal to hear of places struggling somewhere. Just about everywhere has had curveballs thrown. Last year had a different vibe but this year this year seems to be all about expecting things to just up and happen.

I was at Dollar Tree last month and they announced closing at 2pm (which was 20mins from when I entered the store) as the workers didn't show up. My mom went to pick up an order at DSW a few weeks back and the store couldn't open, no worker til noon and only 1 person there. The person there could do online order/store pick up OR open the store but not both and what realistically could be handled was online order/store pick up so my mom was able to get her shoes but people couldn't shop. Restaurants close earlier if not enough staff show up heck a few months back I feel like food shortages were causing a real big issue closing up kitchens or removing items off menus unexpectedly. We were in Vegas earlier this month things still having up and closures. As for the poster who spoke about Mexico, had some relatives on my husband's side and I wish I could remember where they went in November (this November) but they had issues too, not as much issues as here back in the States but they ran into closed restaurants and activities at the resort fairly cut thin. They had a good time but it wasn't a perfect trip either. But it does bite to be on a trip where you're spending money and thing after thing happens, I don't know anyone who enjoys that.
Wow. There are issues everywhere I suppose (Chipotle, Boston Market suddenly cancelling orders, took 6 weeks for car repairs, 8 weeks for appliance etc). I think the disappointment was so unexpected, but now we roll with the punches.

I can say CMs seem to be much happier now and you can feel it and things are slowly changing for the better.

What you're describing is literally every other day..Day 2 and day 4 are literally every other day.

We were talking about daily housekeeping as in "Disney isn't doing housekeeping every day", I don't think anyone is under the impression we're talking about full housekeeping or at least I certainly wasn't nor was I referring to top to bottom housekeeping services. Most complaints surround trash removal.

Disney advises:
During Your Stay

Your room will receive light housekeeping service every other day (unless you choose to decline the service). This service will include:

• Removal of trash and used towels
  • Replenishment of towels and amenities throughout room and bathroom
  • Wiping and cleaning of the vanity and counter surfaces
  • Vacuuming, if needed
In addition, housekeeping tools will be cleaned between rooms.

I'm guessing you going through housekeepers individually means they were doing something against protocol.

Disney IS doing housekeeping but not top to bottom housekeeping.
Though they can also do this upon request as well. Did just that at GF in July.

Without asking, we received daily, full housekeeping on a cash reservation at VGF in October.

Keep in mind that when booking through Amex the hotel will be higher price also. I looked for
a date that Universal was charging 400 for but on Amex it was 525 a night.
I have a friend who booked through Universal and still got the benefits. That was a while
ago though. I think you also get discounts on some food places also.
I used the Amex platinum benefits at Portofino in August. It was two night stay. The room was 375 a night and around 300 on the Universals site. I got the 200 off, free buffet breakfast and 100 off dinner, and a nice room upgrade with a huge balcony. I thought it was a great deal if you can find a time when the rates on Amex and on Universal don't have a huge price difference. The breakfast buffet at Portofino was very good. We ended upgrading to AP's so I don't think the Amex rates will come anywhere near the AP rates so It most likely won't be worth it again.

Not sure why

Bobs been at the water coolers…on a serious note I still have no idea if I will cancel or not. I’m slowly coming to the conclusion they can’t make it any worse. Less time cheaper hotel and hit uni and SeaWorld seems to be the current plan.

Not to be a realist but TBH that's exactly what a decent amount of people do think, I mean always have thought, I mean long before the pandemic and long before the Chapek. When you actually talk to people NOT highly in love with Disney you usually find a "meh, I mean it's a theme park and all"

I'm not saying people don't love it when they go (there are people who do) but there's quite a lot of people who never did nor ever will see it with the same lights as many of the diehard fans here. People here on this Board typically overestimate the amount of love Disney gets from non-Disney lovers. To many it really is just another theme park, albeit a very pricey one (and long has been to them).

Even if you don`t count us uber fans, I don`t think that most people see Disney as just another theme park. I think the immense popularity of Disney parks, which has constantly defied rising prices, shows that most see Disney as the best -- at least for families. Some see Universal as a worthy rival in terms of quality, but Universal never had the same heavy attendance. Except on weekends, that was always clear to me from the 10-15 wait times for most rides at UOR. Meanwhile, even with their high capaity -- four parks and two water parks and many other things to do at WDW -- Disney is usually slammed.

At least under Iger, I really believe that Disney delivered when it came to the quality of the parks. We started going every year from 2007-2019 and I saw a steady improvement in the attractions. New attractions benefited from high budgets, and leveraged impressive new tech. The addition of several new lands kept us coming back. The only drawback, to me, was that Disney became victims of their own success, with packed parks all year long. That was great for Disney`s bottom line, but, for us frequent visitors, it became a challenge to beat the crowds. Hell, a lot of us made a game of ``beat the crowds``.

Disney has been the industry leader for many years. Regional parks like Six Flags are hilariously cheaper to visit (I pay a comparative pittance for a season pass with meal plan at my local Six Flags park) but Disney still has much higher attendance (yes, Six Flags run amusement parks, not theme parks, but I doubt that most visitors draw such a clear distinction).

My point is that Disney is far more expensive than other park operators, yet still draws by far the biggest crowds. Those are not the results of a company whose parks are seen as just another theme park, in terms of both quality and nostalgia value. Parks all over North America have the same flat rides and hire the same companies to build their coasters. Disney builds unique themed lands and heavily themed rides with elaborate sets and multi-million dollar animatronics. There are few points of comparison.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter