Need strategies for Fireworks

christibelle

Earning My Ears
I was hoping to view the fireworks each evening at whichever park we happen to be at, however I have read some things that disturb me. After reading the Unofficial Guide and Disney with Kids, it seems that it is a mad house trying to get back to your resort and that many kids are lost during that time (with 2 little ones, 3 & 1, that thought terrifies me!). Here are my questions:

-Are the fireworks worth the effort?
-Should we try to see the displays at each park? If not, which one is the best?
-Are there any tips on how to avoid the crush?
-Are there safer viewing spots (like resorts or out of park viewing areas) for families with young kids?
-We have a PS at Chef Mickeys one night at 5:00, would it be worth it to stay until the MK fireworks and then view them from the top of the Contemporary? And if we did, how would we get back to ASMo?

I apologize for all the questions and thank you in advance for your help. We are staying at ASmo during the first week of Feb. if that helps you in your responses.

First off, I think the fireworks are well worth seeing. Maybe not every night but at least once or twice. We were down this past July and saw the fireworks at MK twice. We had our DD with us who was 4 so losing her was also on our minds. The first night we saw them, we watched from FantasyLand and there were no crowds at all. The second time we saw them, we were in front of the Castle and that is where the crowds are. But on both occassions, we waited a little while as the crowds filter out. Once the mad rush is over, then you can get back to your resort fairly easy.

Just make sure you don't get caught up in the mass exodus and you should be fine.

Best place to view the fireworks in your situation? As far from the exit as possible. If you position yourself outside of the crowd, you'll have that much less to worry about. In the Magic Kingdom, try Frontierland. At Epcot, the US Pavilion.

When the show is over, take a nice leisurely stroll toward the exit, keeping the vast majority of the people right in front of you. Just realize that you're likely to have to wait that much longer for transportation back to your resort, assuming you don't have a car.

I will agree with Ratpack questioning you wanting to see the fireworks every night. The only parks that have firework shows are the Magic Kingdom and Epcot. The shows are the same each night. Unless you feel the need to view from different locations, you're not going to see anything new at the multiple showings.

Don;t miss the fireworks. THey are wonderful. We watched the MK twice. Once in front of the castle. The 2nd time we were in the back, actually it was by the riverboat ride entrance. The CM from the Hall of Presidnets told us about that place. It wasn;t crowded at all and the view of the fireworks was great. What you do miss out on is Tinkerbell and some of the castle views.

Also, Illuminations is fabulous. We watched right in front of Mexico. There is a vendor there selling rings made of silver and gold. One family asked is they could stand in his spot and he let them after he closed up shop. It was a great view and easy to get out. Close to exit, especially if you go around Odyssey House rather than center where showcase pavillion is.

Have fun!!

we like to see the fireworks at the magic kingdom when we visit...we have seen them from several different locations...we have viewed them from main street (very crowded), from in front of the speedway (somewhat less crowded) and also from in front of big thunder mountain railroad (very empty)...after the fireworks, we just take a nice, slow walk to the front of the park...we usually stop at caseys for a hotdog on the way out and grab a seat out front and enjoy watching the people go by as they hurry out of the park to catch a bus or a monorail...we actually stay long enough for the "kiss goodnight"...after most everyone has left the park and they have brought out the street sweepers we take the last stroll down main street with almost no-one around....
the caseys/kiss goodnight is a great end to a magical day at the kingdom and works equally well on e-ticket nights....
on our last trip, we had dinner at chef mickeys and then went up to the observation deck to watch the fireworks on our arrival night and while you are able to see the fireworks and it give you a different perspective on the show it does not compare to actually being on the ground and watch them from the park....if you do go up to the oberservation deck, make sure you hang around a few minutes after the fireworks to watch the electric light pagent on the lake...
have fun!!!!
sunking

I never have understood that mass exodus at the end of the day....I've always been one of the last ones from the park and love it!

We have 4 children all under age 8 and have never lost them in the parks. Granted, we always have a double stroller so that keeps at least 2 in one place! Main St and in front of the castle will be crowded, but if you stay put and let everyone else exit, you should be fine.

The fourth floor of the Contemporary is the place to catch Mk fireworks now I believe. I haven't ever used transportation to the AS resorts but you should either be able to catch a bus from the Contemporary or you could take the monorail to the TTC and catch a bus from there.

Good Luck!!! And as hard as it may seem, try to relax, take your time, and your family will be fine.

When veiwing Illuminations at epcot - after its over instead of heading to the front gate exit out the International gate way (near UK) and walk to BC/YC and take a taxi from there to ASmo I beleive it will be about $10.00 with tip. and the walk to BC/YC is - IMHO - shorter than the walk to the bus stops. Just a thought.

We watched the MK fireworks from an absolutely wonderful spot while at a Christmas Party. I'm not sure what it's called, so I'll just give some directions. Past The Plaza a little ways heading towards Tomorrowland there is a little cateteria section. It reminds me of an outdoor Cosmic Ray's. In a seating section closest towards the castle you can see the Castle, the fireworks a little off to the side of it, and Tinkerbelle will fly right towards and over you (this is probably the closest anyone can get to Tinkerbelle). It is my new favorite spot, and if you stick to the sidewalk you can avoid the rush in the streets as you are already near Main Street.

Standing over by Big Thunder Mt, we saw a pretty good fireworks show a few weeks ago. Skip the view by Sleepy Hollow, too many trees. The walkway between the central hub and Belle's Storybook area is a great place, plus you can see Tinkerbell fly.

I thought I read that you can't get up on the roof at the Contemporary any more.

The best location is in frontierland. Usually the crowds are all in front of the castle or as close to their as they can get to that location. it is not in front of the castle, but it is a great sight, and mostly unhindered. Right about leaving. You have to do it leisurely. You will never beat the crowd out, and it is a mess out front of the park. You might as well shop and enjoy yourself, and wait until the parks clear out.

The beach at the Polynesian. The kids can play in the sand until the fireworks start and there will be no crowds to fight. You will be right next to the TTC incase you need to get there to get back to your car. Don't miss the fireworks!

QUOTE:
"we actually stay long enough for the "kiss goodnight"...after most everyone has left the park and they have brought out the street sweepers we take the last stroll down main street with almost no-one around....
the caseys/kiss goodnight is a great end to a magical day at the kingdom and works equally well on e-ticket nights...."

What is the "Kiss Goodnight"?????

I always love answering this question!!!

If it happens (I don't think it happens every night...someone correct me if I'm wrong), it takes place about an hour after park closing. The castle lights change rather quickly, windows sparkle with "pixie dust" and "When you wish upon a star" plays...either a man's or child's voice comes on and wishes everyone a goodnight, then Mickey says see ya real soon....then as the song ends the castle continues to light up and sparkle.

It's beautiful and always makes us cry.

When we were there Dec 26, we took the ferry back to the ticket & transportation center. As soon as you get off the ferry, walk to the left and you have a perfect view of the castle and fireworks. It was really nice, you could even see the sparkles on the castle from the pixie dust. Then you have already beat everyone to the T&T center and you are on your way back to the hotel as soon as the fireworks are over :D
Julie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter