Need somewhere to turn, about dd9- LONG and desperate.

I know that you said that you were near Cleveland, so I am assuming that you went to the Cleveland Clinic. I would recommend Akron Children's Hospital. I am a psychiatric social worker about an hour south of Cleveland, and I have been working with children and their parents for years. ACH has done some wonderful things, and come up with diagnosis when others have been at a total loss. Also, don't allow them to tell you that your child does not qualify for an MFE, which are the tests that need to be done to develop an IEP for school. If there has been a change in the academic status and progress, that is enough to warrant testing. You may need to demand a parent advocate (called a surrogate parent in state of Ohio) to get them to listen to you. Also, contact your local mental health agency for an assessment. They may not be able to help you much in terms of behavior and physical problems, but they can be a wonderful source for getting results from schools and other agencies. I see it all the time, parents will be doing the right thing for months and getting no where, I make one phone call and get the appointment that the need. It is a shame, but often how it works.

Good luck :goodvibes

I know that you said that you were near Cleveland, so I am assuming that you went to the Cleveland Clinic. I would recommend Akron Children's Hospital. I am a psychiatric social worker about an hour south of Cleveland, and I have been working with children and their parents for years. ACH has done some wonderful things, and come up with diagnosis when others have been at a total loss. Also, don't allow them to tell you that your child does not qualify for an MFE, which are the tests that need to be done to develop an IEP for school. If there has been a change in the academic status and progress, that is enough to warrant testing. You may need to demand a parent advocate (called a surrogate parent in state of Ohio) to get them to listen to you. Also, contact your local mental health agency for an assessment. They may not be able to help you much in terms of behavior and physical problems, but they can be a wonderful source for getting results from schools and other agencies. I see it all the time, parents will be doing the right thing for months and getting no where, I make one phone call and get the appointment that the need. It is a shame, but often how it works.

Good luck :goodvibes

I tried to ask about a parent advocate, but got nowhere. Where do I get one?

One thing that I could recommend is to contact one of the charter schools in your area (they are all over Ohio now that the laws have changed) and ask them to point you to someone. Explain the situation to them, and since they are not working for the school system, but still involved in your community, they will have access to the resources you need. If that is not effective, try contacting the board of ed of the school district next to you.

All else fails, contact your congressman. Right now public schools in Ohio are in the hot seat, and congress is all over them. A phone call from a congressman has done me wonders in the past. Good luck!

About the contacts- I've worn them since I was in about 6th grade and I'm over 40 now. (cough cough) So I've worn about every kind they make.

I'm guessing they're soft contacts? Those are about the hardest to put in, because they're so flimsy, they just flop around on your finger. But they're the easiest to adapt to.

Hard contacts are smaller, but they take longer for your eye to get used to them. They would probably be easier for her to handle, but they drove me nuts.

It comes with time, I know that doesn't help much right now, but it will happen eventually. I can put mine in and out without even a mirror now, but it took years and years for that to happen. Maybe when she is older they will be able to do lasik or something- the science is constantly improving on it.

The crying- I can relate to this, in a boy-adaption. They have to try so hard to be normal and be good, that once they get in your car after school, they're done for. And my oldest is 10 and starting to hit puberty, which has made it all the worse. Since they're boys, I get fighting and hitting, with a little crying thrown in on the side.

Hi there, I am a mom too a DD 9 as well. Your description of your DD is very close to how I would descirbe my DD. Homework was a nightmare always! Last year we had pyschoeducational testing done. In Canada where we are from there is a min. 2 year wait to have it done through the school . We had the testing done privately ( paid for in the most part by insurance).
We where able to get an IEP in place for her and have seen small inprovements this year. Not a whole lot grade wise but behavioral wise there is a change.
Not sure any of this helps, mostly just wanted to give a :grouphug:

Nancy

P.S. Oh and although it has taken a while my DD has learned to ride a bike and to swim ( some what )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter