Need help with itinerary (hotel and transportation)!

DaviVascaino

DIS Veteran
Hello Everyone,

I have a few questions regarding our upcoming stay at WDW resort and I would love to hear some input from everyone here. I need some help deciding about hotel and transportation.

Background: we are a family of 4 (married couple and 2 boys age 9 and 12). We will be travelling to WDW in Feb 2025. We booked one week at Boardwalk Villa from Feb 8th to 15th (Saturday-saturday).

We will be travelling from Chicago ORD airport on Friday PM. We usually travel on the day of the check in, but usually we need to leave very early and we would like to take advantage of a full day at WDW park on the arrival day (therefore we decided to get to Orlando the day before).

We will be landing in Orlando around 10pm on Friday. The Boardwalk Villa reservation is on the following day, Saturday.

1. I am debating whether I should book a hotel closer to the airport (since we are arriving at 10pm) or more central and closer to Lake Buena/WDW (longer commute from airport, but closer to BWV, and a nicer area/hotel overall compared to airport hotels). we would basically just check in, crash for the night, and leave the next morning , so amenities are not that important. What would you do? I found this hotel Candlewood Suites - Orlando - Lake Buena Vista that seems to be decent for one night stand. not sure if anyone has stayed there before. Any other recommendations?

2. On the following day (check in day), we would go to Boardwalk Villa, check in, leave the bags with Bell services and wait for the room to be ready. We would either go to a Park (such as Epcot) or try the free water park perk for Deluxe resorts on the admission day (if not cold).

2. We are planning to just bring carry on luggage, no checked in bag (4 carry ons). no stroller. no need for car seat. I would need basically 3 rides for 3 commutes: Airport to Hotel. hotel to boardwalk villa. Boardwalk Villa to Airport (returning flight). Not sure if I would do Uber/Lyft , private transportation or a combination of those. What would you recommend? I assume Friday 10 pm is not a busy time to get an Uber from airport to the hotel. I am open to suggestion

Thank you again!

Okay, first the non WDW hotel stay for a night: I would stay wherever it’s least expensive. Checking in after 10 PM you really just want a comfortable bed.

As for transport to BWI- same criteria from my POV; whatever has the best price and it’s easy enough to check without committing yourselves.

Have a great trip!

We’ve arrived a day early a few times.

Getting a room at value resort works well since they’ll transfer your luggage. You can wake up, get ready and hand over luggage, go visit a park and go directly to BW after.

We’ve done offsite too, though it can be more of a hassle. You’d have to go drop off your luggage at BW before continuing on with your day. That could work well especially if you’re starting off at HS or EP.

If both resorts were onsite you could do Mears roundtrip.
https://www.mearsconnect.com/

Uber works well do, especially cost effective with a party of 4.

We’ve arrived a day early a few times.

Getting a room at value resort works well since they’ll transfer your luggage. You can wake up, get ready and hand over luggage, go visit a park and go directly to BW after.

We’ve done offsite too, though it can be more of a hassle. You’d have to go drop off your luggage at BW before continuing on with your day. That could work well especially if you’re starting off at HS or EP.

If both resorts were onsite you could do Mears roundtrip.
https://www.mearsconnect.com/

Uber works well do, especially cost effective with a party of 4.

The one night at value resort is an amazing idea. Unfortunately I just checked and nothing was available for one night :(

I would crash at hotel in the Orlando airport. Probably more expensive but maybe not when you factor one less transportation cost.

I would crash at hotel in the Orlando airport. Probably more expensive but maybe not when you factor one less transportation cost.

assuming they have a free shuttle? is that your rationale, correct? just afraid of those "free shuttles" since they are hit or miss

OP, How are you planning on getting to Boardwalk the next day? Just asking so I can adjust my advice accordingly.

If you're not keen on staying at MCO hotel overnight and getting an UBER/LYFT to BWV the next day from there, then possibly look into a standard view room at the Dolphin resort. That way you have the option of rolling your luggage down the Boardwalk the next day, or you could get a shorter, cheaper lyft/uber.

I’m surprised all the value rooms are gone already. It’s possible… but sometimes the system doesn’t load right. And you also have to make sure you don’t have an offer checked because certain offers run out of inventory, but there’s still availability without the offer.

There’s one other thing… WDW is stingy about booking dates. It will show something isn’t available, but then once you add an extra day or two it pops up 🤣

I would definitely try calling. And while on hold see if I could make a 2 or 3 day booking that covered the date I wanted. Either they help you find the one night, or you could ask them to cancel the unnecessary days on the longer booking.

I’m surprised all the value rooms are gone already. It’s possible… but sometimes the system doesn’t load right. And you also have to make sure you don’t have an offer checked because certain offers run out of inventory, but there’s still availability without the offer.

There’s one other thing… WDW is stingy about booking dates. It will show something isn’t available, but then once you add an extra day or two it pops up 🤣

I would definitely try calling. And while on hold see if I could make a 2 or 3 day booking that covered the date I wanted. Either they help you find the one night, or you could ask them to cancel the unnecessary days on the longer booking.

Yeah, it is weird that every single resort has options available but the value ones 🤔

assuming they have a free shuttle? is that your rationale, correct? just afraid of those "free shuttles" since they are hit or miss
No. Instead of paying (1) trans MCO to first hotel, (2) trans first hotel to WDW and (3) trans back to MCO at end, you only need (2) and (3). First hotel is in airport. No shuttle needed.

I think perhaps you have not priced the MCO Hyatt recently. That would be WAY more expensive than the extra transportation leg cost. Like, easily by a couple hundred dollars.

If OP stays at an airport hotel (near the airport, not in the airport), there is a good chance there would be a free shuttle available. You'd have to wait for it, which you may not want to do at 10PM, but it would be free.

OP, Keep checking for a Value resort for that one night. Because, assuming one shows up--a distinct possibility--that's really the best option.

When I've checked, the airport Hyatt is more expensive than a Value.

Also, there may be discount promotions for your date--it's too early to tell--so at that point maybe even a Mod would be a relatively inexpensive choice.

I personally wouldn't want to stay at a random off-site hotel for that night. If I couldn't get something on-site or in the Disney Springs area at my desired price point, I'd stay at the airport Hyatt, which, btw, is going to cost about $200/night. At least it's been that price the last couple of times I've checked.

OP, Keep checking for a Value resort for that one night. Because, assuming one shows up--a distinct possibility--that's really the best option.

When I've checked, the airport Hyatt is more expensive than a Value.

Also, there may be discount promotions for your date--it's too early to tell--so at that point maybe even a Mod would be a relatively inexpensive choice.

I personally wouldn't want to stay at a random off-site hotel for that night. If I couldn't get something on-site or in the Disney Springs area at my desired price point, I'd stay at the airport Hyatt, which, btw, is going to cost about $200/night. At least it's been that price the last couple of times I've checked.
I just checkd Hyatt MCO, one night for the day we want would cost $440 LOL. crazy expensive.

Cheaper room at WDW (the only value resort) is at All stars for $360. I just did not want to pay that much to just crash for the night

I just checkd Hyatt MCO, one night for the day we want would cost $440 LOL. crazy expensive.

Cheaper room at WDW (the only value resort) is at All stars for $360. I just did not want to pay that much to just crash for the night

That $360 All stars is probably the family suite. Wow yeah, I’ve checked Feb 7 a few times and can’t find value room.

Maybe it has to do with cheer/dance competition season. From mid January to early March is almost every weekend.

We’ve stayed here in case like this. It has a really nice breakfast included:

IMG_0795.png

I’ve tried searching some of the other back-up options we used in the past, like DVC confirmed reservations (like we’ve gotten OKW at $200) or DVC rental availability that night, and not finding anything reasonably priced.

We are going the week before you :)

Oh man. I had no idea. That is way too much for a Value.

That $360 All stars is probably the family suite. Wow yeah, I’ve checked Feb 7 a few times and can’t find value room.

Maybe it has to do with cheer/dance competition season. From mid January to early March is almost every weekend.

We’ve stayed here in case like this. It has a really nice breakfast included:

View attachment 859741

I’ve tried searching some of the other back-up options we used in the past, like DVC confirmed reservations (like we’ve gotten OKW at $200) or DVC rental availability that night, and not finding anything reasonably priced.

We are going the week before you :)

We usually go either first or second week of February. those are great weeks, just before things get crazy busy for president's day

The one night at value resort is an amazing idea. Unfortunately I just checked and nothing was available for one night :(

If you want to stay in a value, I would just keep looking and waiting for inventory to open. February is far away and there are thousands of value rooms with people canceling all the time.

I'm sure prices are all now high for that period. No need for hotels to lower them so far out. Prices may be much less 2-3 weeks out.

If it makes you nervous to not have a reservation somewhere, you could get one you can cancel without penalty while you wait for something better/cheaper.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter