NASTY Annual Passholder Restrictions for Room Rates

crazyj4488

DIS Veteran
Dunno if this has been posted or not but this is just terrible news in my book. I heard this on the Inside the Magic podcast which is done by a guy who lives in Orlando and visits the parks every week.

Starting Oct. 8, 2005, you will no longer be able to call central reservations in order to reserve an AP room rate. It will only be bookable through the passholder website. Here's the AWFUL part. AP rates will only be able to be booked 120 days in advance!!!!!! That's four freakin months. Also, the deposit will be NON-REFUNDABLE as soon as you book it.

This is just retarded. No more jumping on a plane in a month's notice and going to WDW for a reasonable rate. I mean, that's one reason I got my AP in the first place. It allowed me to have some more freedom in my vacationing plans and it allowed me to goto the parks more often.

I will be writing a letter to guest relations on this on. It's just not right in my opinion.

:sad2: I completely agree with you. This is horrible! We loved our quick trips with AP rates! We're young and don't have much money so we go whenever we can. We hardly EVER know four months in advance that we're gonna be able to take the time off work, have the extra cash handy etc. I'm very upset by this. We will be writing a letter as well. Not so easy being the bearer of bad news, but thanks for the info...

I just found many other posts on this topic floating around here. People are a bit angry and confused. I'm just digging in now. I'm really frustrated though. The whole reason for me to have the AP is to go more often but I am NOT going to be wanting to do that at rack rates. They are just unreasonable in my opinion. Rack rates or restricted discounts may be fine for one trip every 2 years or so, but not multiple trips per year.

crazyj4488 said:
Starting Oct. 8, 2005, you will no longer be able to call central reservations in order to reserve an AP room rate. It will only be bookable through the passholder website.

THIS IS NOT TRUE.

Yes, a NEW SYSTEM to get "best price" is being instituted with extra restrictions, etc.

However, calling CRO and booking the traditional way is not going away. We may not get as deep a discount that way, but it is not leaving. How could they anyway - not everyone has online access.

There are tons of posts about this in various forums - but if you really need reassurance call CRO and ask them.

N.E.D.

there is a LOT of misinformation on this offer out there. Disney didn't do a good job of communicating exactly what the real details include.

Take a look at this thread posted by a TA on the code and rate board. (the highlights are in the quote below.)

OK, I started the thread on AP news and since starting it I've gotten lots of new info. I've tried updating it but it is spread out so here it is in concise form....

I spent many hours on the phone with Disney reservations, guest services and sales yesterday. I even had a lengthy conversation with a sales rep while I was supposed to be having dinner with my family at a restaurant! Here is a summary of the information I was able to get in those conversations:

What we know absolutely for sure:
this is NOT the release of AP rates, this is a new program but not the rate release
  • it is only available online
  • online reservations can only be done for one room at a time, the system isn't set up to let you book multiple rooms in one reservation. That is why you can't book 3 rooms with this offer (unless you have 3 APs) [side note...sales says they will be looking at addressing this issue]
  • you must use an ADULT AP
  • you must have either an activated AP (that does not expire before the trip you are trying to book) or have an ADULT AP voucher in hand. You will need the numbers off of the back of the AP or voucher in order to make the reservation.
  • there is a NONREFUNDABLE one night deposit required.
  • it must be booked 120 days or more in advance.
  • Disney will automatically reduce your rate should any offers be made to the general public that is less expensive than your current rate
    they will not match AAA rates, PIN rates, group rates or "auction rates" (no one could tell me what auction rates were though)
  • just like any other offer, it will only be available for a limited # of rooms per resort/room type/view per night
  • if you book a split stay, they are 2 independent reservations so yes, you would have to make 2 deposits and yes, they are both nonrefundable.

What both sales and guest services have told me is true but WE haven't seen it in writing just yet (even if they say they have it in writing):
(my sales rep and I had a conversation about the need for an FAQ on this offer to address some of these issues in writing. She said she will definitely be bringing that up first thing Monday morning)
  • this is NOT the end of the AP rate program as we know it, it's just a way to book and guarantee you don't have to be on the lookout for a discount, it will be applied for you automatically.
  • you will still be able to call in and book AP rates as they are released. They will just be subject to availability just as they always have been.
  • Availability will be more limited b/c the rate will be applied to all "best available rate" guests first.
  • they will be matching AP rates and general public rates (the wording as it stands currently only guarantees general public rates)
  • if you need to reschedule (as in cancel this stay but immediately book another) your deposit will transfer over with a $50 change fee assessed.

what I have(unofficially) been told they believe to be true from all of the info they have been given, but they don't have written confirmation on:
  • there will definitely be discounts, and discounts better than AAA
  • since it is only available to a limited # of resort/type/view rooms per night, there will be no "it's not available for this resort/view" with this offer. If a code is release, everyone on the best rate program will get it.
  • since it is limited, there is every possibility that certain resorts/views etc. will be sold out or VEEERRRRY limited (think 2-3 rooms per night) just with best rate guests
  • they don't think that ALL AP rate rooms will require a nonrefundable deposit, only rooms booked with this program. The thought is that you take the risk because they guarantee you will get the discounts as they are released. With regular call in rates, that isn't guaranteed
  • you will still be able to book 3 rooms by calling in, again, you just won't be guaranteed the best rate.

what I have been led to suspect this may mean for the future:
remember, this is all just suspicion...it is not based on anything concrete.
  • more than likely you will need an AP or voucher to book AP rates when they are released (remember AP rates and the Passholder Best Rate Program are 2 ENTIRELY different things). Disneyland has had this policy in place and I was told at least a year ago that they expected to see it start happening at WDW soon too.
  • one sales CM mentioned that there have been discussions of making ANY discounted room into a package (even if it is just room only) so it would have a 45 day cancellation policy. I wouldn't be surprised if we see this happen. As of now, if you book an AP rate online (again, RATE, not best rate program) the cancellation policy is 45 days. If you made the same reservation by calling in, it is 5 days. Considering that they have been looking for ways to encourage online booking and decrease call volume, I wouldn't be surprised if the call in policy changes.
  • one sales rep suspects the possibility of 2 tiers of AP rates, a lower one for best rate guests who have booked well in advance and a higher for guests calling in to book one closer to their travel dates.

While you all were posting this info, I was just finding all this out. Thanks for the update on this post though. I am now feeling a bit better about all of this.

That one thread on the resort / codes and rates board is THE thread to be subscribed to in order to gain a better understanding of what is going on. Major thanks goes to the person who started and updated that one. Here is the link for others that may have missed it.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread...8&page=18&pp=15

just so you all know, yes, you can still call after oct. this is JUST A TEST!!! a CM called me Friday night to let me know that. I was bothered because I have a imac and cannot get on-line for my AP account....and I called and complained. and she called me back to let me know it is all a test!

:cool1:
Quote:

"you must have either an activated AP (that does not expire before the trip you are trying to book) or have an ADULT AP voucher in hand. You will need the numbers off of the back of the AP or voucher in order to make the reservation".

I guess I can't use the new program because our APs expire Nov. 4 and our trip is planned for Nov. 29 to Dec. 6. We have had APs for at least 10 years and have always renewed each year. This doesn't seem right.

Edited: After reading over the above statement, I guess we need to get our AP vouchers way before our APs expire. Things are confusing for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter