MY Take on the new AP program-do you agree?

S

susy

It's just a way to get a nonrefundable deposit out of people-this time at 120 days out.

My take is that it was not a well thought out program and it's going to cause major headaches for both Disney and their guests.. How can it not if their system can't even handle the on-line requirements that they have set forth?
Very poor planning..

I don't think it is purely for getting a non-refundable deposit....but then I wonder how many people plunk down a deposit only to cancel? Luckily we have always made our trips and never needed to cancel....is that a common practice?

I'm not sure if the intention was to get a non-refundable deposit out of people or not, but it's possibly part of the intent. The real intent, according to someone I know at Disney, was to discourage Passholders from calling daily asking for discounts. I don't think this will solve their problem. According to polls on these boards, most people are NOT willing to use the program. So many of us are still going to be calling.

Serves them right - I hope it bombs and I hope they rethink it as soon as possible.

PamNC

In my case, I have ressies at BWI con in Nov. Right now I have a $490 rate. If I get a FL res or AP rate, great-if no availability for that ...I still have my five day out cancel option, so I can change resorts, views, whatever I want to get a discount. The worst thing that can happen is that I pay rack rate, BUT I have between now and five days out to switch, change my mind (we NEVER do that around here , do we?) or cancel with no penalty.

This doesn't make Disney a very family friendly place with this new policy. We have a trip planned for early Dec. Soccer is a big sport in my area. Kids do get injured. So I would still get penalized if I had to cancel under the new system if my child was injured and couldn't do the trip. Yes, I know I could but trip insurance, but I usually don't for short trips where things could be easily moved around.

Dizzyworld said:
This doesn't make Disney a very family friendly place with this new policy. We have a trip planned for early Dec. Soccer is a big sport in my area. Kids do get injured. So I would still get penalized if I had to cancel under the new system if my child was injured and couldn't do the trip. Yes, I know I could but trip insurance, but I usually don't for short trips where things could be easily moved around.

They haven't taken away your ability to "move things around". As long as your trip isn't LESS than your perviously booked trip, you wont even be charged the $50 change fee.

People are making this program seem much more difficult than it really is.

As far as people still calling, call all you would like, but the rooms aren't going to be available on the same level as before because people that are comfortable using the program will have them booked up BEFORE the AP's lowest rates are released. Also, people that already have reservations wont be assisted by CRO. It is a website only program. So many of those people calling will simply be told they cannot be helped except through online assistance (which there is an email addy on that site I know - possibly online immediate assistance to be added at some point).

lillygator said:
I agree........
me too. i understand the hesitence with nonrefundable deposit...i just booked air last month and less than 12 hours later the price decreased $80. i decided to pay the fee to change and was issued a voucher for the difference..so i had to pay more to save money and now i'm commited to booking that airline again in the next 12 months. it was a decision that i made by weighing the costs/benefits and that's what we all have to do with this new program.

other points i have been pondering:

1) it's only fair that disney impose restrictions with a program like this. consumers want to be able to book whatever they want with the ability to cancel or mod within 5 days time, last minute when it comes to travel. disney loses money in that deal if they can't rebook the room, and as fickle as many consumers are stating that they'll just take their business elsewhere this early in the program only proves that point. now disney is only asking it's consumers to to book with a little more commitment if they want the best rate. there will still be last minute cancellations due to unforseen circumstances so those that want to plan the week before should still have that option. and in situations where illness/injury/hurricanes(!) occur they are pretty flexible with the terms. they know people don't want to cancel their vacations.

2) if somone books a deluxe resort at rack rate with the hopes of a discount, then cancels or mods if the rate isn't as attractive as they had hoped, that has tied up a room that somone else would have paid full price for. there's no way for them to know when someone books a reservation that the guest has the intention of canceling later if the price decreases, unless they impose these restrictions. book what you can afford and upgrade later if the difference is reasonable for you when the discounts are available.

3) how many times have you called weekly to try and book for a peak travel time, only to be told rooms are not available? then, bingo at the last minute things start opening up. this will hopefully decrease the number of rooms that are on 'hold' therefore increasing your chances of booking something in your first call and not having to call so often.

this program will work for some but not for all. these are just my thoughts, but i respect everyone's opinion. just give it a chance first. with all the complaints about how much money disney is charging, though, i'd be curious to see what alternate vacations price out at for other destinations. anyone care to enlighten me?

srfrgrl07 said:
with all the complaints about how much money disney is charging, though, i'd be curious to see what alternate vacations price out at for other destinations. anyone care to enlighten me?
----------------

And I'm curious why you think people would have to price out "other destinations"? If this plan doesn't work for them - or they're not willing to gamble with their money - they can simply choose to stay off-site in much larger accomodations for less money.. It's not an all or nothing situation.. People can still go to Disney World even if they're staying off-site.. Imagine that?? :flower:

srfrgrl07 said:
Me three.

1) it's only fair that disney impose restrictions with a program like this.
Precisely: It makes sense to reward folks who are willing to provide a financial commitment in advance.

I agree with people that the program itself is not that complicated. However, they needed better planning.

Remember, Iger is coming into power and needs to show growth no matter what. i wouldn't be surprised if the AP's are just a test for the 'non-refundable' deposit or the 5 days out will be extended further.

Regs,

CJM

C.Ann said:
----------------

And I'm curious why you think people would have to price out "other destinations"? If this plan doesn't work for them - or they're not willing to gamble with their money - they can simply choose to stay off-site in much larger accomodations for less money.. It's not an all or nothing situation.. People can still go to Disney World even if they're staying off-site.. Imagine that?? :flower:
i know, i'm just asking those that are 'threatening' to start taking vacations at universal, etc. i don't see how those vacatins are costing them any less. it seems that many are becoming extremely offended by this offer and making irrational statements in anger and confusion. there are definitely ways to make a disney vacation fit every budget, and you don't have to forgo the trip..i agree with you!

This is the DIS -- the home of the most passionate Disney fans on the face of the Earth. I wouldn't classify certain reactions as necessarily "irrational" in the context of that passion. Some people really will actually perceive Disney in a lesser manner because of the disappointment that stems from changes that weren't to their personal benefit, as opposed to evaluating different options each on their own absolute merits.

bicker said:
This is the DIS -- the home of the most passionate Disney fans on the face of the Earth. I wouldn't classify certain reactions as necessarily "irrational" in the context of that passion. Some people really will actually perceive Disney in a lesser manner because of the disappointment that stems from changes that weren't to their personal benefit, as opposed to evaluating different options each on their own absolute merits.
ir·ra·tion·al ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-rsh-nl)
adj.

Not endowed with reason.
Affected by loss of usual or normal mental clarity; incoherent, as from shock.
Marked by a lack of accord with reason or sound judgment: an irrational dislike.

i think i used it in the correct context. i mentioned that it was due to anger and confusion. i know that the members of this community are passionate about disney, and that change is diffficult for anyone to accept. i am dissapointed quite frequently, because life does not always meet my expectations. but once i get over the initial feelings, i realize that in the scheme of my life it's usually not as significant as i originally felt. i hope that this additional program does not lessen anyone's perception of disney once they evaluate is as you mentioned.
btw, if you wanna know what i'm passionate about, check out
Better Than Ezra :love:

i think i used it in the correct context
I didn't say you didn't... I just said I wouldn't classify the reactions that way. :teeth:

My objection is the 120 Day nonrefunable part. I think 30 days wpuld have been more reasonable. When you make plans you should know what you want and not being flip floping. I also agree with the 50.00 change fee. This would make everyone think twice before making a change. But on the same token Disney needs to let its Passholders know what the discount will be at time of booking not leave you hanging as to what you might get if anything. Lets not forget there has been no General Public discounts since January of the year. I would be willing to live with a 30 nonrefundable but not 120 days thats just plain nuts.

By Hugpug:My objection is the 120 Day nonrefunable part. I think 30 days wpuld have been more reasonable. When you make plans you should know what you want and not being flip floping. I also agree with the 50.00 change fee. This would make everyone think twice before making a change. But on the same token Disney needs to let its Passholders know what the discount will be at time of booking not leave you hanging as to what you might get if anything. Lets not forget there has been no General Public discounts since January of the year. I would be willing to live with a 30 nonrefundable but not 120 days thats just plain nuts.

I agree!!!
QUESTION: How many hotels/chains of hotels have a 120 DAY NONREFUNDABLE
DEPOSIT?? THAT would be the question to ask!!

I am a DVC owner, but sometimes use the AP discount to stay a Fri, Sat nite.

DeerH

:cool1:

Hugpug, maybe WDW hasn't had general public discounts as such, but the MYW tickets have given a very nice discount for persons staying for 6 or 7 days or longer. Park admission for longer stays are just a couple of dollars a day. The free meal offer has been a very good discount. If people can take advantage of these packages then it is a very good discount. I know these offers don't help everyone.

deerh,

There are some hotels that when you book a specia rate, require that you pay in full at time off booking and make it known that no changes or cancellations can be made once it is booked. The Hilton across the street from Ohare airport has website deals like this that require nonrefundable payment to be made to get the special rate. I did this for a one night stay prior to an early morning flight to Orlando in Feb.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter