My son's need for healing severe burns

Hm. I'd have a few questions for the insurance guy - such as how did he know the mom had been drinking the night before? And, there is a difference between one beer and a bottle of wine. How much was she drinking? I'm not standing up for her by any means. She was wrong starting with NOT DOUSING a FIRE PROPERLY and in my town you have to have a proper fire pit which it sounds like she didn't have. No to me, he may have been nice, but it just sounds a little like Mr. Insurance Man was easing over to your side hoping you'd open up on some info.

As for all three kids throwing gas on the fire - I think anyone with a brain can figure out that first one to toss the gas would also be the last.

It does sound like she's rethinking her story in hopes of saving herself money. Bad. Bad. Bad. As I tell my kids, if you do something wrong - fess up and fix it, the sooner, the better. Don't hide it as it only makes matters worse.

WOW, now this is sad....:headache: So on top of everything Baylor and your family has been through with this accident....to find out all this today.... :sad2:

At the same time Dawn, you have so much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving ::yes:: and that your Baylor will ultimately be fine.....and to think what could have happened. :sad2:

:grouphug:
I agree and second that motion...I also will be sending you a packet on Friday for Tupp...:)
Hm. I'd have a few questions for the insurance guy - such as how did he know the mom had been drinking the night before? And, there is a difference between one beer and a bottle of wine. How much was she drinking? I'm not standing up for her by any means. She was wrong starting with NOT DOUSING a FIRE PROPERLY and in my town you have to have a proper fire pit which it sounds like she didn't have. No to me, he may have been nice, but it just sounds a little like Mr. Insurance Man was easing over to your side hoping you'd open up on some info.

As for all three kids throwing gas on the fire - I think anyone with a brain can figure out that first one to toss the gas would also be the last.

It does sound like she's rethinking her story in hopes of saving herself money. Bad. Bad. Bad. As I tell my kids, if you do something wrong - fess up and fix it, the sooner, the better. Don't hide it as it only makes matters worse.

Baylor was the one who said she was "having a beer with her friend" when the bon-fire form the night before happened.

I am not saying at all that that is a big deal or anything...but what she said was that she was down by the firepit the night before that she was never letting the boys be down there without adult supevision so they should have known not to be there the next day....so Baylor said..."That is not true..she told us we could start the bon fire when she wa son the porch having a beer with her friend...that porch is in the front of th house so she was not watching us..."

So my frusteration is just that...she is trying to come accross as not liable and the attorney knows she is full of beans...
Sorry for the confusion when I wrote it the first time...

And I agree at many levels the insurance agent may be out to find info...but the truth is here in MN - it will be before a specialized judge for children and settlements...so I think they are not able to get away with as much as they can with adults...:woohoo: I have spoken to a few attorneys who have said that kids are protected here...so I am thankful for that as well...

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone...:lovestruc

Hello everyone,

Just a quick update on Baylor.

He is walking pretty well now with no aids at all...the spot on the center of his leg is still open but looking better - from what I can tell.

He went to his grandparents home for part of Thanksgiving this past weekend and I need some advice...cause I want to punch his Grandma in the mellon right now...(Dad's side)

He showered there and had to change his bandages. Grandma asked to see his leg...she then says.."That looks just terrible Baylor...just horrible...worse than what I expected..." etc..etc...:mad: :headache:

He talked to his Dad immediatley about it on the phone...then when he told me..was upset...saying...."I wanted to tell het thanks a lot for making me feel better about my leg."

So his Dad called Grandma after they left...told her that she needs to watch her word choices around him...that he is very emotional right now and although it still looks very raw...we all know it is a long recovery and need to remain positive for Baylor.

She said...

"If your kid is going to be that sensitive about that...than he does not have to come here again."

I am so angry at her...blame the kid for not wanting someone he loves to be disgusted by him.

So what do I do...Christmas is around the corner...she is always like this...

My good friend Erika from the Dis said he should make the decession to go or stay..that he has a say in his relationship...and I agree...

She will not say she was wrong...if anything she will call and act as if everything is normal...

My thought...at 60 years old...It is abouttime she learns to appologize and if she can't....she will not have access to hurt my son again...but it is u to Baylor's Dad as well and I am glad he is protecting Baylor..even if it hurts because it is his mom.

Okay - that is about it...

Baylor has made cards to send out to all of you who sent him care packages/postcards for those I have addresses for...you are the reason I believe in humanity...the Dis brings out the best in people!:grouphug:

I am so sorry you and your son have to deal with something like this but am pleased with the positive progress you keep experiencing.:hug:

hi all...

Baylor had his appointment and we have some good news some not so great news...

Bad news first - his graph site did not take on the front of his shin where the worst of the burn had happened...a size about the same as a 50 cent piece or so...

We will wait and have an appointment on the 18th of December to see if it will fill in on it's own...or if they will need to re-graph that area...

next - I am glad to report the rest of the site looked amazing and that they are hoping it will keep on course and he can rsume somewhat of a normal life after Christmas if no grafting is needed again...:worship:

The insurance agent was very nice - he is not one bit happy with his clients...said they were 100% responsible for this because they left kids home alone...on top of the fact I foud out that she had been drinking the night before when they had had a bon fire "with her supervision"... in the front of the house and told the boys they could start it on their own...

Then the thing that fried me the most...is that she lied to the agent...told him all 3 boys were throwing gas on the fire...and that I knew that she was not going to be home...:headache:

Not cool and a freakin lie...the adjuster even said she contradicted what the fire marshall's report said...

They are going to try and get a small settlement for us to help with my missed work...hopefully will have in December sometime...if it is approved...which is not mandatory for the to do and according to him(Unorthodox) so we shall see what happens...

Getting some stuff packed tonight for the trip so we can see how much we have and finalize minor things...Baylor needs to get special tennis shoes...so hopefully can find them this weekend that do not rub on his graft site...

Ugh...

If you haven't yet, start keeping a log of your conversations with people that have anything to do with the accident. Write the date, the time and the person's full name and what happened in the conversation, and that way if anyone tries to go back on what they said, you will have it all there in writing. No, it's not perfect but it helps.

As for the grandmother, I would let your son decide. It sounds like odds are that she will say something rude or inappropriate again, and make it out to be Baylor's fault. Talk to his Dad and try to get him to agree that that's not what Baylor needs right now so that you can all be on the same page, but most of all, what your son says is the most important. :hug:

I thought about your DS last night. I was getting dinner out of the oven and burned the tip of my finger on a pan. Just one second on the pan and it hurt like crazy!!

I thought of your DS and can't imagine the pain he's going through. :hug:

Baylor has made cards to send out to all of you who sent him care packages/postcards for those I have addresses for...you are the reason I believe in humanity...the Dis brings out the best in people!:grouphug:

Oh, how sweet, Dawn!!! I hope he got my card?? I included a little something in it for his trip to WDW! :mickeyjum

Any recent UPDATES, Dawn??? :surfweb:

DAWN: HOW WAS DISNEY??? I HOPE EVERYONE HAD A GOOD TIME!!! :goodvibes

Update us when you have a chance!!!

I am so sorry you and your son have to deal with something like this but am pleased with the positive progress you keep experiencing.:hug:
Thanks for the well wishes continuing...
If you haven't yet, start keeping a log of your conversations with people that have anything to do with the accident. Write the date, the time and the person's full name and what happened in the conversation, and that way if anyone tries to go back on what they said, you will have it all there in writing. No, it's not perfect but it helps.

Good ideas..again..can never have to many of them...

As for the grandmother, I would let your son decide. It sounds like odds are that she will say something rude or inappropriate again, and make it out to be Baylor's fault. Talk to his Dad and try to get him to agree that that's not what Baylor needs right now so that you can all be on the same page, but most of all, what your son says is the most important. :hug:
News on that front...they will be going for Christmas there...his Dad has worked out some things with her...and I hope it goes well...
I thought about your DS last night. I was getting dinner out of the oven and burned the tip of my finger on a pan. Just one second on the pan and it hurt like crazy!!

I thought of your DS and can't imagine the pain he's going through. :hug:
I know...Treyner burned his hand on a stove on vacation that he did not realize was still hot...he was using some words of pain...and Baylor just walked past him...and daid..."Don't be such a baby...":thumbsup2 :rotfl2: The whole trip he was funny about his injury....we were at Jaws at Universal...and he sat on the left of the boat...and when Jaws got shot and burst into flames...he said..."Sure...make the burned kid sit next to the fire..." He is really coming to terms using his humor...but then there is the times when it is so heart wrenching...he will have to lotion his graph site...and just start crying...not so much from pain anymore...but from the fact that he can't feel it normally and he says his skin feels like leather...and sensory/tactile feelings just freaks him out...

He worries about scaring on his donor site of all things...again...uppper thigh...looks great....lighter pink in color...but it takes up most of his upper thigh..so hethinks it will be a huge scar...the truth is though...that willl fadethe most...and his hair will grow over it...so eventually it will look the least like a scar...

Oh, how sweet, Dawn!!! I hope he got my card?? I included a little something in it for his trip to WDW! :mickeyjum

Any recent UPDATES, Dawn??? :surfweb:

DAWN: HOW WAS DISNEY??? I HOPE EVERYONE HAD A GOOD TIME!!! :goodvibes

Update us when you have a chance!!!

Yes mam! Did not get back till the 15th..and then no computer till the 16th because some server had crashed while we were gone and they had to re-set a whole bunch of stuff on their end...ugh..

Baylor did so well....gained 10 pounds...ran and played in the ocean..and in the pool...got over people looking at his compression stocking when he saw someone with a water proof cast on...I will post some pics for you all this afternoon...started my TR so please read that for all the info if you are into TR's!

We really did have a great time...long but too short at the same time...My kids are beach kids though...want to go back to the Ocean next time for the whole time...give them water and sand...and they would prefer that over a park anyday...:)

here is some pics of Baylor from the trip....

00000040-1.jpg

00000051-1.jpg

DAWN, Thanks for the PM!!!!!!!! So good to hear from you!!!!!!! :hug:

I am excited that Baylor is doing GREAT!!!!
:dance3:

Bring on the NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo:

Many more gppd thoughts and prayers coming Baylor's way!

My DS was 4.5 yrs old and got his foot caught under the belt of our treadmill. While it was not the same type of burn, they did consider it a 3rd degree burn. He spent 2 weeks in the hospital, an hour away from home. The belt had rubbed across the skim like sandpaper would have and went down to his bone. He had to have his muscles reattached as well as a skin graft.

11 years later he does have his scars but they fad a little more each year. He was very brave thru it all, just like it sounds Baylor has been.:hug:

I know it's been a while, but prayers for Baylor being said down here in Florida! How is he doing? He sounds like a super brave boy! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter