My long night home from EPCOT, those darn double loading buses and the EPCOT boat...

I've always had much longer wait times at the value resorts which is why I don't stay at them anymore. They have a larger Guest capacity and as such there is a greater likelihood of there being multiple people using ECV's and wheelchairs. Pop Century has been the worst but of course it could've been the dates we were there in the past. I'm also nervous about our split stay at the Poly/AKV's. The two days we're at the Poly I'll be using only the monorail. We stayed there for 3 nights in early October and the relief we felt at not having to take the busses made for a really relaxing vacation. At AKV we are using our points for 7 nights. If I have any problems at all I won't hesitate to get a CM involved from Bus Ops. I've had issues before just like cantwaittoseemickey. This was at Pop Century and I ended up at the GS desk several times to report yet another bus that could not accommodate anyone in a w/c. Finally a private van came to take my party to the MK but we still missed the parade we were going there for. I don't expect or want preferential treatment but I'm not going to accept ANY lesser service than the able bodied Guests get either. I agree with Bookwormde and feel this new plan was not thought out well or is even something that would be accepted under ADA rules.---Kathy

Oh I would love to even see another resort other then a value resort but unfortunately it is all we can do to stay in a value. I think this trip will be better planned then that one was and hopefully it will work out better. Although now with how the bus lines are who knows:confused3 But I do plan on having a great time with my family and hope for the best;)

Kathy, for what it's worth; we stayed at AKL for 8 nights last year september, me and a friend that also uses a wheelchair. Never a problem, really. Even with the two of us, we'ld be able to use the first bus headed for the park we'ld had planned that day in about 95% of the time. (and back) Didn't do openings, closings etc. apart from one night the wishes party. That was interesting, so to say ;) but even with leavin the parks in full crowd it took only about 3 busses before we were on our way after reaching the busstop. That was because of 3 ECV's in front of us.

That 95% was a direct result of having a neighbour at AKL (2 doors down :lmao:) that used an ECV that had the same timing as us. Whenever we'ld hop on a bus; he was there. Go to the lounge; he'ld be there. Kinda comical. He was the 5% of us not getting on the first bus.

At that time they had a monitor at the busstops at AKL, as soon as they'ld spot 3 mobility aids that obviously didn't fold headed in the same direction they'ld radio for another bus. Which basically for us meant; whenever we me up with the neighbour. ;) They'ld even give us fastpasses for the "inconvenience" while we all know travelling with 2 wheelchair users WILL mean splitting up at certain times when using the disney transportation, at some rides etc.

To be honest, they had the most "trouble" dealing with the both of us on the morning safari offered to AKL CL guests. Took them some time to realise they needed 2 accessible safari vehicles. ;)

Are you staying at Kidani or Jambo? Kidani is the first stop (could be a plus) but I personally like Jambo more when it comes to overall convenience and atmosphere.

If I have any problems at all I won't hesitate to get a CM involved from Bus Ops. I've had issues before just like cantwaittoseemickey.

Could someone share the phone number for Disney transportation where you would call if you have issues? I'm leaving Friday and am worried about the new procedure. Thanks!

Could someone share the phone number for Disney transportation where you would call if you have issues? I'm leaving Friday and am worried about the new procedure. Thanks!

When we were at CBR this August there is a phone in every bus stop that you can use to report any bus issues. One of the bus drivers pointed it out to us when we were waiting for an Epcot bus. When we switched resorts and stayed at AKV Jambo, there was indeed a person at the bus stop who saw us coming and immediately asked what park we were going to, if we could transfer onto the bus or if we needed to be tied down, etc.

I am also interested in the new procedure for the bus waiting lines. Is it posted on the Disney World website somewhere? if it is, I can't find it. :cool2:

It was my understanding, that as of Oct 1st they were going to begin mainstreaming wc/ecvs through the regular bus lines instead of having them go directly to the wc/ecv entrance. I was there in August, and every bus stop that I went to I would be off to the side somewhat - but not going through the twisty queues. I haven't been there since then, but have heard that wc/ecvs will now go through the queues at the bus stops and when they come to the front of the line, or a certain point in the line, they will "pop out" and go to the wc/ecv waiting area. I haven't seen this in practice - just heard about it - and heard the invariable "horror" stories having to wait through multiple buses before being loaded.
This is a picture of the OKW bus stop at Epcot that was taken in early October 2010.
WorldClient.jpg

This is bus stop #1 at Epcot. Stops 1-8 at Epcot have the permanent bars installed like this picture. But, the bus stop in the picture does not have any way to get 'out' once you have entered it. Both sides and the whole front are closed with no exits until you get even to where the front door of the bus would be (the chains you can see only close off parts of the line - they don't allow someone with a wheelchair/ECV to get out of the line to board).
Some of the other stops that had these same bars, but did have an opening in the front where the bus back door would be and chains in various places to let a wheelchair or ECV pass.
Check post #4 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread for information on how to report a bus problem. You can find that thread near the top of this board or follow the link in my signature to get there.
When we were at CBR this August there is a phone in every bus stop that you can use to report any bus issues. One of the bus drivers pointed it out to us when we were waiting for an Epcot bus. When we switched resorts and stayed at AKV Jambo, there was indeed a person at the bus stop who saw us coming and immediately asked what park we were going to, if we could transfer onto the bus or if we needed to be tied down, etc.

I am also interested in the new procedure for the bus waiting lines. Is it posted on the Disney World website somewhere? if it is, I can't find it. :cool2:
It is not posted anywhere that I have seen (other than on some non-Disney discussion boards like this one).
There never was information about bus transportation with wheelchairs or ECVs on the official Disney site, so I would not expect they will post it at this point.

Kathy, for what it's worth; we stayed at AKL for 8 nights last year september, me and a friend that also uses a wheelchair. Never a problem, really. Even with the two of us, we'ld be able to use the first bus headed for the park we'ld had planned that day in about 95% of the time. (and back) Didn't do openings, closings etc. apart from one night the wishes party. That was interesting, so to say ;) but even with leavin the parks in full crowd it took only about 3 busses before we were on our way after reaching the busstop. That was because of 3 ECV's in front of us.

That 95% was a direct result of having a neighbour at AKL (2 doors down :lmao:) that used an ECV that had the same timing as us. Whenever we'ld hop on a bus; he was there. Go to the lounge; he'ld be there. Kinda comical. He was the 5% of us not getting on the first bus.

At that time they had a monitor at the busstops at AKL, as soon as they'ld spot 3 mobility aids that obviously didn't fold headed in the same direction they'ld radio for another bus. Which basically for us meant; whenever we me up with the neighbour. ;) They'ld even give us fastpasses for the "inconvenience" while we all know travelling with 2 wheelchair users WILL mean splitting up at certain times when using the disney transportation, at some rides etc.

To be honest, they had the most "trouble" dealing with the both of us on the morning safari offered to AKL CL guests. Took them some time to realise they needed 2 accessible safari vehicles. ;)

Are you staying at Kidani or Jambo? Kidani is the first stop (could be a plus) but I personally like Jambo more when it comes to overall convenience and atmosphere.

We're at Jambo CL and I much prefer Jambo to Kidani too! I've never had a problem in the past with bus transportation from AKL and and they don't have queue lines up to start with. It's leaving the parks that has me worried.---Kathy

This is a picture of the OKW bus stop at Epcot that was taken in early October 2010.
WorldClient.jpg

This is bus stop #1 at Epcot. Stops 1-8 at Epcot have the permanent bars installed like this picture. But, the bus stop in the picture does not have any way to get 'out' once you have entered it. Both sides and the whole front are closed with no exits until you get even to where the front door of the bus would be (the chains you can see only close off parts of the line - they don't allow someone with a wheelchair/ECV to get out of the line to board).
Some of the other stops that had these same bars, but did have an opening in the front where the bus back door would be and chains in various places to let a wheelchair or ECV pass.
This raises a concern with me. So if we needed to attend to something medical to the person in a wheelchair or ecv in line there would be no way for us to get them out of that line without making a mad rush around the people behind us?

Check post #4 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread for information on how to report a bus problem. You can find that thread near the top of this board or follow the link in my signature to get there.

So, just to be clear, if you have a bus problem, you should call Disney Main (4078242222) and ask to speak to the Bus Transportation Supervisor?

(copied from another post)
Let me take you on a journey into your imagination.

If wheelchair and ECV guests actually did have ride priority, would that make up for the indignity and inconvenience of buses and ordering at restaurants?

End. I.e. now back to reality. The platform is moving at the same speed as your ride vehicle.

With double loading, when the bus closest to the curb is unable to load a wheelchair guest who has reached the on deck circle, that bus must depart. If it is blocked by the other, double loading, bus, the latter must depart immediately also.

So, just to be clear, if you have a bus problem, you should call Disney Main (4078242222) and ask to speak to the Bus Transportation Supervisor?

That is what we have done and on our last trip, when we got back to the room, we used the button on the phone for the front desk (which does connect you to a call center, not directly to the front desk ).
The person asked a few questions about the complaint ( where were we going from and coming to, the time it occurred and the bus number). I was then connected to the Bus Transportation Supervisor and gave the facts about the situation. He was very nice and made sure he had all the information he needed to do followup.

May I ask why guests in wheelchairs or ECV's are now asked to to use the standard line for buses? I mean, what is the reasoning behind this? Every single visit I've made, it seemed quick and easy for the driver and WC/ECV guest(s) to first get situated while the bus was unoccupied, then allow ambulatory guests to board. Being parked in the vicinity of the back door of the bus certainly seemed to expedite the boarding. If there are 20 ambulatory guests in line who board the bus, then a guest in a WC rolls to the front of the line---are the driver and WC-using guest having to load around all the already-boarded guests? That seems like it would be tough to do. Surely, the guest isn't asked to pull over to the area that used to be a designated waiting spot and wait for the next bus? That doesn't make sense either. Also, no one in my family requires these types of mobility devices, but I have had to navigate a stroller through these bus lines and it was NOT easy, friend.

Ugh. I'm not trying to stir up trouble, I'm just not really understanding why the changes. But I think I must be overlooking some aspect of this. Surely, it isn't due to people complaining about these folks boarding the bus first? Always wondered if these complainers noticed that the WC/ECV users had to wait and be the last to get off the bus when it arrived at its destination.

The double-parked buses unable to board WC/ECV guests are NOT providing equal access, plain and simple. They should roll into the bus stop as the previous bus is pulling out, thus allowing ALL equal access to boarding.

--are the driver and WC-using guest having to load around all the already-boarded guests? That seems like it would be tough to do. Surely, the guest isn't asked to pull over to the area that used to be a designated waiting spot and wait for the next bus?

What's happening in my experience is that the wheelchair/ECV using guest gets to the front of the line and then is asked to wait for the next bus.

What's happening in my experience is that the wheelchair/ECV using guest gets to the front of the line and then is asked to wait for the next bus.

Does the bus then pull away, or does it continue to board able bodied passengers? If it continues to board, is this not against the rules of the ADA?

Does the bus then pull away, or does it continue to board able bodied passengers? If it continues to board, is this not against the rules of the ADA?

The bus continues to board other guests and sometimes they pull up a second bus and double load other guests. So you get to watch 2 buses of guests leave before you get on. :confused3

My husband uses an ECV only when we are at DisneyWorld. Maneuvering through the permanent queue mazes (like stop #1 at Epcot) was difficult for him. On a couple of occasions, when we got to the front of the line, the bus driver told us we were in the wrong place and had to move to where we could board at the rear of the bus even if it meant having to go all the way around the line to the other side. One driver made us move twice trying to find exactly where she wanted us. We don't stay until park closing unless we are at BWV or BCV; we have no desire to wait as multiple buses leave us.

I will say that on our most recent trip we found people to be far more courteous and patient than many we encountered on our January, 2010, trip (our first with an ECV.) The majority of the bus drivers we rode with were very quick to load and lock the ECV into place causing very little delay in getting passengers to their destinations.

On the downside, we did encounter four young women (20ish) sharing two ECVs (by sharing I mean literally sharing the seat, two girls riding together on each ECV) in Magic Kingdom. They got in line directly behind us and commented (to each other) on how much easier it was to ride through the parks than it was to walk, and why hadn't they thought of this on previous visits. These comments, of course, lead me to believe that the ECVs were a convenience not a necessity. I know that there are people who require mobility aids who don't have an apparent disability, but from their conversation, these girls were VERY obviously abusing the system..and they weren't even quiet about it..really bothered me. Believe me, my husband would give anything to be able to walk the parks again.

ok so we just got back and had the same trouble at epcot

all other parks and hotels were fine same as always nice drivers good help

at epcot it was a emh nite till 12 pm we left at like11 way after iluminations and before closing to not have a problem but did anyway.

line for pop was full and no way to get to front with both my sons wheelchair
and the stroller with w/c tag

so i look for bus cm hes way up front like 5 rows away some nice people call to him for me and i ask he says line is ada and get inline with everyone else

so we do. and wait bout 20 min to get close to front there are a few ecv loading

another bus comes up before we get to the on deck area and the double load it while ecv wait

i yell to cm hey you cant do that there wheel chair waiting he says real snotty i can do what i want i say no its against ada if you cant load a w/c
you cant load the bus. he says this is the new way and its the way it is if you want a supervisor i will call one im mad now i say you do that.

she comes over i explain about the double loading i say if this is the only spot
we have to wait in the line and you say its fair and everyone waits the same

i say we dont wait the same as he double loaded the bus while wheel chairs waited and if there are more then 2 wc waiting and you double load we wait for 3 buses how is that fair at all. she was sorry and said that when she works there she dosnt double load and she has the 2nd bus pull to the stop next thats empty and loads wc there 1st. she agreed that double loading while wc wait is not fair and said that she would tell him not to do it that way

well we met some people at food court 30 min later that saw what happened and said they double loaded again as w/c or ecv waited after we left!!!

so this is sooo unfair and if as she said its there plan for all parks we need to
let wdw know how bad it is!!!

thanks
scott

Those of you joining the conversation now who have had problems, if you have not written to WDW, please consider doing so.
Having a line that a wheelchair can get thru (an ADA accessible line) is only part of accessibility. There are only a limited number of spots on each bus that someone with a wheelchair or ECV can be placed in. If there are spaces, but those people are prevented from using them while others who are not using mobility devices are allowed on, that is discrimination.

I wonder where else we can complain? They are in ADA violation and it should be reported to someone in charge of regulations/enforcement.---Kathy

Can't post a link right now, but the place to report violations to the government is the Department of Justice.
You can google it and find a link to make complaints pretty easily.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter