• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My Genie Experience

LCoulter

Whoah Mouse
Does anyone else find the Genie screen so cluttered it’s hard to find your Lightening Lane selection and even your dining reservations?

What used to be ”My Plans” in my Disney Experience is now ”Future Plans” On Genie….but the current day falls off that and moves to the cluttered Genie My Day where it’s hard to find anything. Disney should leave the current day on the “Future Plans“ screen so we can easily see what our plans are. They can have it in the cluttered Genie Day too but hopefully clean up that screen. At least they could put your selections on top followed by their clutter of options.

I was really having a hard time figuring out when I was eligible to make another Lightening Lane and think the app was just buggy and wasn’t allowing me to make another selection when it should. My understanding is that if my first selection is at say noon and the park opens at 9, I should be able to make another selection at 11 but it wasn’t working like that and I would keep trying every little while until it would let me which I found was after I used the noon selection. On our last full day in the park, it seemed to start working the way I thought it should.

I wish they would give you a choice for later Lightening Lane times. We didn’t hit park opening most mornings so we need selections closer to noon but had to wait for the times to progress along and reach that time.

Don‘t make the same idiot mistake I made. Beginning of the week my party to book a Lightening Lane was my mom and I but after a few days, she fell off my party and I couldn’t find her. I had a few cast members at the attractions look and they weren’t able to figure it out but let her ride with me since I had lightening lane for myself. It wasn’t until I stopped at the front desk at BLT that a castmember was able to figure out what I was doing wrong. There is an ”edit“ button next to your party and then I was able to pick mom for my party…ugh.

At this point it’s too buggy and cluttered to use so I’m not sure how I feel about it. Hopefully next trip it will be better.

One other thing about the lightening lane times when you are trying to book one, not only do the times advance as you refresh the screen but the times also go back so if you miss a 10am slot as it’s already on 11am, I found it will go back to 9am and start advancing again….hope that makes sense.

My SIL and I both thought our return times for the Lightening Lane changed several times during the week which was frustrating because we would head to our selected attraction at what we thought was the correct time to find we didn’t have it for another hour. The first time it happened, I just thought I looked at it wrong but after 3-4 times for me and a few times for SIL, something is wrong with the app.

My SIL and I both thought our return times for the Lightening Lane changed several times during the week which was frustrating because we would head to our selected attraction at what we thought was the correct time to find we didn’t have it for another hour. The first time it happened, I just thought I looked at it wrong but after 3-4 times for me and a few times for SIL, something is wrong with the app.
You mean Disney IT isn’t functioning quite as expected? Somehow this doesn’t entirely surprise me… o_O

If that happened to me once, I might shrug it off. If it happened to me multiple times, I'm getting courtesy (free) Lightning Lane passed for multiple attractions. The only way Disney will have incentive to make it better is if we call them out on it and demand something for our inconvenience.

Something similar happened to use as well. When you click on a time, the time frequently changes when you get to the confirm screen. I noticed that several times with a change of 30 -90 minutes. I would click on a LL for 10:30, get to the confirm screen and it now was for 11:30 or later (really you can't hold that for even 5 seconds for me?) I started watching closer after that. That may be what happened to you.

Something similar happened to use as well. When you click on a time, the time frequently changes when you get to the confirm screen. I noticed that several times with a change of 30 -90 minutes. I would click on a LL for 10:30, get to the confirm screen and it now was for 11:30 or later (really you can't hold that for even 5 seconds for me?) I started watching closer after that. That may be what happened to you.

That makes sense and is probably what was happening. So those reading this, after you click on a time slot, don’t assume that is the slot you got, double check the times.

Agree with the cluttered “My Day” screen. I just want a page where I can easily see what LLs I have booked, what time I can book the next one, and my ADRs or Mobile Orders still in process. Leave off everything else and make it easy to interpret with a quick glance. This part of the app needs work.

The system absolutely could not handle the Thanksgiving week crowds efficiently. It was a meltdown. On our Studios day (Monday), logged in to try to get RotR at 6:45 refreshed and refreshed, right at 7 am, it gave a time and when I tried to book it said nothing available that day. So we thought, OK, busy day, try Genie Plus. SO it popped up with beauty and the beast show, which we did, as it would be done before our Brown Derby Lunch reservation. Evidently Dining and Genie are not linked, after that it kept trying to book something at 1 o'clock, even though we had a 12:55 reservation. After lunch it popped up Toy Story at 3:45 and ToT at 3:45, so some of my group went to one, and some to the other.

After that, it never popped up anything. Guest services refunded Genie Plus.

Everyone I talked to had issues with it. When I asked guest services why they didn't keep the working FastPass system and just charge for it, they said day guests that bought a ticket that day, complained that there were no fastpasses left as onsite guests had pre booked them. Seriously, that is the current company line from Guest Services.

ANother member of my group (11 total) tried it on another day. It would show confirmed times, then show cancelled and drop the return ride time about 10 minutes before their time. And the cast members wouldn't let them on.

Last edited:
The system absolutely could not handle the Thanksgiving week crowds efficiently. It was a meltdown. On our Studios day (Monday), logged in to try to get RotR at 6:45 refreshed and refreshed, right at 7 am, it gave a time and when I tried to book it said nothing available that day. So we thought, OK, busy day, try Genie Plus. SO it popped up with beauty and the beast show, which we did, as it would be done before our Brown Derby Lunch reservation. Evidently Dining and Genie are not linked, after that it ketied to book something at 1 o'clock, even though we had a 12:55 reservation. After lunch it popped up Toy Story at 3:45 and ToT at 3:45, so some of my group went to one, and some to the other.

After that, it never popped up anything. Guest services refunded Genie Plus.

Everyone I talked to had issues with it. When I asked guest services why they didn't keep the working FastPass system and just charge for it, they said day guests that bought a ticket that day, complained that there were no fastpasses left as onsite guests had pre booked them. Seriously, that is the current company line from Guest Services.

ANother member of my group (11 total) tried it on another day. It would show confirmed times, then show cancelled and drop the return ride time about 10 minutes before their time. And the cast members wouldn't let them on.
Agree, the app is not working the way it should. Times definitely change from the clicked time to confirmation so be aware of that.
And GS won't have the issue of day guests having problems if they didn't make a park reservation weeks ago. They can't even get in a park to complain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter