My First Solo Trip to Disneyland-"Very Long"

Montana Minnies

A New Generation of Mouseketeers
Day 1- May 17, Tuesday

My first solo trip to Disneyland, began May 17, 2005 ( Tues. morning). I had been worried about making my connection with Delta in Salt Lake City since I only had a 30 minute layover, but was reassured I would make it, and I did!
We were in the air from Salt Lake City to Orange County Airport less than an hour when an announcement was made that we would be making an unexpected landing in Las Vegas due to a mechanical malfunction with the cabin pressure. :scared: But not to worry it shouldn't take the crew very long to fix whatever was wrong and we would be on our way. Not so, the flight was canceled and we were re-ticketed with American West. As one lady said, the time it took us to circle Las Vegas and land we could have been at Orange County Airport. So instead of 10:40AM I arrived at about 2:00PM. I was staying at the Carousel Inn & Suites. My motel room was not ready, so I stored my luggage and walked over to Downtown Disney for my hour late PS lunch at Naples Ristorante e Pizzeria. The CM's were friendly and hospitability, I was seated promptly and I ordered their individual cheese pizza with a drink (soda). :drinking1 My stomach on the other hand was slightly nervous after my flight experience and I needed to use the lady's room. Upstairs I go and much to my disqust it was very messy. I would have said something , but the CM's were very busy cleaning the downstairs part and I thought they just had not had time yet to clean upstairs.
Downtown Disney reminded me of a miniture version of WDW Downtown Disney. I enjoyed just walking around and looking. I walked into the Grand California Hotel, which is much like the Wilderness Lodge at WDW. There is much difference between a moderate motel and a deluxe!
Since I had been up since 4AM I was very tired, so I headed back to the motel and although I was on the second floor non-smoking floor it smelled like in my room someone had been smoking, but I was so tired it really did not matter, after a couple of phone calls I went to sleep.

Day 2: May 18, Wednesday
Breakfast today with the Princess'es princess: at the Plaza Inn. I was a little embarressed when asked, " One Adult & one child?" Uh no, just me. :blush:
The CM was so kind and gave me a golden crown to wear like the other little girls. Then The Fairy GodMother came over and had her picture taken with me and later on I had my picture taken with Mary Poppins, I must say both ladies were much in character, accents and all! It was a lot of fun.
Since my niece wouldn't be flying in until later that night I spent the rest of the day shopping for souveniers. I stopped at the Tiki Juice Bar to have one of the infamous Dole Whips, but wouldn't you know it they were all out and were not expecting to get any in, in the near future! That was somewhat disappointing, but there will be another time. I bought my Mickey Mouse Golden Ears along with a few other momemtums of my vacation. The day started out very cool, but around noon it got much warmer out and the amount of people increased going into the parks. I went back to the motel for an hour or so to write out post cards from the breakfast area and it really did have a great view of the parks. I had time to spare before my niece arrived so I did more shopping and looking. As I was walking back from the Paradise Pier Hotel I put my camera case,(which had my digital camera, my credit card and my driver's license in it) in a larger shopping bag. I stopped for an ice cream cone at the Haagen-Dazs, strawberry, very delicious on a hot day! As I went back through security and he looked into my bag I thought now where is my camera case? I got back to the motel room dumped the bag out and NO CAMERA CASE! Time to panick, where had I been? I called the Disney Vacations # and they told me to get in touch with Guest Relations. I walked over to Guest Relations and he told me to go to lost & found. I explained to the young woman what had happened and described my camera case to her, she went to a back room and out she walks with my camera case!!! I have never been so happy to see an item before, I could have hugged her!! What a relief that was and thank god for whoever turned it in. It just goes to show there are still good & honest people in this world! :teeth:
My niece arrived later that evening and we had a bite to eat at the IHOP, not far from the motel. Tomorrow we start riding the rides!

Day 3- May 19, Thursday
Today we planned on spending at California Adventure. I was going to use my breakfast voucher at the Paradise Warf Cafe. My niece and I had our picture taken as we entered the park, which turned out to be one of the better ones we had taken. We first went on California Soarin, we both enjoyed that one, than we road California Screaming and I was certainly screaming! The Rapid Ride cooled us off and was very fun too. Than came the TOT, my niece had never been on it before, but I had done it twice at WDW. That ride scares the daylights out of me! I never know what to hold onto as we go up and than go down very fast! My niece loved that one!
We watched the Block Blast Party Parade. I liked the music played at California Adventure, it must be because I had an older brother & sister who listened to The Beach Boys a lot during the 60's. We had supper that night at the Disney's PCH Grill. I really enjoyed the food there. As we walked back to our motel we noticed how crowded the parks had been that day, a lot of schools must have let the kids out for a day at Disneyland. Friday was much the same way.
Day 4-May 20, Friday
I had asked my niece about my sunburn, being a nurse I thought she would let me know how bad she thought it was, but it's not her speciality. So I was beginning to suffer with the redness on the back of my neck and my one shoulder. I just needed some excedrin and some lotion and I was ready to go. This morning it was breakfast for me at La Brea Bakery Cafe as I waited for my niece to get ready. I used one of the 10% discount coupons that came with my package plan. Still I thought it was somewhat expensive, but good. The CM didn't even take the coupon, so I let my niece use it when she arrived to get something to eat too.
Today would be rides at Disneyland, my niece would be leaving about 6PM. We got a Fast Pass for Splash Mountain, which was good since the wait line was for 90 minutes. We rode the Materhorn and it made us realize how much more advanced the newer rollarcoasters are, not so bumpy or hard. Couldn't miss the Haunted Mansion or Pirates of the Carribean. Then we had go on some of the smaller rides, like Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, Mr Toad's Wild Ride and Snow White. We watched the musical play Snow White and I really enjoyed it! I think Disney does very good with their plays. After eating our Mickey Mouse ice cream bars and having other snacks it was time for my niece to leave. Yes and it was so nice to have the fast pass to just walk onto Splash Mountain.
After my niece left, I went back to Disneyland to buy a few more souveniers. I found just what I wanted for my sister in law at New Orleans, it took awhile for the umbrella to dry with the engraving on it. So I ended up waiting until 10:00PM to leave the park. I could see park of the Fireworks from there and I think Tinkerbelle has grown. I could hear the Fantasmic show, get there early to get a good seat unless you already have one reserved. Yes, the parks were crowded, but then it is the 50th Anniversary. Earlier we went and watched the movie about the opening of Disneyland, I had never realized that Steve Martin once worked there at the Magic Store.
Finally at 10:30PM I was on my way back to the motel room. Exhausted.

Day 5- May 21, Saturday
My pickup with the Super Shuttle is to be at 7:15AM and I am ready. The driver is earlier than I expected, as he is with a number of other places. Those people were not ready. He waited about 10 minutes for one person and finally we left, only to go back to pick her up. I was on time for my flight and everything went OK going back home. So here I am back in Montana, with a Californian Disney Sunburn and a lot of good memories besides! :goodvibes At times I thought if my head weren't already attached to my neck I would have lost it! :rotfl:
So inspite of unexpected plane landings, lost camera cases and vouchers, my Disneyland Sunburn, I had a great time and would not hesitate to go there again solo!
:wave:

Thanks for the report! Can't wait to go!

Sounds like a great trip with some memorable experiences. :) I'm so glad you got your camera back. :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter