My DD's teacher just gave us her blessing to take her out for two weeks!!!

tinaluis

DIS Veteran
Parent Teacher Conference and Report Card Day today for my DD (6 - 1st Grade) and I was a little nervous about telling her teacher about our upcoming trip (my DD will miss 8 school days). She was wonderful -- she told us that she always encourages parents to spend time with their kids and she'll collect all work so my DD can make it up when she gets back. She doesn't want her to take it with because she doesn't want to distract her from the fun. Isn't that great?

That's great! You are very lucky! I always dread telling the teacher!

Last year she was in Kindergarten and we took her out for 6 days and this year, 5 days.

My biggest fear is then she'll get sick!

I'm not sure what we'll do when both my DD's are in grade school and their in 1st grade and 5th grade! I think we'll just have to see how they do in school and how much work they get then! Take it year by hear. Not gonna worry about it now, though.

Congrats!

Congrats! I had a similiar situtation on Tuesday at parent conferences. My DS is in second grade and his teacher was just fine with it. He will be out for five school days and she said she would make him a packet of work if I wanted her too. I just put the official letter for school in the mail, so I think we are all set!! Tonia

Had my confrences today and told both my DD's teachers of our trip. They will miss 11 days of school. Both were fine, neither expressed any concern. Now i just hope they are as cooperative in THREE weeks. I still have to go to the office and fill out the independent study paperwork.

Make sure you bring her back a nice thank you from your trip!

Wow that's so nice. At our school the teacher is fine with a Monday through Friday absence, but the principal is not. It will be "unexcused." Oh well. Family times like these are what children remember the most. Have a wonderful trip!!!

Wow! After all the posts thought I'd check our school's policy...

In our area, 3 unexcused absences will result in an "F" for the quarter. An administrator has the option of waiving this penalty one time.

They do, thank goodness, offer an out in that a pre-arranged absence can be granted at the discretion of the "alpha administrator" and all work must be made up before the child returns to class.

OUCH!

We are taking DS to WDW in Dec. and he will miss 3 days of school. Cleared it with his teachers (he has two- one for Spanish/one for English-he's in the language immersion program), but I guess I better contact the principal.

Anyway, they were wonderful and asked that he keep a journal to share, that we do something with geography (we figure mapping the Epcot countries), and practice his "math facts". They said, "I guess as a teacher I should say don't pull your child out for vacation, but as a parent and realizing how important family time and a great vacation can be- I say go".

We usually try to schedule our off-season vacation around teacher work days or spring break, but sometimes that just doesn't work out.

PS- We'll be taking him out one day early for Spring Break in order to save $250 on airfare. Bet that won't go over well with the County...

wow, here if they miss more than 5 unexcused days (and vacation days will not be excused) in a 1/2 yr they will automatically fail that grade.

I know the feeling of being nervous, when telling the teacher. I too let our DD teacher know at parent teacher conference that we are going to Disney for 11 days. She will miss 8 of them days. Her teachers were very good about it. Wished they could go. Asked about homework.They said they would send her with a few things but that she would learn more in the 11 days at Disney than back at school. I love these boards. Its so nice to know other people worry about these things too.

We leave Dec.8th to Dec.18th. Cant wait!!:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Ouch raelee, That is strict. At my sons school he can miss up to 20 days. When you get to High School it is 10.

Sorry, but at the point the school will not let our kids out for vacation, we will homeschool full time.

When we take our kids out for vacation they learn more than they could possibly learn in a week or two of school.

Our boys are ahead and "A" students... not sure if I would feel differently if they were struggling. Maybe, maybe not.

Family time is waaaaaay too precious.:D

Originally posted by CJMickeyMouse
Sorry, but at the point the school will not let our kids out for vacation, we will homeschool full time.

When we take our kids out for vacation they learn more than they could possibly learn in a week or two of school.
Family time is waaaaaay too precious.:D
Amen to that! We take ours out 1 week a year and they are in grades 7,5,2,and preK.
I went into to talk to the middle school principal last week and she was WONDERFUL!!!!!!! She said "In this day and age kids don't get enough one on one family time and it is so vital to there growth and development" She suggested we go 2WEEKS LOL! I wish! She also arranged for DD(7th grade) to miss her practice at volleyball and sent a memo to her teachers for her classwork.
I met with Ds's(5th grade) teacher as he only has 1...and she was very excited about it, she is giing him a journal and would like a daily update on what he learned and he will give an oral report when he returns(with "props" such as photos, souveniers etc)

My ds's 2nd grade teacher is gung ho about it to..he will also keep a journal and draw pictures of things he sees.

Anyway, the day they don't 'allow' us to do what we want with OUR own children we will homeschool as well.
But all of my kids are on high honor roll (overall average of 95) and have no absentee or disipline problems so this was a huge factor!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter