My daughter's return to Disneyland after losing her leg to cancer...

brentm77

DIS Veteran
We are taking my daughter (21) back to Disneyland in May, after fighting bone cancer for a year and losing one of her legs. It's going to be a very low-key event, since she won't have stamina to ride too much, but she just wants to be back in the parks again.

I have tried contacting Disney to see if there is anything we can do to make it more special for her first time back, but only received generic responses. If I am being 100% honest, I was hoping someone would have thrown her a bone and done some extra magic - I have no idea what that would have looked like, but was hoping for something unique for her. On the other hand, I know there are many others who have had very difficult experiences and Disney would be overwhelmed if they did something special for everyone.

I asked if they could help us purchase Star Wars night tickets (we would pay for them) when the come out, because that's a key reason why we picked the date, since she is a huge Star Wars fan and she will be disappointed if we can't get tickets, but they didn't even acknowledge that question.

So - I am throwing it out here in a shameless attempt to see if anyone has any connections that could hook her up. If you knew this girl and the year she had, all while still smiling and having a great attitude, you would understand why I am trying to find something to make it special. Again, I don't know what it would be - maybe someone helping us get her into Club 33 (at our cost of course), a behind the scenes peak at something, special seating for a show, I really don't know. This isn't my normal style, but I would do anything for her at this point.

She's too old for Make a Wish, and we have the means to take her on a trip on our own, we just don't have the connections to do anything above and beyond like you see on the Make a Wish trips.

Or, if anyone wants to jump in with ideas for amputees, or anything they have done on their own to make a visit like this unique, that would be very welcome too.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I don't know how extensive your budget is, but if it's a very large budget, maybe you could consider a VIP tour? This is something I have never done, but I understand it is extremely personalized and special. Curious to hear what others think!

Sorry to hear how much your daughter (and you!) have gone through. I hope it's a magical trip for your family.

I don't know how extensive your budget is, but if it's a very large budget, maybe you could consider a VIP tour? This is something I have never done, but I understand it is extremely personalized and special. Curious to hear what others think!

Sorry to hear how much your daughter (and you!) have gone through. I hope it's a magical trip for your family.

Frist, thank you for your kind comments. Great idea. My concern is whether she would benefit enough from it. I know many people do it for easy ride access, but I think her endurance isn't going to be high enough yet to ride a lot of rides. But I think I will reach out to them and see what type of tour they could put together to decide if the cost would be worth it.

Yes - Grand Californian. We wanted to be a close as possible for the first time back. Good idea. I will look into club level pricing and maybe even reach out to the hotel before upgrading to discuss it.

Last edited:
Yes - Grand Californian. We wanted to be a close as possible for the first time back. Good idea. I will look into club level pricing and maybe even reach out to the hotel before upgrading to discuss it.
I think if you talk to the hotel and the cast members when you are actually at the park they can probably help you figure out things and make it easier. The ones who reply to messages/phone are not usually actually at the parks and cannot guarantee anything since they don't work at the resorts.

This ⬆️

Call the GCH directly and explain your situation. I highly recommend CL for your trip. Your daughter will be treated like royalty and she will have a place to retreat to other than your room for snacks, food and fun drinks. It will keep her in the Disney magic without the stress of the crowds. etc. The balcony for fireworks and dessert is magical.

Thinking about y'all. Sounds like you have a very brave young woman, there. Hope she has a great trip!

We are taking my daughter (21) back to Disneyland in May, after fighting bone cancer for a year and losing one of her legs. It's going to be a very low-key event, since she won't have stamina to ride too much, but she just wants to be back in the parks again.

I have tried contacting Disney to see if there is anything we can do to make it more special for her first time back, but only received generic responses. If I am being 100% honest, I was hoping someone would have thrown her a bone and done some extra magic - I have no idea what that would have looked like, but was hoping for something unique for her. On the other hand, I know there are many others who have had very difficult experiences and Disney would be overwhelmed if they did something special for everyone.

I asked if they could help us purchase Star Wars night tickets (we would pay for them) when the come out, because that's a key reason why we picked the date, since she is a huge Star Wars fan and she will be disappointed if we can't get tickets, but they didn't even acknowledge that question.

So - I am throwing it out here in a shameless attempt to see if anyone has any connections that could hook her up. If you knew this girl and the year she had, all while still smiling and having a great attitude, you would understand why I am trying to find something to make it special. Again, I don't know what it would be - maybe someone helping us get her into Club 33 (at our cost of course), a behind the scenes peak at something, special seating for a show, I really don't know. This isn't my normal style, but I would do anything for her at this point.

She's too old for Make a Wish, and we have the means to take her on a trip on our own, we just don't have the connections to do anything above and beyond like you see on the Make a Wish trips.

Or, if anyone wants to jump in with ideas for amputees, or anything they have done on their own to make a visit like this unique, that would be very welcome too.

Thanks!
Call the Walt Disney Travel Company or the Grand Californian Hotel directly. Tell them you want Star Wars night tickets.
I think she should be able to do some of the rides but at a relaxed pace. I suggest getting special seating for one of the parades through dining packages. I wish I had connections I dont. You have to call them directly. Emails won't get the best results. The GCH has disaabled/Handicapped rooms. Ask about concierge /lounge service level. I also suggest the World of Color Dessert party..they can help you get tickets and arrange for a great table. I hope you and your family and daughter have a great trip. God Bless your daughter and I wish her well and a great trip.

Last edited:
Some possibilities

Princess Breakfast at Napa Rose. Don't forget to bring a tiara!

Chef's Counter at Napa Rose, or maybe dinner (and wine pairing?).

Now just throwing this out there since it's EXTREMELY expensive (I think it's $15,000) and probably has a wait list, but there is also the 21 Royal dinner in NOS. Unlike Club 33, you don't have to have (or know someone with) a membership, you just have to get a reservation and put up some serious dough. That $15k covers up to 12 people, but the one making the reservation is responsible for the cost so if you go in with others and they fail to pony up, you're stuck with paying for them.

Edited to add link for 21 Royal https://www.21royaldisneyland.com/

Some possibilities

Princess Breakfast at Napa Rose. Don't forget to bring a tiara!

Chef's Counter at Napa Rose, or maybe dinner (and wine pairing?).

Now just throwing this out there since it's EXTREMELY expensive (I think it's $15,000) and probably has a wait list, but there is also the 21 Royal dinner in NOS. Unlike Club 33, you don't have to have (or know someone with) a membership, you just have to get a reservation and put up some serious dough. That $15k covers up to 12 people, but the one making the reservation is responsible for the cost so if you go in with others and they fail to pony up, you're stuck with paying for them.

Edited to add link for 21 Royal https://www.21royaldisneyland.com/
Oh wow, that’s so cool! I had never heard of this until just now. Even with the promotional video I feel like I’ve had a great experience 😂

Most magical upgrades or pixie dust for you are likely to happen once you are there and face-to-face with the awesome front-line cast members, rather than an unknown person at the other end of a phone or email who may be a bit jaded by people saying they have special circumstances but might not, just to try to get something. That said, there are some good ideas here from others. Dessert packages with reserved show seating, meal reservations, Club level etc are all things you can control and acquire now to plus up your trip. And calling the hotel to see about Star Wars tickets is a great idea. Best to your family and especially to your daughter. We had to do Disneyland for several years with a wheelchair and health issues. It changes the pace and what you can do on the trip, but it's still just as magical if not more so to be out of the world and in a happy place. Here's hoping you get pixie-dusted numerous times on the trip! :)

Just prior to Covid, there were several of us here on DIS who were going to go in on a dinner, but before we could make a reservation, everything shut down. No one has mentioned it since.

I am in a group on facebook where we (people) are always trying to coordinate dates and make it happen. It has for many of us...my time will come some day!

Lots of good ideas above. My husband is a double leg amputee, so we are always trying to find ways to enjoy the normal things with less wait, standing, chaos.

Anything where he can stand less. I'd recommend things like the WOC dessert party, the Tommorland Skyline Terrace experience, things like that...having a dedicated space/seat for ANYthing really helps overall!

Good luck, I am glad she gets to go to her happy place

Thanks!
How wonderful that your daughter will be able to come to her happy place, even if she’s not 100%. I have a feeling a lot of magic will happen once she’s here. I hope you can get Star Wars night tickets!

Other splurge ideas that have been mentioned but that I second include the World of Color Dessert Party, Napa Rose Princess Breakfast, or VIP Tour.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter