Mvmcp

abbs25

Mouseketeer
Have any of you solo travelers ever done all of the Christmas activities, such as Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party? I was thinking about going solo in the beginning of December and would appreciate any solo advice.

Thanks,
Abby

Just did that solo last year.

I met a few nice people waiting in line for that Evening Pin and for the line for the Previous Evenings Pins. (Actually some nice, Very Nice lady gave me a Pass Holder pin for free. So of course, in the Disney Spirit I bought 2 of that nights pins and gave one away) If you thought waiting for the Current evening pin is bad..you have to wait for the stores to reopen...the line for any of the previous pins that are left is even longer. It felt like HOURS and hours.

Off topic, sorry. So having said that. If you are in MK the night of the Parade, you have to go to Futureland and hang out there while the rest of the park closes for those who don't have tickets OR book yourself dinner in one of the restaurants and stay there until the official party kicks off. You also have to find one of the CM to mark you special ticket and give you your Wrist Band. You can go to the front of the park at the gates or there should be some CMs around the Castle to do it for you.

It's kind of boring walking around because all the rides aren't open and they are BUSY. You'll need to get Fast Passes for them. My night wasn't sold out and it was COLD and it was still busy! (mittens, sweater, jacket and Santa hat cold) It was busier that night, in that park than any other time the whole week I was there.

You get your picture taken for free and they mail it to you. You can pick up hot chocolate and cookies for free at various places around the park. There are a few shows but I didn't go to them. I just wandered around, took some video and waited for the first Parade and then Wishes. The park was still open for a while, so I got out and went back to my room before the crowds.

I also picked up 2 balloons that night. My normal Mickey/Minnie one and the Double Xmas balloon. Mickey ear shaped one inside a giant clear balloon. So that is another reason I left before closing.

Having said all that, would I do it again? Hmmmm, it would depend on how good the special event pins were that you could buy. Now if I had others with me...then Yep but only one night. Ask me this again around late November, I might be going back for another Birthday/Christmas visit. ::MickeyMo

WDWR

Thanks for the information on your experience. I am really considering it as long as I don't change jobs before then. I would love to hear back from anyone else who has done WDW solo at Christmas time.

Thanks,
Abby

well, I am going to Disney in Dec. some of the time solo, my DD is coming down after I am there for a few days. I have to do my MVMCP solo due to the dates she is coming down! so this should be interesting!

I have attended Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party almost solo. My husband ended up getting sick after about an hour after being in the MK. He went back to the hotel and I stayed around until the park closed. I really enjoyed myself. I took my time, went through a lot of the shops that my husband would be bored to tears in, rode several rides and took advantage of the cookies and hot chocolate throughout the park. :teeth:

I think you will really have a good time. IMHO, December is one of the best times to go to Disney and MVMCP is a must do!!!! The parade is a lot of fun, the Christmas decorations are great, and the fireworks are ....well....extra special. The fireworks go off all around the MK .... not just behind the castle. Totally awesome! I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. I think you should go for it!

I did MVMCP solo in December, 2003 and thoroughly enjoyed myself--apart from nearly freezing to death! Keep in mind that I live in a warm climate, so while I was dressed in a cami, long sleeved shirt and blazer topped by a reversible fleece/water repellant jacket (equivalent of a pant coat), there were others wearing shorts and a fleece hoody! :earseek: It was very clear (no cloud cover) and very cold--even the CMs were bundled up and trying to stay warm.

Had absolutely no idea what I was doing when I went in. Picked up a schedule and sat for a bit at...can't remember the name, but it's in Tomorrowland and where they have the first performance. My plan was to focus on performances and fill in with rides, which worked well for the most part.

Attended MVMCP twice in 2004, first with a group from another board (the group split and rejoined several times based on interests) and the other night with one member of that board. While I enjoyed the large group, it's much more manageable solo or with one or two other people!

One thing we learned last year is that if you are not using a park ticket on the day of MVMCP, they may allow you to enter about 4:30 p.m. That isn't always the case, so you may have to wait a bit if you arrive then. They probably will let you in by 5 p.m. as the regular park guests begin to leave.

Get your event bracelet (have them fold back and secure the floppy end so it doesn't catch on everything), pick up several event schedules (need some for the scrapbook!) and head into Tomorrowland. We were able to ride the new Stitch attraction (not worth the wait, so it was a good time to do it), Buzz Lightyear (my first time--fun, but definitely lack hand & eye coordination!) and TTA before picking up dinner at Cosmic Ray's and heading into the theatre about 30 minutes before the first performance of the evening. While we ate dinner and waited for the first performance, we plotted our evening, which worked beautifully!

The weather for both nights in 2004 was absolutely gorgeous! The first night was a bit cool--a couple of people had to purchase sweatshirts--and the second night didn't get cool until around 11:00 p.m.

Meant to add that I probably will be doing MVMCP solo the first night it's offered this year if my current plans solidfy and don't evaporate! I've booked my room (November 19th - November 28th) and am waiting for Southwest to release their November airfare. I've managed to keep the airfare at the $200 mark on previous trips (Phoenix AZ to Orlando FL), but have a feeling it's going to be in the $300 to $350 range this year. AmericaWest is $400 plus fees and taxes.

If any of the holiday tours are offered during the week I'm there, I'd like to take one of those, as well as the KTTK tour at MK. Beyond that, I'm going to relax and enjoy myself! I'm planning a day at SeaWorld, as well. Haven't gone to the one in Orlando yet. WDW always keeps me busy! :)

Thanks for the great information, it sounds like it can still be very enjoyable solo. I have visited Disney right after Christmas before and I loved the decorations that I found in the parks. I plan to go the first full week of December when it shouldn't be too crowded. I also would plan to go around to all of the hotels and check out the decorations.

How late can you wait to buy a ticket for MVMCP? I probably won't decide for sure for a couple of months, but if need be I might go ahead and purchase the ticket now.

Thanks again!
Abby

Since you have to purchase an MVMCP ticket for a specific date, you'll want to wait until your plans are solid. Technically, no refunds, but a few people who had to cancel due to circumstances well beyond their control have received refunds in the past.

As long as you aren't attending MVMCP on a Friday night (when many locals go) or toward the end of the schedule, you probably can purchase your tickets on site. I purchased mine in October for my 2003 trip (mid-December), and purchased both nights after arriving at WDW last year. One night was a Thursday, the other Sunday. Guest relations at each resort sells tickets (except APs, apparently!).

The nice thing about advance orders is your ticket will have a Disney character on it. The ones purchased at WDW are the same as your resort key. I don't know if that is true if you purchase the tickets in the parks. I purchased mine as soon as I checked in, before toddling off to my room!

I just finished scrapbooking my first solo in Nov 2003, I had a great time.
I went over to EPCOT for awhile, then headed over to MK--Mickey's on Parade was going on so I checked them out, then headed into MK, and felt the Christmas Spirit going. I ate dinner at LT, and planned my attack during dinner. I watched both the show's (Tomorrowland Theater and the Castle Show), then fireworks, and waited for the last parade, less crowded and less traffic driving home at the end of the night.
I'm planning for this year, and I think the parties earlier are less crowded, at least that's what I've read in Dis.
You'll have a great time, and waiting for stuff I've met some of the nicest people. At the Castle show, one of the people standing next to me was so excited because her daughter was chosen to be an extra dancer, she even had a solo dance role and it was fun applauding louder for someone I didn't know but was so excited about the opportunity. (I believe they only take additional dancer's for holiday shows of about 12 or 14 people so to be chosen is a big honor).
You'll have a great time.
Lynn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter