Mulan being released next month on Disney Plus

I think the $20-30 price point is about right for direct-release first run movies... but I don't see myself paying it. I haven't for anything else so far. Not because I object to the cost but because I just don't enjoy watching movies at home - it really takes the dedicated experience of going to a movie theatre for most things to hold my attention for a solid two hours, and watching at home is just too likely to be plagued with too many distractions. The phone, the door, the dog, the kids... it just isn't the same as sitting down in a dark, quiet, distraction-free space to immerse yourself in the story.

I wish more major studios were doing limited drive-in releases along side their direct-to-streaming options, though. We've gone to the drive in a bunch of times this summer, and they're showing classic (80s) movies since nothing new is coming out. Which is fun, but seeing Mulan at the drive in would be even more fun!

Already having a service and having to pay more=nope for me.

In regards to movie pricing:

1) Not everyone is that coveted family of 4 (I know shocking!)
2) Pre-COVID we would go to $5 movie Tuesdays..so $10+ tax for 2 of us
3) We have a bunch of rewards and on top of that gift cards so for us seeing Mulan in theaters would have cost us $0

Then again I'm not normally for even buying U-Verse movies at like $6.99 I'm clearly not their target market lol

Already having a service and having to pay more=nope for me.

In regards to movie pricing:

1) Not everyone is that coveted family of 4 (I know shocking!)
2) Pre-COVID we would go to $5 movie Tuesdays..so $10+ tax for 2 of us
3) We have a bunch of rewards and on top of that gift cards so for us seeing Mulan in theaters would have cost us $0

Then again I'm not normally for even buying U-Verse movies at like $6.99 I'm clearly not their target market lol

Right, not everyone is the family of four, but they can't charge for an individual because you could have a ton of people over to watch it - those people would have all needed a ticket. They are simply trying to find a price that makes sense in the market. If you want to wait, it will be on D+ for free eventually, as it would have been after it's theatrical run and home video release, just like any other movie.

Last edited:
Right, not everyone is the family of four, but they can't charge for an individual because you could have a ton of people over to watch it - those people would have all needed a ticket. They are simply trying to find a price that makes sense int he market. If you want to wait, it will be on D+ for free eventually, as it would have been after it's theatrical run and home video release, just like any other movie.
I'm not debating why they are charging what they are charging :) and of course no they don't formulate their pricing based on how many people are watching (none of them do that for VOD/SOD as far as I know and I'm okay with that makes sense to me).

We actually were going to see Mulan in theaters back in March with local DISers but unless we all get together and watch the movie together and split the cost (if all 6 of us that would be okay with meeting it would make that $5/person) I'm down for just waiting until the library gets the DVD or Disney makes it free on Disney+ whichever comes first. Like I said I'm clearly in their target market.

In any case my comment about family of four is because people often use that to speak as a generality (often versus personal level). Plenty of us aren't that outdated formula for what a family constitutes (plenty are, plenty aren't) or not every member of one's family would be engaging in whatever it is being discussed and so it can impact our perception of value (much like many things like movie pricing where one is at).

I totally understand what you're saying in your above comment though

We’ll get it. We had planned on seeing it at the theater and by the time we paid for tickets and snacks it would be more than $30.

So if we pay the 30 dollars how long do we get the movie for? Sad part is I see Disney doing this for other movies.
Welcome to the future!

The public wanted unbundled channels. This is just the next step, unbundling movies.

People will need 5-10 different streaming services to get what they got previously with their primary cable or satellite provider.

Theaters started their "streaming" subscriptions with the AMC Stubs A-list and others but Covid-19 killed those.

Fight night priced pay-per-view new released movies are the future. I expect that DVD/BluRay releases will occur much slower for movies released this way.
In Disney's quarterly earnings call today, they made it clear that releasing Mulan to Disney+ was a one-off event. With theaters overseas open for business, they had to fulfill contractual obligations and begin the global release of the movie.

We tend to do $6 movie deals. It’s only two of us, so $12.

For $30, we’ll just wait for the Blu-ray.

If you compare it to an outing for a family at the movie theater, it could certainly work out less expensively.

However, since people will be watching this in a home environment and no one is making your snacks for you, then I personally find it more comparable to buying the movie when it comes out, and it's typically cheaper to buy the movie---at least by a bit.

So basically I think it comes down to how patient people are willing to be about watching a movie they've already been waiting quite some time to see. I think some folks will say "Eh, I'll wait a bit longer" while other may simply be busy actually leaving their house now that they are allowed to do so, and they aren't in a movie-watching mindset at all. So, it depends how many people are in neither of those categories and still want to see Mulan! :)

In any case my comment about family of four is because people often use that to speak as a generality (often versus personal level). Plenty of us aren't that outdated formula for what a family constitutes (plenty are, plenty aren't) or not every member of one's family would be engaging in whatever it is being discussed and so it can impact our perception of value (much like many things like movie pricing where one is at).

Hey, I'm not the family of four either, but to Disney that is their number one target audience. Nearly everything they do is geared toward it.

Hey, I'm not the family of four either, but to Disney that is their number one target audience. Nearly everything they do is geared toward it.
I was speaking about the generalities of people (not necessarily corporations) using family of four to describe this and that. Disney didn't market this decision by saying "for a family of four it would end up being $X amount per person" (like they might when it comes to ticket package deals) people are the one who made that general comment basically automatically. These days it's just outdated anyways but you're right :) many things are geared towards it none the less.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter