Most of the DVC units look, well, just outdated

so then what exactly do our dues get allocated to?
Pool rehabs? Painting? Landscaping?
If any of these, why do they need to be rehabbed and kept up and not the interior rooms. You could argue that all of these are exterior cosmetics that everyone sees but everyone sees the inside of the rooms too so that argument is out the window....
They do spend alot of money and time doing painting, landscaping,etc
then why cant the do anything to keep the rooms looking like they are from this century and not from 1970...I dont think the idea of the beach club villas was for it to look like the 1970s new england,,,,and if that is the case, being a new englander beach going person, they missed the mark on theming with the villas side, the regular resort side is much better and I would like to see my dues go towards modernization of the villa rooms, this can still be accompolished while keeping the theme alive

As an owner, I have no interest in spending my dollars to rehab the villas to meet the needs of people who want to rent points to save money. Just my two cents! I like it just fine and it's my second home. If renters don't like it--don't rent. Problem solved for all!

If any of these, why do they need to be rehabbed and kept up and not the interior rooms. You could argue that all of these are exterior cosmetics that everyone sees but everyone sees the inside of the rooms too so that argument is out the window....
then why cant the do anything to keep the rooms looking like they are from this century and not from 1970...I dont think the idea of the beach club villas was for it to look like the 1970s new england,,,,and if that is the case, being a new englander beach going person, they missed the mark on theming with the villas side, the regular resort side is much better and I would like to see my dues go towards modernization of the villa rooms, this can still be accompolished while keeping the theme alive

Most of the reserve fund goes to interior refurbishment. I have the 2011 BWV statement and dues for 2011 were:

Roof Replacement/Repair: $460,041 - .0941 per point
Interior Refurbishment: $3,661,259 - .7489
Exterior Building Painting: $420,441 - .0860
Common Element Renovation $166,221 - .0340
Pavement Resurfacing $28,844 - .0059

then why cant the do anything to keep the rooms looking like they are from this century and not from 1970...I dont think the idea of the beach club villas was for it to look like the 1970s new england,,,

Beach Club Villas just opened in 2002. If you thought the look was 30 years outdated when it opened its doors, why did you buy in the first place?

Seriously :confused3

Surely you maintain your own home, painting, mowing the grass, etc more often than buying a new stove or tv replacing one that works just because something new came out.

There is a difference in maintenance and cosmetics.

While at the Doorway to Dreams store on Tuesday, I asked one of the workers about the updates at resorts that could use them. He said that part of the updates were to replace the carpet with flooring. Should help to give the rooms a nicer look.

now tha'd be nice..Those OKW rooms look 1000 times better with the hardwood flooring....even if its laminate......
Still looks awesome but guess what, it was updated and still reflects its theme....THey could do this to the beach club and still keep the theme alive

While at the Doorway to Dreams store on Tuesday, I asked one of the workers about the updates at resorts that could use them. He said that part of the updates were to replace the carpet with flooring. Should help to give the rooms a nicer look.

now tha'd be nice..Those OKW rooms look 1000 times better with the hardwood flooring....even if its laminate......
Still looks awesome but guess what, it was updated and still reflects its theme....THey could do this to the beach club and still keep the theme alive

OKW was opened in 1993. BCV was opened in 2002. BCV will get their renovation in nine more years.

I believe it would be a very boring world if we all liked the same things (decor, colors, clothing, styles, etc.) I myself am not a fan of the modern look at BLT. But it doesn't mean I wouldn't stay there. What area I want to be in for any given stay determines where I want to be. I also would much prefer to stay in the Vacation Club facitlities over the regular hotel rooms. I like to have a choice of rooms (studio, 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom and 3 bedroom villas) plus the conveniences that these rooms have (washer and dryers, refrigerators, dishwashers, stoves, jacuzzi tubs, living rooms and dining areas that are separate from the bedrooms. So bottom line the decor does not come first!!!

OKW was opened in 1993. BCV was opened in 2002. BCV will get their renovation in nine more years.

Actually, OKW opened in December, 1991 as "Disney Vacation Club Resort." We had our first stay there in the spring of 1992. I miss those peach colored towels!

Actually, OKW opened in December, 1991 as "Disney Vacation Club Resort." We had our first stay there in the spring of 1992. I miss those peach colored towels!

That's right. So BCV has to wait 11 years for total renovation.

Would VB and HHI be next for complete renovations? We went to VB last summer and the inn room was in great shape except the bathroom had not been updated at all except for paint. I noticed a lot of cracked shower tiles that needed replaced. Why didn't they update the bathrooms?

Would VB and HHI be next for complete renovations? We went to VB last summer and the inn room was in great shape except the bathroom had not been updated at all except for paint. I noticed a lot of cracked shower tiles that needed replaced. Why didn't they update the bathrooms?

Cost.

:earsboy: Bill

I think it's longer than that since even OKW didn't get a total rennovation yet.
Okay, BCV has to wait 11 years for an 85% renovation. ;)

In the OKW renovation, they did nothing in the bathrooms except maybe paint the mirror frame.

I guess cost is the reason they are not updating any of the bathrooms beyond a coat of paint. But, I think that after 10 years, some repairs should be made at least on the broken tiles. Grout should at least be cleaned and replaced as needed. Otherwise, it looks really shabby!

I guess cost is the reason they are not updating any of the bathrooms beyond a coat of paint. But, I think that after 10 years, some repairs should be made at least on the broken tiles. Grout should at least be cleaned and replaced as needed. Otherwise, it looks really shabby!

Members are upset that some properties for 2012 took a 8% dues increase. What do you think they would say if that number was 15%?

:earsboy: Bill

Hi Bill,

I get it. Nobody wants to pay too much. But, when I bought into DVC, I bought it thinking it would be maintained as a deluxe accommodation. Maybe I misunderstood? My family only takes one week a year so far. We want to enjoy our trip. It is not an economy trip for us and I don't want to stay in a place that I feel is gross. At VB, I wore shoes in the bathroom because it was so nasty. It didn't ruin my trip at all. But, my husband was less than impressed. We expect more from Disney. I wonder when Disney budgets for things if they get more than one quote and get competitive rates for work? I hope so. I know others may disagree with me, but I would rather pay a little more and enjoy my vacation!

. At VB, I wore shoes in the bathroom because it was so nasty.

Sure, no one wants astronomical maint. fees but when you go through a so called "full" refurb. then I don't think it's too much to ask that the bathrooms, if not totally re-done, will at least be thouroughly cleaned. OKW has the hugest grout lines that I've ever seen and after the refurb, they did not appear any cleaner. There are products and applications that can be used that would have dramatically improved the appearance and cleanliness who those bathrooms. Adding a dark mirror does not a bathroom refurb. make! Nothing was changed or touched, not the cabinetry (the pickled finish does show signs of age and was not repaired, refinished etc.) , not the countertops, it's all original including the tile (some chipped) and that grout!

I never thought that they would "gut" the OKW bathrooms but I had reasonable expectations that the flooring/dirty grout would be stripped, cleaned and resealed!

...I never thought that they would "gut" the OKW bathrooms but I had reasonable expectations that the flooring/dirty grout would be stripped, cleaned and resealed!

After they did the alligator finish on the coffee table, they didn't have money left to do the bathroom cleaning. :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter