Mosque shooting

sunshinehighway

DIS Veteran
Is there already a thread on this? I looked but couldn't find one. I know we have many Canadian posters. What a terrible, senseless tragedy.

I haven't seen a thread on it. I suspect that's because... well, once you've expressed your horror, anger and sadness, what else can you say that won't involve politics somehow?

I will say, I took great comfort from the mass turnouts yesterday, both in the vigils in memory of the victims held across Canada, and in the protests organized for other reasons on that same day.

It's shameful that it's not getting 24/7 coverage like every time a Muslim is the suspect.

Not saying that it needs 24/7 coverage..it's just blatant that it's not deemed as newsworthy.

How about we just pray for healing in Canada and for the people of the Mosque and Muslim community rather than turning this into something political?

No sense assuming everyone is going to agree on this topic.

I love how it was called a terrorist attack by the PM.

Yes, me too!

He's been saying quite a few things lately, that I very much approve of, including this:

"Canadians will not be broken by this violence. Our spirit & unity will only strengthen – we will mourn, and we will heal, together."

It's shameful that it's not getting 24/7 coverage like every time a Muslim is the suspect.

Not saying that it needs 24/7 coverage..it's just blatant that it's not deemed as newsworthy.

It's definitely been getting 24/7 coverage in my neck of the woods (Ontario, Canada).

Where are you located?

Unfortunately there is alot of other stuff going on right now that is big news here in the US. I think if that was not the case, this tragedy would be front page everywhere.

Thoughts and prayers to the families of the victims, and to the survivors who were witnesses.

We were discussing it on another board I'm on but it turned really ugly really fast. I imagine posters here probably thought the same would happen and that is why there was no thread.

Unfortunately there is alot of other stuff going on right now that is big news here in the US. I think if that was not the case, this tragedy would be front page everywhere.

Thoughts and prayers to the families of the victims, and to the survivors who were witnesses.

We were discussing it on another board I'm on but it turned really ugly really fast. I imagine posters here probably thought the same would happen and that is why there was no thread.

I do agree that there is a lot of things that need coverage right now.

I do agree that there is a lot of things that need coverage right now.

I could use a little less coverage of that stuff. I think the Quebec shooting should be talked about more. I checked one website this morning and there was nothing about it. I was kind of shocked.

I could use a little less coverage of that stuff. I think the Quebec shooting should be talked about more. I checked one website this morning and there was nothing about it. I was kind of shocked.

You could always hang out on CBC.ca. I'm a little annoyed that they released the name of a witness, claiming he was a suspect, and I'm irritated that they're passing the blame by saying that they got the name from a "police source" (aka, a random person at the station), but they're certainly giving us a lot of coverage.

How about we just pray for healing in Canada and for the people of the Mosque and Muslim community rather than turning this into something political?

No sense assuming everyone is going to agree on this topic.

I generally agree with your first statement (although I don't pray). But I'm confused by your second statement. What is there to disagree about?

I generally agree with your first statement (although I don't pray). But I'm confused by your second statement. What is there to disagree about?

Not the shooting itself but the events leading up to it. There are many opinions about the things going on and what may or may not have led to this tragedy. I will leave it at that.

Not the shooting itself but the events leading up to it. There are many opinions about the things going on and what may or may not have led to this tragedy. I will leave it at that.

I was very pleased to see all parties in the House of Commons united yesterday, with regards to the shooting. No one (in Canadian leadership, anyway) attempted to use it in a political manner. That could conceivably change in the weeks to come, but I hope not. And, given whom the perpetrator appears to be, I think I have reason to be hopeful. He's a terrorist, sure, but not the kind who can be stopped at borders or identified by race, religion or any other means.

What's the difference between a terrorist and a mass murderer? Is it simply defined by who the act was carried out by and who it was carried out against?

What's the difference between a terrorist and a mass murderer? Is it simply defined by who the act was carried out by and who it was carried out against?

A terrorist: a person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

A mass murderer: a person who murders a large number of people.

By choosing a mosque and the random Muslim worshipers within as his target, this mass murderer became a terrorist by definition. If he had instead killed six members of his own family, then he'd be just a mass murderer. (By the way, the Charleston church shooter is also a terrorist, and should have been referred to as such.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter