More Dining Info from AllEars

Status
Not open for further replies.
To most of us I think it is about saving money on your vacation the best way if you can. You have to look at the savings as a whole. Not just the dining plan by itself. Now I am not an experienced disser so from what I have gathered, you have to pay at rack rate to get the dining plan because they consider that your savings. If you are going to save up to 25-30% on the new dining plan (and that seems to be generous), you could no doubt save so much more on your room with a code. It just does not make any sense to me. Now I realize there are those few and I am sorry very few who want to eat 2-3 table service meals and let your vacation revolve around food, so perhaps the deluxe plan works for you or for those who may be dvc owners it might work if you never use your kitchen. I just don't see this working for the average family visiting Disney. I find the new plan crazy. Why would you offer a wine package. How many people are really going to take that offer. To take a dollar off the whole package and remove two major components of the myw dining plan seems like they are planning on new visitors to take them up on this offer. For those of us who have gone before it seems like a no brainer. No way. I will look for a promo code on my room Thanks. JMHO:)

the deluxe plan is very tempting! I know for us, we can do 2 TS a day by having a very early lunch(11am) and then dinner again at 7pm.

If we got hungry we'd be able to grab a snack around 3. My kids would love it b/c now they'd get TWO snack credits a day.

I'm now wondering if the snacks would be limited again?

We use credits everyday for breakfast... 1/2 gal of milk, box of donuts.

With the deluxe plan we'd still have tons left over for the really good stuff.

By the way MICKEY 2000 I am whith you! WHATTTT:scared1: I think that guy works for disney in the accounting department and he is on here to try and convince us that Disney always knows best!:confused:

Well that would be enough to make me decide to not use the Dining Plan for future visits. I'm very glad we have it booked for our Dec trip but that will probably be the last time we use it if those changes are the real deal.

Agreed.

Now I am not an experienced disser so from what I have gathered, you have to pay at rack rate to get the dining plan because they consider that your savings.

That varies from code to code. We booked with the late summer discount and got a great BC room rate ($240) and that code did apply to packages as well. So we've got the discounted room rate and the DDP.

I sure hope they rethink this before 2008. We loved the dining plan in January and were hoping to use it next year, but we won't with the changes. We found that it worked well for us in January, because we usually spend $30-40 a day on food, and the DDP fit right into that. The benefit to us is that we were able to try out some nicer restaurants and eat a little better than we usually do. We did find that it was a lot of food, so I'm not willing to pay more to have too much food. We'll go back to our old way of saving money and not doing a TS everyday. I'd consider still doing it if you didn't have to do the plan for every day of your stay.

I know that ideally we'd all like the quality to go up along with the price, but I don't think that is going to happen.

The Deluxe plan seems a bit crazy to me--it just makes me realize what a great value Disney Cruise Line is. If I want 3 meals (possible 2-3 table service a day) for $70, I'll go on a cruise, spend a little more and have my accomodations & entertainment taken care of as well.

I am attempting to take a "glass half full" approach to this news. (somewhat of a new concept for me, but I'm working on it!) Now, I will have the chance to learn about offsite restaurants that I never even knew existed! Once you know every little detail about every dang place at WDW, the research becomes a bit boring.

We are doing the DDP in December for the first time. I'm so glad we are doing it now because I can't see us doing it again with the changes.

To most of us I think it is about saving money on your vacation the best way if you can. You have to look at the savings as a whole. Not just the dining plan by itself. Now I am not an experienced disser so from what I have gathered, you have to pay at rack rate to get the dining plan because they consider that your savings. If you are going to save up to 25-30% on the new dining plan (and that seems to be generous), you could no doubt save so much more on your room with a code. It just does not make any sense to me. Now I realize there are those few and I am sorry very few who want to eat 2-3 table service meals and let your vacation revolve around food, so perhaps the deluxe plan works for you or for those who may be dvc owners it might work if you never use your kitchen. I just don't see this working for the average family visiting Disney. I find the new plan crazy. Why would you offer a wine package. How many people are really going to take that offer. To take a dollar off the whole package and remove two major components of the myw dining plan seems like they are planning on new visitors to take them up on this offer. For those of us who have gone before it seems like a no brainer. No way. I will look for a promo code on my room Thanks. JMHO:)

Yep, same here. Our last dining plan trip will probably be in November, and trips after that we will pick a couple TS restaurants we really want to eat at and use the DDE to get 20% off, and grab CS and snacks for the rest. I am perfectly happy with a Mickey Bar as lunch, and the dining plan was way more food that I ever would have ordered, and my boys ended up splitting my leftover CS meals anyway.

We have loved using the dining plan and trying food and restaurants we wouldn't have tried without the plan (because it makes the trip too structured having to be somewhere to eat at a specific time every day, not because of the cost of TS restaurants).

The fact is when we go out at home (usually twice a week) we never order dessert, ever. Sometimes we order one appetizer for the table to split, so that's how we will order at Disney sans dining plan: an entree and one appetizer if something is particularly tempting! The only thing I will really miss is the convenience...I like knowing the food is paid for before we go.

Just some thoughts, questions:

People mention that the DVC pricing is not known at this point. Why would DVC pay a different price? They don't now, just different restrictions.

I cannot imagine many people who have to jump thru Disney's hoops (rack rate, must buy 1 ticket) partaking in this new DDP.

The DDP was something that we had to think long and hard about getting. We are DVC and can get it without any hoops and it was minimally a good deal, but we actually spent more money on the plan and ate entirely too much ;) . Having cooking facilities, it is a no-brainer....bye bye DDP.

I am sad for others that the plan is not as good. But for selfish reasons, I am glad. Now we can be spontaneous when at WDW for that rare occasion that we eat out.

I am attempting to take a "glass half full" approach to this news. (somewhat of a new concept for me, but I'm working on it!) Now, I will have the chance to learn about offsite restaurants that I never even knew existed! Once you know every little detail about every dang place at WDW, the research becomes a bit boring.

Lemons to lemonade! I like your style!:thumbsup2

I'm crunching some numbers and I can't see how the deluxe plan would be worth it to me.

I've been doing the same, using days from our current plan and trying to find a balance between cheap and expensive days. The delxue plan looks like it would be good for the way we eat, assuming that the rumors are correct as to pricing and the inclusion of the appetizer. It wouldn't be a huge moneysaver, but it would save us a little cash and would bring back the all inclusive aspect of the DDP that was lost for us as the kids have gotten older and we've started doing more sit down and signature meals.

Lunch: Teppanyaki, 1TS -$27
Dinner: Le Cellier, 1 TS - $46
Snacks: 2.50 (schoolbread) + 3.50 (mocha cappuchino) - $6
Total: $79 for 2 meals

Lunch: The Plaza, 1 TS - $22
Dinner: California Grill, 2TS - $66
Snacks: 4 (Dole Whip float) + 4 (Main Street Bakery goodie) - $8
Total: $96 for 3 meals

Lunch: Sunshine Seasons, 1CS - $17
Dinner: Coral Reef, 1TS - $49
Evening meal (Epcot EMH): Yakatori House, 1CS - $10
Snacks: 4 (mocha latte) - $4
Total: $80 for 3 meals

I think we'd come out slightly ahead with the plan, even with the exclusion of tip. The deciding factor might well be if/how the snack selections change, though, because if I can't use those snack credits for things we like, they're not useful to us at all. None of us are interested in 2 popcorns or Mickey bars per day, and with the refillable mugs included, I doubt we'll need many extra beverages except those that are treats in themselves, like floats and specialty coffees.

I am thinking because of the coming Changes in DDP
Disney may not offer Free Dining in 2008.

Just a thought and I know that Free Dining every year
in not a Guarantee and could never be offered again.

So glad I got in on it this Year.:yay:

I sure hope they rethink this before 2008. We loved the dining plan in January and were hoping to use it next year, but we won't with the changes. We found that it worked well for us in January, because we usually spend $30-40 a day on food, and the DDP fit right into that. The benefit to us is that we were able to try out some nicer restaurants and eat a little better than we usually do. We did find that it was a lot of food, so I'm not willing to pay more to have too much food. We'll go back to our old way of saving money and not doing a TS everyday. I'd consider still doing it if you didn't have to do the plan for every day of your stay.

I know that ideally we'd all like the quality to go up along with the price, but I don't think that is going to happen.

The Deluxe plan seems a bit crazy to me--it just makes me realize what a great value Disney Cruise Line is. If I want 3 meals (possible 2-3 table service a day) for $70, I'll go on a cruise, spend a little more and have my accomodations & entertainment taken care of as well.

You are right about the cruise. The nice thing too is that your kids can also order from the adult menu. Seeing the price of the deluxe dining plan makes me think next year we should do another cruise esp. with my oldest turning 10 in 2008.

I am thinking because of the coming Changes in DDP
Disney may not offer Free Dining in 2008.

Just a thought and I know that Free Dining every year
in not a Guarantee and could never be offered again.

So glad I got in on it this Year.:yay:

If Disney did offer free dining next year, I wonder if would make that time of year crazy busy with people who enjoy the dining plan but find it overpriced!:scratchin

There may be a dramatic increase in families with 10-year-olds every August and September:lmao:

I totally agree with you!:thumbsup2 There are many cruises out there that you can get on for $100 a day!!! That's a difference of 30 whole dollars for your lodging, entertainment, and exciting ports of call!!!

The Disney Dining Plan has been underpriced since it was introduced. As much as people hate the idea, when something is underpriced, that's a problem for a business. Their job is to price things correctly, not underprice things. The removal of the gratuity and appetizer brings the plan back into the realm of appropriate pricing, and the dollar off per day keeps it still a decent deal for many guests. :thumbsup2

With the Dining Plan the way it has been, it was unnecessary to ever purchase other food. Now, eliminating the appetizers, it will be necessary for some people to purchase other food during their stay at WDW. I am not happy with the change at all. The DDP the way it was structured did give too much food for many, but stuffing yourself full is something that made our recent vacation great.

I am also not happy not having the tips included. That was another huge draw to the plan. Now, it will be more difficult to budget and you also have to carry cash (and/or add on the tip to your card when you pay). The convenience of having the tip included was outstanding. I guess the positive is that I usually tip less than 18%!

That's just what I like about it - it brings the convenience of a cruise type vacation on land. I don't really get the appeal of cruising and would take the craziness of park hopping and running from ride to ride over relaxing poolside every time, but I love the inclusive pricing. I like not having to budget for anything other than tips and alcohol. And with the deluxe plan, we'll have that convenience available on land as well as at sea. :goodvibes

Wow, that news just adds to my already crappy week. With the changes, it doesn't become a realistic plan for my family anymore. My parents were so excited to try out new TS restaurants since we usually just do CS when we go. I'm really bummed out.

I can't even fathom the Deluxe Plan. I swear, when we got home from our last trip on the DDP we didn't eat a big meal for at least a week. It was SO much food!

What a bummer. :(

Just some thoughts, questions:

People mention that the DVC pricing is not known at this point. Why would DVC pay a different price? They don't now, just different restrictions.

I'm not sure anyone mentioned it....it just happens to be what Deb says on her site. And I think her statement is just worded "oddly". I THINK (and have an email off to her on this subject, so we'll see what she says) she means there's no word on whether DVC members will get access to the new options or not.

I cannot imagine many people who have to jump thru Disney's hoops (rack rate, must buy 1 ticket) partaking in this new DDP.

The DDP was something that we had to think long and hard about getting. We are DVC and can get it without any hoops and it was minimally a good deal, but we actually spent more money on the plan and ate entirely too much ;) . Having cooking facilities, it is a no-brainer....bye bye DDP.

We're making the same determination now. We HAD planned on cooking breakfast/doing breakfast in the room. Now, we're reconsidering some of that..primarily because...well...I could certainly enjoy (and I know my wife agrees) some time "off" from cooking for us and the kids. :)

I am sad for others that the plan is not as good. But for selfish reasons, I am glad. Now we can be spontaneous when at WDW for that rare occasion that we eat out.

I think, as I said elsewhere, that might be part of Disney's plan in these changes: Offload some of the demand on the TS restaurants. I think they're banking on DDP not being as appealing to "the masses"....but their estimate might be that the increased profitability will outweigh the loss in volume. Again, I'm just speculating on that.

It's definitely not a nobrainer, anymore. And for those happier eating at CS, the DDP isn't any longer a savings over THAT with a TS meal thrown in for good measure. It will likely "work" for less people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter