Minnie Vans "Uber" like transport begins soon!

I have only used Uber twice in my life, so don't really care, but it annoys me that society can judge a company like Uber based on incorrect assumptions. They are not a taxi company, and they do not have employees. Period. They are a ride sharing company. Some drivers have decided to do this full time to get around taxi company restrictions. That isn't on Uber. Your problem is with them, not Uber. The Uber service fills a need in communities all across America - a real need that is not being filled by taxi companies. It also monetizes ride sharing (car pooling), thus making it something of a reality in America for the first time in our history, whic is very good for the environment.

If you have a problem with possible liability issues, I get it. If you have problems getting into a car with someone that you do not know and who has not been fully vetted, I get that, too. Almost all of other stuff is garbage, mostly put out there by people who have lost business to Uber drivers.

Don't just trust what you read on the internet, including my posts. Seek out opposing view points. There is as much on the web refuting the attacks on Uber as there is attacking the company. The attacks against Uber have become a political football, so the truth has been obfuscated. You have to dig to find it.

True ride sharing is "I'm driving here, who wants a ride," not being summoned across town by a stranger to pick them up and drop them off at places you wouldn't have gone to otherwise. That is a taxi or car service.

In a city like OKC that has very little traditional taxi service, because you could never pay for the overhead, there is a place for something like Uber. In NYC and Disney, it is just another taxi service, getting around the laws, and significantly hurts people who follow the laws.

True ride sharing is "I'm driving here, who wants a ride," not bring summoned across town by a stranger to pick them up and drop them off at places you wouldn't have gone to otherwise. That is a taxi or car service.

Exactly. If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, is it anything other than a duck?

True ride sharing is "I'm driving here, who wants a ride," not being summoned across town by a stranger to pick them up and drop them off at places you wouldn't have gone to otherwise. That is a taxi or car service.

In a city like OKC that has very little traditional taxi service, because you could never pay for the overhead, there is a place for something like Uber. In NYC and Disney, it is just another taxi service, getting around the laws, and significantly hurts people who follow the laws.
It is being used in every way imaginable, including "true ride sharing" and a replacement for taxi services in areas without that service available.

As for places like NYC, it is a shame that they have created a bureaucracy that makes taxi service absurdly expensive to enter into, and absurdly expensive for patrons. This bureaucracy has spread so that most smaller communities have no chance of ever seeing this kind of service, because the costs cannot be recouped. That is government for you. Create a mess, then blame others for your mess. Uber didn't create the mess - they just found a way around it. I applaud them for their ingenuity.

Does Lyft operate in Orlando?

Not sure of the specifics, but I have read that Lyft has a more thorough vetting process of their drivers and they also allow for credit card tipping at payment. I always choose Lyft over Uber and feel it is a more ethical company. I always chat with my drivers and many of them drive for both Lyft and Uber- the consensus is that they prefer Lyft.

However, it is still a "ride sharing" company so some of the opposing arguments still apply.

Disney treats its people better than Uber (not so sure about Lyft - all I know is Lyft treats its drivers better than Uber), and at Disney you can unionize if you want to.

Yeah, I'm not sure I can give them that one anymore after the H1B fiasco and the continued reliance on college kids and 3rd party contractors to earn min wage to make up for the employees they need they don't wanna pay...

Does Lyft operate in Orlando?

Not sure of the specifics, but I have read that Lyft has a more thorough vetting process of their drivers and they also allow for credit card tipping at payment. I always choose Lyft over Uber and feel it is a more ethical company. I always chat with my drivers and many of them drive for both Lyft and Uber- the consensus is that they prefer Lyft.

However, it is still a "ride sharing" company so some of the opposing arguments still apply.

I use Lyft instead of Uber, and have used it multiple times in Orlando. I've actually never used Uber even though I have the app set up.

Off topic to Disney, but I completely agree with this statement here. Picking up people and accepting fare for it has been around forever, called various different things in different regions, but generally illegal in every city. Fast forward and somehow if you add an app to it it's legal?? I agree with the reasons why people disagree with "ride sharing" because really it's not ride sharing it's a taxi service. That being said, I do use Uber because it is better than taxis and is a better option (I live in a small to medium size city) so there's no hailing a cab more like calling a cab and waiting. But I fully understand and support people who don't agree with their model because I do feel like they are skirting regs by hiding behind the whole "we're a tech company not taxi service" but anywho...

Off topic to Disney, but I completely agree with this statement here. Picking up people and accepting fare for it has been around forever, called various different things in different regions, but generally illegal in every city. Fast forward and somehow if you add an app to it it's legal?? I agree with the reasons why people disagree with "ride sharing" because really it's not ride sharing it's a taxi service. That being said, I do use Uber because it is better than taxis and is a better option (I live in a small to medium size city) so there's no hailing a cab more like calling a cab and waiting. But I fully understand and support people who don't agree with their model because I do feel like they are skirting regs by hiding behind the whole "we're a tech company not taxi service" but anywho...

I agree with you. And I think if I was in your position I would use uber (assuming there wasn't a decent transit system, because I've lived places that transit is really not an option). I'd feel more comfortable safety wise because I'd know the area.

I still think the "tech service" is BS. It's a taxi service, as others have pointed out. NOT ride sharing. But at least in a town like that, uber drivers are not actively breaking the law with Uber's encouragement. And taxi services either don't exist or are very limited (like one in my hometown wants only calls 24 hours in advance. Folded last year. Big surprise there.)

I think consumers have been pretty clear about this, they do not want to pay the high cost of a taxi if a cheaper option is available.

I am not someone that uses Uber or Lyft, but if I am in MK after Wishes or having a late dinner at Ohana lol I would be inclined to use this Disney's Taxi to get back to the resort. It just saves a lot of time.

My friend who is there at Disney now. She and her friend got an uber and it was a nightmare for them this morning. They were going from POP to Epcot and it took them almost an hour. The driver got lost, turned around, didn't know what he was doing. Apparently the construction areas were a problem. My friend was using her GPS on her phone trying to help him. It was not a good time. They missed their Soarin FP but Guest Relations reissued it for them. She was a VERY UNHAPPY UBER CUSTOMER. Who texts to me were HEATED. LOL

I think consumers have been pretty clear about this, they do not want to pay the high cost of a taxi if a cheaper option is available.

Consumers will always move towards the cheaper option. The problem is a lot of the cost in taxis are consumer protections that Uber doesn't or may not comply with, thus lowering their costs.

I recently started using taxis during my trip. Everytime we went to the bus stop and realized we were not getting on the first bus we'd walk over to the the taxi stand, so much better than waiting. We do use Uber at home when we are traveling to and from the airport, I always feel weird when I request an Uber. Like I'm going to walk up and get into the wrong car, then there is an awkward feeling of being in someone else's personal car. Maybe I just don't use it frequently enough. I'm not a huge fan. I do think if there is a Disney run service I'd definitely use it and feel much more comfortable then I do with Uber.

My friend who is there at Disney now. She and her friend got an uber and it was a nightmare for them this morning. They were going from POP to Epcot and it took them almost an hour. The driver got lost, turned around, didn't know what he was doing. Apparently the construction areas were a problem. My friend was using her GPS on her phone trying to help him. It was not a good time. They missed their Soarin FP but Guest Relations reissued it for them. She was a VERY UNHAPPY UBER CUSTOMER. Who texts to me were HEATED. LOL

To be fair, I've been to Disney 100+ times and I always drive. The construction has things so effed up I couldn't get back to the Boardwalk from Typhoon Lagoon two weeks ago. It is an absolute nightmare.

It is bureaucracy.

It is, but that bureaucracy is also ensuring consumer safety/protection. Some of it is over the top, but insurance, maintenance and safety requirements add up. Not to mention the drivers going through real background checks and having real training/licenses.

You also have the fact that sitting at a taxi stand costs the taxi companies a lot, but they are there when you need them. Uber just basically cuts that line, not incurring the costs of waiting on a fare, but that system couldn't work if all of sudden there were no taxis at JFK.

Uber is also losing money hand over fist to artificially keep prices lower, taxis aren't doing that and some day Uber will have to stop or raise fares.

Doesn't Mears have some kind of deal that lets them run cabs for Disney and wait at all the resorts for riders to show up? They can't be happy about this!

I wonder if the Disney-Uber service will allow cars to wait right at the resort or if you have to call ahead of time to have them show up. I've always been spoiled that at the times I need a cab, I can just have the valet waive one over and we are on or way with no phone call needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter