Minimalist Tent Camping must haves?

I'm guessing a FW cabin is outside your budget? Because it'd be a lot easier and you wouldn't have to pack all that stuff. Not to mention the full kitchen. And you'd still be at the fort.
Yes, out of budget for this trip. Looked into renting a trailer as well. I'm treating this as a trial run for later in the year when we will be tent camping for longer, so I don't mind dragging stuff down to see what works well.

Yes, out of budget for this trip. Looked into renting a trailer as well. I'm treating this as a trial run for later in the year when we will be tent camping for longer, so I don't mind dragging stuff down to see what works well.

I figgered. The fort's wonderful, so you're guaranteed a great time. AKL's awesome too. You're going to have a fantastic trip! Thanks for letting me enjoy it with you for a moment!

I'm guessing a FW cabin is outside your budget? Because it'd be a lot easier and you wouldn't have to pack all that stuff. Not to mention the full kitchen. And you'd still be at the fort.

Funny thing is, is on our trip in August, we showed up a "Day early" (Called ahead though to make sure they had a site for us and they said they did.) When we checked in the sent us to our site, but there was no way for me to maneuver our 37' TT with the F250 into the spot. Try as I might, it wasn't going to happen. Anyway, we went back to check-in. we had the "Option" of parking the TT up front and staying in the cabin for the night OR going to another spot but we would have to tear it down and set it back up the next day into a new spot. DW was pushing for the Cabin, but Me (who missed the "Sign") was thinking more about how inconvenient it would be to try and gather stuff we'd need for the night, go to the cabin, spend the day/night, clean up in the am and go back to the TT re-hook and move to the new site.

She wanted to experience the cabin, and I wanted to experience LESS work. (I kept the TT hooked at the site, didn't worry about the stabilzers, hooked up the electric and we were good. That way next day, pull the slides in, disconnect the electric and move to the new site. Easy-Peasy).

Anyway, For me, I think I'd rather be Outdoors then in the cabins. (particularly for the costs) I like cabins in general, but I like them to be a bit more "Rustic"

Hi
We are from the UK and will be tent camping at the Fort for 4 nights 4th June every time we come over we buy a tent I have 5 tents already so this year as the GBP against the USD is so bad we are bringing tent, screen house, kettle, cooler air pump with us, I intend buying an air bed will take home with us and also sheets from ikea and pillows will buy chairs but will be leaving them, oh and of course a fan that will be leaving also.
There must be lots of other campers that leave stuff on site don't Disney give you an option to get them?
It would be great if there was an area you could go to. We might do a BBQ
Really looking forward to our trip, we love camping and go regularly to The Lake District.
Last camped at the Fort last June with GD and GS the love the place

Wendybarbara,

This is a topic that comes up a lot. There are LOTS of folks like yourself who find it less expensive and/or more convenient to purchase when you get there but don't just want to throw it away. Folks have tried to use this board/forum to see if other interested parties would want the stuff left behind (kind of a "Pass it on" thing). It would be "Awesome" if there was something like a "Lending Closet" (or similar) at the Fort where you could borrow or donate too to help make your trip that much better. Ironically, though, I'd think that it could get a bit over crowded with "Stuff" in short order.

Have you considered looking for a "Rental" place that could be used instead. I keep saying that it would be a great business model for travelers like yourself. I believe I recall seeing someone saying that there is a business that does do something like this.

Anyway... good luck with the trip. We will be at Disney in the Middle of June (sadly though, we will not be at the Fort, this trip will be at the AoA)

I tacked on 4 nights at the Fort before we check into AKV. I only have a 6 bag allotment between all 5 of us for flying. We will be on a 15 night cruise after the Fort/AKV, so I'm guessing we will have 2-3 bags strictly for luggage/clothes and FEs. I'm bringing my tent, borrowing a Coleman and cooler, should I bring my kitchen tote? I do have a place to store this in Orlando while we are on the cruise.

Do we need sleeping bags in early May or can we make do with blankets (I can borrow)? I was planning on buying new sleeping pads, I can ship those to Orlando so they don't count in my luggage allowance.

Any must haves that I am missing?
The man who is now my husband and I met at Disney World for the time as he was in the Air Force in Hawaii and I was living in Pennsylvania. He and I each packed a 3-man dome tent (in case it didn't work out), his sleeping bag (me none), no sleeping pad, no flashlight, no pillows, no camp stove, no coffee pot, no cups, no plates, no utensils, but I did bring a small radio, and 5 pieces of luggage which enough clothes to last 2 weeks. We each brought the other an Easter basket as it was spring break. We were so excited to meet each other after talking on the phone and IM-ing for 6 months, we weren't thinking clearly about packing for the camping trip. We left the baskets outside the tent in the shade and woke up one morning and the only item half eaten was the chocolate covered cherries. We figured out it was an armadillo which came to our site every day. Surprisingly it didn't eat the peeps. Our limited supplies didn't matter to us but my husband did laugh about all my clothing. We used the second tent for a closet. I met him at the Orlando airport and he was wearing jeans, cowboy boots and hat. Should I mention he forgot to bring other shoes and his feet became blistered in about a day. Talk about camping light. We were freezing out butts off as the first night's temperature dropped into the mid-50s and we covered up with the swimming towels I packed. He so cold the next morning that when I went to the comfort station he sat on top of the tale shivering and the camper across the loop road brought him a cup of coffee. I contacted someone at the Fort Wilderness check in building and asked if they could provide us with a sheet, blanket and pillows - which they did. We had a spectacular time together and three weeks later he flew one day to Pennsylvania to pick me up and we drove to Tulsa, Oklahoma where he was now working. It was love and four years later we wed at the Orlando court house and honeymooned at Disney World - in a tent of course but this trip we packed more useable items. Disney World and especially the Fort are our favorite places in the whole world. We're celebrating our 16th wedding anniversary with a trip to Disney World May 7-13 and tent camping at the fort. Since we're flying in we will be limited in what we can pack in two checked bags but we will pack better this time. Still LMAO. :dogdance:

The man who is now my husband and I met at Disney World for the time as he was in the Air Force in Hawaii and I was living in Pennsylvania. He and I each packed a 3-man dome tent (in case it didn't work out), his sleeping bag (me none), no sleeping pad, no flashlight, no pillows, no camp stove, no coffee pot, no cups, no plates, no utensils, but I did bring a small radio, and 5 pieces of luggage which enough clothes to last 2 weeks. We each brought the other an Easter basket as it was spring break. We were so excited to meet each other after talking on the phone and IM-ing for 6 months, we weren't thinking clearly about packing for the camping trip. We left the baskets outside the tent in the shade and woke up one morning and the only item half eaten was the chocolate covered cherries. We figured out it was an armadillo which came to our site every day. Surprisingly it didn't eat the peeps. Our limited supplies didn't matter to us but my husband did laugh about all my clothing. We used the second tent for a closet. I met him at the Orlando airport and he was wearing jeans, cowboy boots and hat. Should I mention he forgot to bring other shoes and his feet became blistered in about a day. Talk about camping light. We were freezing out butts off as the first night's temperature dropped into the mid-50s and we covered up with the swimming towels I packed. He so cold the next morning that when I went to the comfort station he sat on top of the tale shivering and the camper across the loop road brought him a cup of coffee. I contacted someone at the Fort Wilderness check in building and asked if they could provide us with a sheet, blanket and pillows - which they did. We had a spectacular time together and three weeks later he flew one day to Pennsylvania to pick me up and we drove to Tulsa, Oklahoma where he was now working. It was love and four years later we wed at the Orlando court house and honeymooned at Disney World - in a tent of course but this trip we packed more useable items. Disney World and especially the Fort are our favorite places in the whole world. We're celebrating our 16th wedding anniversary with a trip to Disney World May 7-13 and tent camping at the fort. Since we're flying in we will be limited in what we can pack in two checked bags but we will pack better this time. Still LMAO. :dogdance:
:welcome: to the Disboards.

What an AWESOME story. I absolutely LOVE it. :love:

Thanks to your DH (and you) for his service.

Ok, I've got it down to this is what we are bringing -

Tent (this includes footprint/stakes, etc)
Sleeping pads
Cooler (maybe)
Clothes/toiletries/etc

To Buy:
Starbucks Via (unless the coffee at the Fort is good)
1 pan, 1 pot, 1 bowl to prep in
Dollar Tree for small broom/dust pan/spatula/flippers
Paper plates/cups/silverware
Matches
Box fan (could possibly borrow this)
Folding chairs
Clothesline/pins (could bring this)
Tarp possibly

Borrow:
Blankets/sheets
Towels
Coleman (or will just use charcoal)
I beleive no charcoal cooking allowed right now. Check.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter