Mid January trip, what can I expect?

sophies*mom

A dream is a wish your heart makes.
I'm going to be in the parks for a quick girls trip (one park day, most likely with hoppers), and I've never been in January so I'm just curious as to what we can expect so we can get the most out of our day. There are 4 of us going and two of us (including myself) are DL veterans so know how to navigate the parks, just curious as to what may/may not be going on.

I'm sure there will be refurbs, that's inevitable. We will be in the parks on a Thursday. I'm just assuming the parks won't be open super late.

Any insight will be helpful. I'm a planner so I just want to be prepared lol.

*ETA* our park day is Jan 17th

Last edited:
When in January? That makes a difference. Early January will still be crowded -- Holiday Time ends on Jan. 6th. After that, IASW and HM will be down (I don't think at the same time -- IASW usually stays up a little longer than HM) to remove the holiday overlays. On a Thursday, you may not get F!, fireworks, or (depending on when you go) WOC (I think that goes down for a short bit to change from the holiday show back to the regular show).

Yeah, when in January? I can recall only being in the parks on two occasions in January over the last 5 years, both were about mid-month, no holiday weekends, and crowds were quite moderate.

I am headed Jan 27-Feb 2. Do you expect holiday overlay to be gone and those things back and running?

I go every year at the end of January (same time as NAMM) and they do have shows on Sat/Sun (I've done both WOC and Fantasmic). Weather is a toss up, I've been in rain and 90 degree weather (not on the same trip). The crowds are reasonable but the hours are shorter. IASW is down but not HM.

As mentioned, Haunted Mansion usually closes close after the holiday season ends to have the overlay removed. Once it re-opens, then IaSW closes to have it's overlay removed. Last year, HM was down from 1/8 to 1/18 and IaSW was down from 1/22 to 2/1. So depending on which Thursday you're going in January, it's likely that either HM or IaSW will be down (unless you're going before the Holiday season ends in which case both will likely be open, but the crowds will be quite large).

As others have mentioned, once the HOliday season ends, fireworks and F! are usually limited to only Fri, Sat, and Sun. WoC is usually nightly unless it's down for a refurbishment. The parade schedule seems more uncertain at this point.

I’ll second the wacky weather. It can be 60 and raining or 90 and roasting. But the week you have planned should be great low crowds! You are in between holidays and most kids around the country are all in school, holiday is gone, and Star Wars isn’t open yet. It should be a great week!

I’ll second the wacky weather. It can be 60 and raining or 90 and roasting. But the week you have planned should be great low crowds! You are in between holidays and most kids around the country are all in school, holiday is gone, and Star Wars isn’t open yet. It should be a great week!
Thanks! That’s what I was thinking too. Just hoping there aren’t any major refurbs like one of the mountains.

As mentioned, Haunted Mansion usually closes close after the holiday season ends to have the overlay removed. Once it re-opens, then IaSW closes to have it's overlay removed. Last year, HM was down from 1/8 to 1/18 and IaSW was down from 1/22 to 2/1. So depending on which Thursday you're going in January, it's likely that either HM or IaSW will be down (unless you're going before the Holiday season ends in which case both will likely be open, but the crowds will be quite large).

As others have mentioned, once the HOliday season ends, fireworks and F! are usually limited to only Fri, Sat, and Sun. WoC is usually nightly unless it's down for a refurbishment. The parade schedule seems more uncertain at this point.

I can definitely handle the holiday overlay refurbs but I hope that we will at least get to see WoC! I would love to see F! but I do know that goes to weekends at some point.
Is Paint the Night staying past Pixar fest? Has anyone seen info on that? I need that parade in my life!

I can definitely handle the holiday overlay refurbs but I hope that we will at least get to see WoC! I would love to see F! but I do know that goes to weekends at some point.
Is Paint the Night staying past Pixar fest? Has anyone seen info on that? I need that parade in my life!

I totally agree that I can handle HM and IASM being down, but I HOPE AND PRAY Paint the Night will be around and will be available a few more nights than just the weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter