Michelle and Andy's Fairy Tale Wedding, 9/13/2010 - An introduction

Wish I Did:
I wish I had requested a different wedding planner. There, I said it.

So here it is in a nutshell… we just didn’t hit it off from the very beginning. For starters, she was really pessimistic about the menu items we requested for our tasting (see earlier post about our menu). I didn’t let this bother me too much, not realizing it was a sign of what was to come...

I arrived at our Planning Session super-excited to meet her and begin the process. I’m sure some of you can relate to that feeling that you don’t get to do any planning with DFTW until the planning session takes place, so this was a big deal! Well, she was about 45 minutes late showing up for our planning session. Considering you only get 4 hours to plan everything, this was a big chunk of our time. Also, as a result of her tardiness, we were late for our appointment with the florist. This turned out to be a blessing in disguise because we were re-assigned to Elizabeth Sutton (loved her!!!).

But back to the planner… During the session, I inquired about something I had heard about on the DISboards. She immediately called me out for having heard about this on the boards and she seemed really put out by it. I sensed that every time a new topic hits the boards, they must get 100 requests about it, but so what if they do? It’s free advertising for them, right? And furthermore, the DFTW website sure doesn’t do a very good job of giving you all of the options available. I learned so much more from the boards than I did from any other source.

Also during the session, Andy asked her if she had figured out that I am an event planner. She said that she had figured it out immediately and she didn’t seem very happy about it. I don’t see why it would make a difference, but maybe she prefers to work with clients who don’t ask many questions.

The final straw from the planning session occurred as we were leaving. I realized that we had neglected to talk about chargers. Her response was to tell me that I was already over my stated budget and not to bother even look at the chargers. Seriously? Isn’t that my call to make? I found it insulting.

My frustrations continued to grow throughout the summer, including major drama surrounding the cake. But even as my frustrations grew, I kept telling myself to be patient, that she would get back to me when she could, etc. I did not want to ask for a new planner and risk being viewed as an impossible-to-please bridezilla. In hindsight, I wish I had just asked for someone else.

The planning process is my only disappointment about the entire wedding. I really expected that she would be our advocate – making helpful suggestions, following through on special requests, bringing our vision into reality, and in general, showing some enthusiasm about the biggest day of our lives. Instead, she just caused me a lot of stress. When we still didn’t have a cake design less than two weeks before the wedding, I was ready to lose it.

About a week before the wedding, I was starting to get really nervous about how she and I would get along once I arrived in Florida. Meanwhile, I had also read some concerning posts on the boards about my planner that had me thinking I wasn’t the only one who was having problems with her… So I decided to call her and request an emergency phone meeting a couple of days before the wedding. I laid out all of my concerns and frustrations. We worked through the last of the outstanding issues, which helped alleviate some of the stress.

During this call, I told her again how upset I was about the way she handled the cake and her response was shocking to me. She told me that “the Grand Floridian Bakery just isn’t very good at doing original designs and she didn’t feel comfortable having them designing a cake for me.” This was after I had sent numerous inspiration pictures and detailed descriptions of what I was envisioning. I was shocked by her response, given all of the amazing and unique pictures I’ve seen of other Disney wedding cakes. Awesome cakes are what they are known for, what they market on their Facebook page, and what they feature on practically every culinary show on TV. To this day, I still feel like we got cheated out of having a unique Disney wedding cake and it makes me sad each time I see another fabulous cake posted on the boards. I ended up loving our cake, but it wasn’t the cake I had dreamt of. In the grand scheme of things, this is pretty minor and it certainly doesn’t spoil my memories of the day, but I still don't understand the breakdown.

To her credit, our planner was definitely friendlier with me once we arrived in Florida – even going so far as to give me a hug at our rehearsal. I saw very little of her on wedding day, but she seemed to do her job and everything went off perfectly. I’ve since heard that she is no longer working in DFTW department, which is why I didn’t feel the need to mention her by name.

Does anyone else wish that you could work directly with the Grand Floridian Bakery on cake design? I think that would have made things so much simpler!

I loved looking at your wedding pictures and reading the trip report. I'm trying to decide on where I want to get married next year sometime. Hopefully the engagement will come in July when we head to Disney World. :)

Just tuned in to your WR. First, you're beautiful! Second, so happy for you. Keep the posts coming!

I'm having one of those days, feeling kind of blue, so I decided to cheer myself up with a little wedding nostalgia. I realized that I never posted our at-home e-pics, which were taken by my talented friend, Edda http://www.eddaphotography.com/

Here are a couple of my favorites...

Image106-Balloons2.jpg

Image100-Picnic1.jpg

Image102-Dog1.jpg

Image105-Balloons1.jpg

A couple more... Enjoy!

Image116-Mailbox.jpg

Image110-House1.jpg

Image107-Dogs2.jpg

Image112-Mantle2.jpg

(We spent our honeymoon in Santorini, Greece... our own version of Paradise Falls...)

We were married one year ago today at the Wedding Pavilion. It was the best day of my life.

How I wish we were at WDW right now to celebrate and do it all over again.

Last night, we defrosted the top tier of our amaretto and almond wedding cake. So delicious! Tonight, we are going out to dinner, then having more cake when we get home.

I still can't believe I married my prince at the most magical place on earth :lovestruc

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY

MMMmmmmm Cake - I can imagine it brought back such great memories

I cant get on your disney photo site (for obivious reasons) - can you pos up some wedding pictures?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter