MGM Character Meal Update Thread

jackskellingtonsgirl said:
A thread from yesterday on the Theme Parks forum said the breakfast will be JoJo & Goliath and Little Einsteins starting mid-May. The poster recently had a conversation with a manager at MGM and he said that is the current plan. :confused3

DS has informed me he wants no part of that, so I won't be trying for ADRs!

I am surprised they chose characters that appeal to such a young audience. DS would love this, but he is only 18mo during our trip. I doubt too many parents with kids over the preschool age would book this. Maybe I'm wrong, but DD7 would not like it.

jackskellingtonsgirl said:
A thread from yesterday on the Theme Parks forum said the breakfast will be JoJo & Goliath and Little Einsteins starting mid-May. The poster recently had a conversation with a manager at MGM and he said that is the current plan. :confused3

DS has informed me he wants no part of that, so I won't be trying for ADRs!

What a major disappointment! We also want no part of that, so we won't be trying for the ADR's either. I'm sure that there will be plenty of thrilled parents of preschoolers.

Beth

That's a bummer. I have a preschooler, but he doesn't even know who those characters are:) I'd rather see more traditional characters myself.

JoJo and Littel Einsteins...yuck yuck yuck...Sorry parents of preschoolers.

I guess I feel that the boys and older kids are still getting the door slammed in their faces if this is the best alternative they can come up with if Pixar isn't working.

Won't be booking that ADR, which stinks because we really wanted a sit down in MGM and didn't really care for any of the other places.

Well....you know mgm isn't exactly preschool heaven but then maybe they are trying to bring that age group over more from MK...Doesn't appeal to my 8 & 11 year olds,. Even my 11yrold would like a toy story character meal. I mean come on Disney.....are they even listening.
:confused3

mollyseven...you'd think Disney of all companies would try to meet the wants of this age group and not lose them to Universal.

Ok, so the Pixar thing isn't working...I can't believe that there isn't another alternative here. Disney has the rights to so many other characters. If the Pixar thing isn't viable, couldn't you please try something else?

I mean I have said it, and have read it, ad nauseum, about Heroes and other ideas. Would you just read what people are talking about and run with it already? I could really care less who gets credited with the idea, just give me something my 8 yr old and 9 yr old would enjoy and not roll their eyes at.

here goes. Buzz Lightyear and Woody are characters in costume at the parks. What is the big deal with taking those characters and putting them in a restaurant? What does the animosity (for lack of a better word) with Pixar have to do with it? I am truly curious and not trying to start an argument here.
Thanks,
Suzanne

skoopman said:
here goes. Buzz Lightyear and Woody are characters in costume at the parks. What is the big deal with taking those characters and putting them in a restaurant? What does the animosity (for lack of a better word) with Pixar have to do with it? I am truly curious and not trying to start an argument here.
Thanks,
Suzanne
I was wondering the same thing so IMO not a dumb question (or we both just don't get it :confused3 )

My kids like Little Einsteins, but how will they be made into physical characters? Not too appealing if you ask me!

And JoJo is just annoying :clown:

My son who is 3 would be very excited to see these characters at a breakfast or dinner. He loves them and knows them more than some of the regular Disney characters. This would be a wonderful character meal for a lot of children. There are plenty of character meals for older children. Don't get me wrong he would have LOVED the Toy Story meal as well and also likes "eating with Mickey". I think this is a great addition to a park that is not the most "toddler & preschool" friendly. With the exception of playhouse Disney there is not a whole lot for young children at MGM.

poohluvrs said:
My kids like Little Einsteins, but how will they be made into physical characters? Not too appealing if you ask me!

And JoJo is just annoying :clown:

We saw the Little Einsteins during the Christmas parade taping in Decemberr and I thought that they were really cute. Someone had pictures of them from last year's MNSSHP.

Here is a pic I found that someone posted.

78477Einsteins-med.jpg

I was hoping so much for something for my older son's, darn it anyway. There is hardly anything for boys, I thought that finally the would get something.

skoopman said:
Thanks,
Suzanne

From what I've heard, a major issue about the character meals is that the character's costumes do get dirtier and have more wear and tear from character meals than just out in the park from kids with sticky fingers touching them, spills- normal things that happen at restaurants. Most character can have their outfits cleaned fairly easily, but some of the Toy Story characters are more of a challenge (Buzz for instance). Because they need more upkeep, which costs more money, I believe PIXAR has been cautious about letting this happen. There could be other reasons as well, but this is what I've heard.

tmfranlk said:
We saw the Little Einsteins during the Christmas parade taping in Decemberr and I thought that they were really cute. Someone had pictures of them from last year's MNSSHP.

Here is a pic I found that someone posted.

78477Einsteins-med.jpg

Wow, the not-so-little Einsteins. They are HUGE!!!

HOLY BIG COSTUMES BATMAN!!! You mean to tell me they could have the LIttle (HUGE) Einsteins circulate at a buffet?! I am not so sure!!! Now that is absurd!
I still am holding out hope. There just doesn't seem to be any reason why they can't use Pixar characters that are already in use in the parks, created by a company they now own. I really think they want us to stop calling so they bought time by creating more rumors.

Those are huge costumes. I saw that picture on a different thread and thought to myself "Self, those can't possibly be costumes, they must be cut out's or statues." I remember how DD reacted to Buzz when she was 3 because he was so huge, these guys look the same size and that is the age range they are catering to. They are going to scare all their customers away in tears.

On the Buzz / Pixar thing, I believe what you said about the costumes getting dirtier and being more expensive to maintain, but I cannot believe they haven't put two and two together and realized they will far and away make up the cost of a new costume if they start a restaurant with Toy Story characters. It would be even better if it was a pizza place...oh, wouldn't that be cool!! Get Jesse in there and that will draw a lot of girls as well. I know, I am preaching to the choir.

Suzanne

What an incredibly small audience they would be limiting themselves to if they did that character meal! Even my five year old thinks those shows are for babies. We walked right on by JoJo this past trip. She didn't even care to get her autograph. It is a cute show, but come on! I think even bringing back the classic characters with Goofy in his pinstripe suit would be way better than this!

You wanna talk about scary characters? This past trip my girls wanted Kim Possible and Ron Stoppable's autographs. I was so surprised when we got there that they were face characters and bad ones at that! I was expecting foam heads!

Sooo, why not a Muppets character meal? We'd be all over that! Talk about drawing in a crowd - it would totally appeal to my generation and we're the ones with the kids!

I can see it already - it would fit great with the Hollywood & Vine theming. Kermit in a tux, Miss Piggy with her feather boa...

I would think that a small and "younger" audience would also bring in less $$ for Disney since they would primarily be either "free" with a paying adult or child priced patrons. A meal with characters aimed at a broader range of ages (Pixar, Power Rangers, Star Wars, Muppets) would certainly bring in more $$ seeing as children are charged as adults at age 10 and may be still interested in dining with characters.

We would definitely do Muppets, Star Wars, Incredibles, Toy Story, and even the classic characters with a twist!

Disney is pushing "Magical Beginnings" right now, so I am worried that the character meal may go preschool.

I don't see JoJo or the Little Einsteins as having broad appeal or being long-lasting myself.

Beth

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter