Mexico Tourism Advisory in Effect. Anyone Worried?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cozumel has sent a letter to the US Consulate asking for them to review the mention of Cozumel in the warning. I think it's great. The warning is ruining the tourism trade that Cozumel and it's residents depend on. Quintana Roo is a large state and to lump it all in to one is wrong. We are in Cozumel 3-6 weeks per year. Of course there is petty crime but isn't there crime in your city? There aren't homicides daily. In fact, not sure when the last time one occurred. Yes, there are drugs but there are in my city, too. I wish the State Dept would break it down so you could properly see the statistics to form your own opinion. It truly saddens me and it is my goal to stop the paranoia.

So we just got off the Fantasy and did a Disney excusrsion to Xcaret near playa del Carmen. Went with DH and 3 kids. Felt very safe and the vendors did NOT approach us at all as we walked with our guide the short 10-15 minute walk from the ferry to air conditioned bus waiting for us. We did this excursion two years ago and they did approach us then. I think they have been warned as it does affect tourism which is their livelihood. We had a great time.

Cozumel has sent a letter to the US Consulate asking for them to review the mention of Cozumel in the warning. I think it's great. The warning is ruining the tourism trade that Cozumel and it's residents depend on. Quintana Roo is a large state and to lump it all in to one is wrong. We are in Cozumel 3-6 weeks per year. Of course there is petty crime but isn't there crime in your city? There aren't homicides daily. In fact, not sure when the last time one occurred. Yes, there are drugs but there are in my city, too. I wish the State Dept would break it down so you could properly see the statistics to form your own opinion. It truly saddens me and it is my goal to stop the paranoia.

That makes me feel better.

Cozumel is my favorite Disney Caribbean port...although I don't think it's really the Caribbean. There's a lot of places in Mexico I wouldn't visit, but Cancun, Cozumel and Cabo wouldn't be on my list. I would probably stick to cerveza if I was inclined to drink.

I belong to a Cozumel facebook page. I screen shot it. Can I just post it from my phone or do pictures here still need photobucket or whatever?

They don't - you can choose upload a file next to post reply and it will upload it to the DIS. It does need to be under a certain size however.... it seems like as long as my pics are about 1.8MB or smaller there is no problem.

They don't - you can choose upload a file next to post reply and it will upload it to the DIS. It does need to be under a certain size however.... it seems like as long as my pics are about 1.8MB or smaller there is no problem.
Thank you. I will give it a try.

Now I know why I have never posted a picture. I have no clue what a URL is on my picture, LOL.

Cozumel is my favorite Disney Caribbean port...although I don't think it's really the Caribbean. There's a lot of places in Mexico I wouldn't visit, but Cancun, Cozumel and Cabo wouldn't be on my list. I would probably stick to cerveza if I was inclined to drink.

And this is exactly why I take the short walk south to La Internacional Cerveceria. Big selection, and a ton of Mexican craft beers as well as beers we can't get in the States because our government doesn't like the government of that island just south of Key West.

Plus they have free wifi.

When we did the mexican riviera cruise in 2011, DCL cancelled our port stop in Mazatlan due to the safety concerns (It was cancelled I think a couple weeks before the cruise). We did two stops in Puerta Vallarta instead.

So if DCL thinks there is an issue, they will change the itinerary.

That was my first Disney cruise. :-)

If you are concerned about Cozumel, don't get off the ship. On one excursion we took in Cozumel, the tour guide told us that there was very little crime on the island since everyone was employed. Stick to Disney excursions and you will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter