Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works! 6/7 PTR Link!

A CUPCAKE THREAD?! Off to find it as soon as I post this. I LOVE cupcakes and I used to make them on a weekly basis (I have this GREAT cookbook called "Cupcakes!" by Elinor Klivans and goodness are there some great recipes in there. If you ever go to the library you should check it out.) I'm really fond of Bethenny Frankel too who uses a lot of natural, healthy ingredients (lots of whole wheat flour, raw sugar, no butter, no egg type recipes) and I have to say, her method helped me lose the few extra pounds a few months before the cruise without having to deprive myself of sweets. Ugh, now that I brought the Cupcakes! cookbook out, i'm looking through it, i'm looking at the time, and thinking, "I have PLENTY of time to whip up some cupcakes!" Dang you Bonnie! ;)

Oh my, that sounds delicious! And sounds super easy! Another recipe to add to my Recipes document..I think you've supplied me with 5 or 6 recipes now, so thank you! :worship:

My pleasure! I love to cook and bake, and I love trying out different things. I like variety rather than eating the same things all the time, although I do have some staples I love (like my yogurt and fruit!). I will definitely check out Bethenny Frankel...I saw something written about her in a magazine recently...maybe Good Housekeeping, or one of those. I get a few, because my mom added me to her subscriptions. I get Ladies' Home Journal, Family Circle, Good Housekeeping, Woman's Day, and I am probably forgetting one of two! DS6's school had a fundraiser last year and rather than buy cookies or candy, I got 2 magazine subscriptions...one for Cooking Light, and one for Health (which also has some nice recipes!). All my magazines have great recipes, and it is always the first section I turn to when they arrive in the mail! ;)

Catching up here..we lost power for two and half days:scared1: thanks to Hurricane Irene..so now I'm catching up on all my email, Twitter and the Dis. You mentioned spa treatments..voting yes and raising my hand as high as I can LOL:goodvibes I know you can do these at home but it is so relaxing on the ship. DH and I did a couples massage and I did a facial..it's so nice to just relax in those plushy robes and sip tea before your treatments and then enjoy the relaxation. Also, yes that alcohol rule is kinda disconcerting. We brought on scotch (DH) and pino grigio (my fave) on our cruise and it saved us a ton of money..so boo! if that rule gets enforced. DH got charged 9 bucks (I think) for a glass of scotch once he finished his stash..

Well that really bites about the wine. I wonder how they check that? :scratchin

What about stuff from Mexico? You can bring a liter back into the US duty free, but if you drink the extra before you get back...:rolleyes1

Catching up here..we lost power for two and half days:scared1: thanks to Hurricane Irene..so now I'm catching up on all my email, Twitter and the Dis. You mentioned spa treatments..voting yes and raising my hand as high as I can LOL:goodvibes I know you can do these at home but it is so relaxing on the ship. DH and I did a couples massage and I did a facial..it's so nice to just relax in those plushy robes and sip tea before your treatments and then enjoy the relaxation. Also, yes that alcohol rule is kinda disconcerting. We brought on scotch (DH) and pino grigio (my fave) on our cruise and it saved us a ton of money..so boo! if that rule gets enforced. DH got charged 9 bucks (I think) for a glass of scotch once he finished his stash..

I agree about getting a spa treatment on a cruise! It is just so relaxing to get that while on vacation...and not have to go home to the hustle and bustle of real life right away once you leave the spa! :thumbsup2

Well that really bites about the wine. I wonder how they check that? :scratchin

What about stuff from Mexico? You can bring a liter back into the US duty free, but if you drink the extra before you get back...:rolleyes1

I don't know how DCL works with buying liquor in ports, but I know that on NCL (the one I just got back from), they hold any liquor you bought until the last night of the cruise (even if you bought it in port). Years ago on cruises, they let you just bring a certain amount back to the ship per person and it was so easy to just use that and order free non-alcoholic "mixers" from room service! Now, at least on NCL (for a number of years now), can't do that anymore. :sad2:

Hey Leshaface...I made those caramelized bananas this morning and put them on french toast (made with 45-calorie whole wheat bread of course!)...delicious! I want to try it on waffles and pancakes too! I think this may be my new go-to breakfast when we have a snowstorm! I always make a hot breakfast when we have snow...the last couple of winters it had been puffed french toast, but I think I found a new love! :love: Easier to count the points too for WW! ;)

I haven't been on a cruise in over 10 years, but I remember when we left Castaway Cay, I had just hopped out of the shower and I was sitting on the balcony with my hair still up in the towel, sipping wine and waving to the guys wearing Mickey hands. I would be really bummed if I had to pay Disney prices for the privilege of wine in my room.

I've been impressed with the quality of some of the box wines recently. When we won't have a car at WDW, I'll pack one in my suitcase. You don't need a corkscrew to open it and it takes up much less room than the equivalent in bottles.

Have you asked a question about how they check on the DCL boards?

Haven't updated in a while since there was nothing to report, HOWEVER I do have two things to report.

1) DCL has reverted BACK to their original policy regarding bringing alcohol on board. A rep from DCL responded to my email, so it's for sure! :banana: Yay for wine and beer!...and maybe rum...or vodka...or both?! ;)

2) I believe I found a way to get another $50 OBC. If I transfer my reservation over to Dreams Unlimited (Disney Travel Agency), they can offer me $50 OBC. However, I told them I would only transfer if I was able to keep the $200 OBC AND 10% off that I received while booking with DCL directly. Tammy (YES the same NAME FROM AAA :eek:) told me this was perfectly acceptable! So that's $250 OBC to play with! :yay:

Next Sunday I book our excursions and dining. However, we've been going back and forth....AGAIN. :confused: Well, at least about the excursions. BUT, I told DH about Palo Brunch and he said let's do it! So we'll be doing Palo Brunch and Palo Dinner.:thumbsup2 We need to SERIOUSLY sit down one last time and discuss what we're doing. Maybe over some wine. Yes, that's always good.

In other news, DH's window on his truck is broken. :headache: It won't roll up and is stuck in one position. It's gonna cost some serious mula to fix this stupid thing. I swear, his truck has cost us thousands of dollars, when we could have invested some of that money into buying a new vehicle :mad: Definitely frustrated.

But thinking about this cruise makes me happy! :yay:

That is awesome news about the alcohol. They have to know that wasn't going to work. You are going to love the Palo brunch. We did it every time we went on the Wonder.

Also awesome that you get an extra $50 OBC. I have booked through Dreams Unlimited and was very happy with them. I was a little hesitant to let them book everything because I am used to doing it myself but it seriously was so much easier and less stressful. You don't have to let them book it either. If you want to do it yourself you still can. There were things that I booked myself and things I asked the travel agent to do.

Sorry to hear about your husbands truck. This happened to my DH's car and it cost so much. I was like for a stupid window.

That is awesome news about the alcohol. They have to know that wasn't going to work. You are going to love the Palo brunch. We did it every time we went on the Wonder.

Also awesome that you get an extra $50 OBC. I have booked through Dreams Unlimited and was very happy with them. I was a little hesitant to let them book everything because I am used to doing it myself but it seriously was so much easier and less stressful. You don't have to let them book it either. If you want to do it yourself you still can. There were things that I booked myself and things I asked the travel agent to do.

Sorry to hear about your husbands truck. This happened to my DH's car and it cost so much. I was like for a stupid window.

I've read GREAT things about the Palo Brunch. I do have a question though...from some of the TR's i've read, some have gotten complimentary champagne and some have been charged. Do you know how this works?

I'm SOOO glad to get some more positive feedback about Dreams Unlimited. And I actually told her that I was a little hesitant using them because I had had a bad experience with another Travel Agnecy, but i'm glad that they worked well for you.:goodvibes

This is the SECOND time this has happened with his window. Same window too (driver's side) and the poor guy...this happened, the first time, at the beginning of Summer 2009, right when it started getting hot, and for some reason we couldn't get it fixed right away, and he had to drive with it down the majority of the Summer. The ac in his truck was useless with his window down all the way, he was always hot (and dusty/dirty :lmao:) when he came home. So when this happened again, we were like....seriously?

That's so good to hear about being able to bring along your own alcohol. Fran was reading her Ch*p and C*mpany (not sure why the DIS blocks their name) newsletter the other day and I had told her about your dilemma, and she didn't understand the problem. I guess they were announcing the return to the old policy regarding alcohol!

Yay for booking excursions! :banana:

:sad2: about the window. Sorry for the things you'll have to miss.

That's so good to hear about being able to bring along your own alcohol. Fran was reading her Ch*p and C*mpany (not sure why the DIS blocks their name) newsletter the other day and I had told her about your dilemma, and she didn't understand the problem. I guess they were announcing the return to the old policy regarding alcohol!

Yay for booking excursions! :banana:

:sad2: about the window. Sorry for the things you'll have to miss.

:lmao: At first I was trying to pronounce those words.."CHP? Chp cmpany?" Then I read the next sentence and was like, "Oh man, sometimes I can be real dumb!" :rotfl:

Yes, this caused a lot of drama on the thread about alcohol...people calling other people 'alcoholics' because they weren't able to bring on their own alcohol, saying they can't have fun unless they're buzzed and what not. Kinda hurtful.:confused3 But whatever. I can't help that I want to save some money and get good quality wine by bringing on my own stuff.

Hopefully I'll be able to tell you guys what we're doing BEFORE I actually book the excursions! :woohoo:

I've read GREAT things about the Palo Brunch. I do have a question though...from some of the TR's i've read, some have gotten complimentary champagne and some have been charged. Do you know how this works?

I'm SOOO glad to get some more positive feedback about Dreams Unlimited. And I actually told her that I was a little hesitant using them because I had had a bad experience with another Travel Agnecy, but i'm glad that they worked well for you.:goodvibes

This is the SECOND time this has happened with his window. Same window too (driver's side) and the poor guy...this happened, the first time, at the beginning of Summer 2009, right when it started getting hot, and for some reason we couldn't get it fixed right away, and he had to drive with it down the majority of the Summer. The ac in his truck was useless with his window down all the way, he was always hot (and dusty/dirty :lmao:) when he came home. So when this happened again, we were like....seriously?

The champagne was always included for us. It is suppose to be I thought. Never heard of anyone getting charged. You def. shouldn't be. We never were charged. They always came right over and gave it to us.

I didn't want to say anything in my original post but ever since DH's window went the first time it had never been the same. It worked for a little while but it broke again. We eventually got a new car because it was an older car.

We just got notified that our Feb 12'th cruise in a Cat 5A room that we paid $1,375.00 / person is now $1,050.00 / person due to the new 25% Canadian discount. They have also stopped the port stop at Mazatlan due to safety concerns, which makes me wonder if/when Disney will stop the Mexican cruises due to the safety of its passengers. Sorta bums me out that there are only 2 stops.

A story about massages...my first...after much pursuation, cojoling and blackmailing and threatening I agreed to do it. Did the hot stone massage, boy was it good !!!! I am doing it again...this time.

The champagne was always included for us. It is suppose to be I thought. Never heard of anyone getting charged. You def. shouldn't be. We never were charged. They always came right over and gave it to us.

I didn't want to say anything in my original post but ever since DH's window went the first time it had never been the same. It worked for a little while but it broke again. We eventually got a new car because it was an older car.

Oh awesome! :woohoo: I was just wondering because some of the TR's I had read had mentioned that they got a glass of champagne and in other TR's, there was never any mention of the champagne (so figured it was extra). Good to know! :thumbsup2

Sigh, well both our cars are pretty old (both 2000 with 100,000+ miles) so we'll definitely need a new vehicle soon. We've been looking at crossovers from Infiniti, Lexus, Chevrolet, and i'm considering Nissan. But we'll definitely need one FOR SURE before the baby comes, since my car is more like a racing car (toyota celica) and DH's truck is a single cab chevy silverado.

We just got notified that our Feb 12'th cruise in a Cat 5A room that we paid $1,375.00 / person is now $1,050.00 / person due to the new 25% Canadian discount. They have also stopped the port stop at Mazatlan due to safety concerns, which makes me wonder if/when Disney will stop the Mexican cruises due to the safety of its passengers. Sorta bums me out that there are only 2 stops.

I was thinking the same thing. When I was first looking into the M.R. cruises, I was like "YES! Three stops!" but then realized they had taken out Mazatlan. However, it may just work out better for us, since we'll be using one of those days to use the spa:cloud9:.....that is unless we change our minds AGAIN and decide to do another excursion. Had Mazatlan been on our itinerary, I don't think we would have even thought about doing spa treatments.

A story about massages...my first...after much pursuation, cojoling and blackmailing and threatening I agreed to do it. Did the hot stone massage, boy was it good !!!! I am doing it again...this time.

I've never tried the hot stone massage but have heard AMAZING things about them. I was actually thinking about getting the hot stone massage if that was one of the offerings they had for the spa villa! :thumbsup2:lovestruc

Oh awesome! :woohoo: I was just wondering because some of the TR's I had read had mentioned that they got a glass of champagne and in other TR's, there was never any mention of the champagne (so figured it was extra). Good to know! :thumbsup2

Sigh, well both our cars are pretty old (both 2000 with 100,000+ miles) so we'll definitely need a new vehicle soon. We've been looking at crossovers from Infiniti, Lexus, Chevrolet, and i'm considering Nissan. But we'll definitely need one FOR SURE before the baby comes, since my car is more like a racing car (toyota celica) and DH's truck is a single cab chevy silverado.

Yeah DH's was older than my car so we got rid of his and got a new car that was good for a baby. Plus I couldn't part with my Mitsubishi Eclipse yet...haha I don't want to part with it until it dies.

Yes, this caused a lot of drama on the thread about alcohol...people calling other people 'alcoholics' because they weren't able to bring on their own alcohol, saying they can't have fun unless they're buzzed and what not. Kinda hurtful.:confused3 But whatever. I can't help that I want to save some money and get good quality wine by bringing on my own stuff.

That's terrible! They must have mountains of money that they don't even need to think about saving any. Absolutely both rum and vodka, why even question!? :rotfl: I'm am rarely surprised here on the DIS but when I see fellow Disney lovers being mean it just seems even meaner. Somehow it's like, what are you even doing on here, mean people don't like Disney :sad2:

So excellent about the extra $50. Now when you say same name you don't mean same pushy horrible person Tammy do you? That would be so bizarre!

Terrible business about the car, how frustrating! :mad:

Can't wait to hear what you guys decide on excursions! You can always change if you choose something and really feel like you'd like another one better. You know whatever you choose you'll have a fabulous time!

Yeah DH's was older than my car so we got rid of his and got a new car that was good for a baby. Plus I couldn't part with my Mitsubishi Eclipse yet...haha I don't want to part with it until it dies.

Exactly how I feel about my Celica, for two reasons. One, it's completely paid for and was given to me by my parents many years ago.. And two, my dad was the one who drove 3 hours to pick it up from another town and taught me to drive it (it's manual of course :thumbsup2). He died suddenly in 2007, so I have a very strong connection to my car. I feel like if I get rid of it, i'll kind of lose a little bit of him (I know that doesn't seem realistic or probably doesn't make any sense but that's kind of how I feel) So whenever we go to car dealerships and the sales person asks what kind of car I have, they always say, oh that will be an easy trade in. But not for me:sad2:

That's terrible! They must have mountains of money that they don't even need to think about saving any. Absolutely both rum and vodka, why even question!? :rotfl: I'm am rarely surprised here on the DIS but when I see fellow Disney lovers being mean it just seems even meaner. Somehow it's like, what are you even doing on here, mean people don't like Disney :sad2:

So excellent about the extra $50. Now when you say same name you don't mean same pushy horrible person Tammy do you? That would be so bizarre!

Terrible business about the car, how frustrating! :mad:

Can't wait to hear what you guys decide on excursions! You can always change if you choose something and really feel like you'd like another one better. You know whatever you choose you'll have a fabulous time!

:lmao: Exactly! DH doesn't like Rum, he likes Vodka, however I like both! Rum and free cokes from the soda machines and vodka and free lemonade, again from the soda machine!

I feel the same way! Like, how can you be mean, but LOVE Disney so much!?! Being on the DIS should make you a happier person, right?!:lmao:

Haha, no not the same Tammy. The horrible Tammy was from AAA, and this Tammy is from Dreams Unlimited. When I received the email from Dreams Unlimited that Tammy would be handling my reservation, the first thing I did was look at the last name! :lmao: PHEW! They were different! :thumbsup2

Haha, no not the same Tammy. The horrible Tammy was from AAA, and this Tammy is from Dreams Unlimited. When I received the email from Dreams Unlimited that Tammy would be handling my reservation, the first thing I did was look at the last name! :lmao: PHEW! They were different! :thumbsup2

I was wondering about that! :laughing:

Exactly how I feel about my Celica, for two reasons. One, it's completely paid for and was given to me by my parents many years ago.. And two, my dad was the one who drove 3 hours to pick it up from another town and taught me to drive it (it's manual of course :thumbsup2). He died suddenly in 2007, so I have a very strong connection to my car. I feel like if I get rid of it, i'll kind of lose a little bit of him (I know that doesn't seem realistic or probably doesn't make any sense but that's kind of how I feel) So whenever we go to car dealerships and the sales person asks what kind of car I have, they always say, oh that will be an easy trade in. But not for me:sad2:

OMG!!! I can't believe you just said that. I can't get rid of it because of my dad also. He just suddenly passed away this past April. I know exactly what you mean about losing a little bit of him. It makes so much sense to me. I am sitting here crying now. I know exactly how you feel. :hug:

Wow, booking excursions and dining already?! This makes it seem so close!

Sorry about what happened to your DH's truck. Sometimes cars are just a headache. :headache: Houses too... :scared1:

I had to catch up here a bit because I didn't get a chance to come here for a few days...I know, major crisis right?! :rotfl2: I went back to work on Tuesday, and it has been a crazy week...but now it's Friday!!!!! :woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter