Merging Studio and 1 bed into a 2bed lockoff?

accm

DIS Veteran
Does anyone know if I book a studio and a 1 bedroom for the same night, if MS is able to combine them into a 2 bedroom lockoff?

I'm missing one night in the middle of a 2 bedroom boardwalk view stay, and right now, the 1 bedroom part of the lock off is available. I was picking up nights as the walkers dropped them, but missed this one day.

Secondary question, if I have a 1 bedroom booked, and go to modify, if a studio is available, will the 2 bedroom show up as available as well?

Usually, getting two rooms close to each when a party is traveling together is a "well will try" but not Guaranteed

I would call member services and see what, if anything, can be done.
Are we talking next week? or next Nov.... you might be able to change your reservation...

Usually, getting two rooms close to each when a party is traveling together is a "well will try" but not Guaranteed

I would call member services and see what, if anything, can be done.
Are we talking next week? or next Nov.... you might be able to change your reservation...
Next November, from Oct 30 to Nov 5. I have the first half and second half of the stay booked, but I'm missing Nov 1. Right now, the 1 bedroom is available for that night, but not the studio.

There are dedicated 1BR units at Boardwalk. So while every 2BR is a lockoff, not every 1BR or studio is part of a lockoff.

There are 8 dedicated BW view studios, and 9 dedicated 1BR BW views.

In general, unless the unit is available as a 2BR, Member Services cannot merge your 1BR and studio to a 2BR.

If you have a studio and a 1 bedroom shows up, when you go to modify, it will show you the 2 bedroom as an option.

But, MS can’t take a reservation for a studio and a different one as a one bedroom and then combine then into the 2 bedroom.

Thank you. That's what I figured, so I played it safe and booked a pool/garden view for our whole stay instead, and waitlisted the boardwalk view.
Not holding my breath, but it'll be our first stay at BWV as owners, so I can't complain!

Here is a data point for your consideration:

Grand Floridian. One night in February (last night of my week vacation). I want a 2 bedroom and I have the standard view dedicated waitlisted .

I had a one bedroom standard view booked. Today a deluxe standard view studio popped up. I tried to modify the one bedroom to get a lock off 2 bedroom but it didn't show up as an option. (This seems contrary to the advice given up thread, unless I'm misreading it.)

I cancelled the one bedroom, hoping to make a new booking for the 2 bedroom lock off. When I immediately searched for the night, only the studio showed up. I booked that, so as to have something for that night.

I think we conclude that someone had that night waitlisted for the one bedroom. And also, we conclude... Something.... About being able to modify half the lock off to the whole lock off, when the second half shows up as available?

If you have a studio and a 1 bedroom shows up, when you go to modify, it will show you the 2 bedroom as an option.

But, MS can’t take a reservation for a studio and a different one as a one bedroom and then combine then into the 2 bedroom.
I have not had this option when booking a value 2 bedroom at AKV.

I had the valu studio booked and a 1 bedroom value became available -but when I attempted to modify the studio to a 2 bedroom, the was no option for it.

Here is a data point for your consideration:

Grand Floridian. One night in February (last night of my week vacation). I want a 2 bedroom and I have the standard view dedicated waitlisted .

I had a one bedroom standard view booked. Today a deluxe standard view studio popped up. I tried to modify the one bedroom to get a lock off 2 bedroom but it didn't show up as an option. (This seems contrary to the advice given up thread, unless I'm misreading it.)

I cancelled the one bedroom, hoping to make a new booking for the 2 bedroom lock off. When I immediately searched for the night, only the studio showed up. I booked that, so as to have something for that night.

I think we conclude that someone had that night waitlisted for the one bedroom. And also, we conclude... Something.... About being able to modify half the lock off to the whole lock off, when the second half shows up as available?

I was the one who said that would work because I have done it a few times at both RIv and VGF

But, maybe there was something about the rooms that were released that allowed it to happen for me.

I have not had this option when booking a value 2 bedroom at AKV.

I had the valu studio booked and a 1 bedroom value became available -but when I attempted to modify the studio to a 2 bedroom, the was no option for it.
There are (8) dedicated value studios at AKV so it’s possible that there were no lockoffs available to “attach” to that 1BR to make a 2BR. You may have been “assigned” to a dedicated studio so when the 1BR came available, a 2BR could not be formed because they were not part of the same lockoff unit.

Does anyone know if I book a studio and a 1 bedroom for the same night, if MS is able to combine them into a 2 bedroom lockoff?

I'm missing one night in the middle of a 2 bedroom boardwalk view stay, and right now, the 1 bedroom part of the lock off is available. I was picking up nights as the walkers dropped them, but missed this one day.
I tried that once before and was told no since there were people already waitlisted for a 2 bedroom lock off. I then tried a couple of days later and was told no again but this time the response was there were no open connecting rooms but I could get on the wait list.

Probably not. Not all of the studios connect to a 1 bedroom. Since there is no guarantee that you would even get a conjoined studio… I doubt they would be willing to do that.

I have a related question at VGF and Lock-Off’s. What if you book a 2br lockoff for a week (387pts, standard, season C), but want to drop the studio at say 90-60 days out? Will guest services be able to let you keep the 1BR and release the Studio for those on the waiting list?

My alternative would be to reserve a 1br and a studio (414pts) so I can easily drop the studio. The cost is 27 points for the option. I understand the issues described above that the connecting rooms are NOT guaranteed. I would think it’s rare not to have the request granted though.

Any thoughts from you long-timers? How do you guys reserve rooms when extended family members can’t commit until 90-60 days from a stay? Ideally I book the 2br lockoff with an option to drop the studio.

I have a related question at VGF and Lock-Off’s. What if you book a 2br lockoff for a week (387pts, standard, season C), but want to drop the studio at say 90-60 days out? Will guest services be able to let you keep the 1BR and release the Studio for those on the waiting list?

My alternative would be to reserve a 1br and a studio (414pts) so I can easily drop the studio. The cost is 27 points for the option. I understand the issues described above that the connecting rooms are NOT guaranteed. I would think it’s rare not to have the request granted though.

Any thoughts from you long-timers? How do you guys reserve rooms when extended family members can’t commit until 90-60 days from a stay? Ideally I book the 2br lockoff with an option to drop the studio.

They can not just split them. You have to hope that if they cancel and try and pick it back up.

Now, there have been a few reports that they got a CM to do it, but most including myself, have been denied.

When I think there might be a chance for me to need to split, I book each in their own even if it’s more points.

They can not just split them. You have to hope that if they cancel and try and pick it back up.

Now, there have been a few reports that they got a CM to do it, but most including myself, have been denied.

When I think there might be a chance for me to need to split, I book each in their own even if it’s more points.
Very helpful. Thank you!

I’ll book the studio plus the 1Br for 27 extra points and roll the dice on the room assignments. Not the end of the world if they are down the hall or something. If they don’t come, I save 132 points to the bank. I’m already banking 86 (500 per UY less 414 for 1br+studio). Need to make sure my banked points stay under 368 so I stay under 500 (my point bucket for VGF) if cancelled. Ideally everyone comes and we spend 414 points per year, or 387 if we know for sure everyone can make it (about 7+ months out). Nice to have more points than we truly ‘need.’ In either scenario we have 86-113 points growing to the bank each year. Every few years we do another studio trip, making sure to keep the bank under 368.

Helpful for me to think through this. Thanks.

Very helpful. Thank you!

I’ll book the studio plus the 1Br for 27 extra points and roll the dice on the room assignments. Not the end of the world if they are down the hall or something. If they don’t come, I save 132 points to the bank. I’m already banking 86 (500 per UY less 414 for 1br+studio). Need to make sure my banked points stay under 368 so I stay under 500 (my point bucket for VGF) if cancelled. Ideally everyone comes and we spend 414 points per year, or 387 if we know for sure everyone can make it (about 7+ months out). Nice to have more points than we truly ‘need.’ In either scenario we have 86-113 points growing to the bank each year. Every few years we do another studio trip, making sure to keep the bank under 368.

Helpful for me to think through this. Thanks.

Once you know for sure, you can always keep an eye out too for availability and try to get it changed. I have done that.

I will admit that I have even gambled and canceled one day at a time to pick the 1 bedroom but we also willing to risk the split stay.

@accm, be aware that the time you are going includes the Wine & Dine race weekend, Oct 31 to Nov 3, and that weekend is an extremely high DVC demand time of the year at WDW, so your taking p/g view, and waitlisting boardwalk view as mentioned, was likely the best choice.

@accm, be aware that the time you are going includes the Wine & Dine race weekend, Oct 31 to Nov 3, and that weekend is an extremely high DVC demand time of the year at WDW, so your taking p/g view, and waitlisting boardwalk view as mentioned, was likely the best choice.
yup, that's why we're going. Planning on running the races!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter