Merged Irma impact on The Fort threads here

I too would be upset if my reservations were for the upcoming week or two. Unfortunately I feel for some of the CMs as they probably have a lack of info to communicate to us as well = frustration for everyone. I guess it's like all construction projects that may run into hiccups that set back deadlines but as in everything, communication is key. I've boycotted certain establishments for just that reason (Disney not being one of them). Hope the Fort is back up and running mostly smoothly in the very near future.

That travel agent rule isn't just in response to this event by the way. That is always the case when you book with a travel agent. You must go through that agent to make changes to your reservation. Disney set that up quite a while ago because agents get paid and get special contact lines. Now during an emergency, it doesn't really help them much, but day to day wait times for the agents is lower than the general Guest Services lines.

I use a travel agent as a favor to that agent because she puts effort into something I appreciate using, but otherwise I wouldn't use an agent to book Disney just for this reason.

I suspect Disney went for the lowest fruit first, moving the easiest and hoping The Fort would be able to open without having to do too much of the hard/expensive relocations. As it has dragged however, it is becoming apparent they had to work with some of those harder reservations and they appear to be doing it, although not with the ease people wish.

That travel agent rule isn't just in response to this event by the way. That is always the case when you book with a travel agent. You must go through that agent to make changes to your reservation. Disney set that up quite a while ago because agents get paid and get special contact lines. Now during an emergency, it doesn't really help them much, but day to day wait times for the agents is lower than the general Guest Services lines.

I use a travel agent as a favor to that agent because she puts effort into something I appreciate using, but otherwise I wouldn't use an agent to book Disney just for this reason.

I suspect Disney went for the lowest fruit first, moving the easiest and hoping The Fort would be able to open without having to do too much of the hard/expensive relocations. As it has dragged however, it is becoming apparent they had to work with some of those harder reservations and they appear to be doing it, although not with the ease people wish.

I didn't know prior to now because we've never used an agent before. It's all worked out thank goodness and IF it ever happens again we'll have a better idea how to proceed.

Overall, my main problem was just the lack of information. It takes one person to place a link up on their website that takes you to a page with info. And by info I mean they should have put up something like, "If your reservation is affected by the closure, Disney will contact you. And these will be your options....." Reminding people to check their email, etc. They seem to give as much for those with tickets to Hoop Dee Doo, and the BBQ plus those with Special Event tickets, if you see their official response on their website. There is a dedicated email for those that had tickets to Night of Joy and Mickey's Not So Scary. I don't think it's unreasonable to question why a similar thing wasn't done for those at Fort Wilderness considering it's the only resort to suffer so much damage. I'm sure that most people would have been happy to shoot off an email to a dedicate address just to have a few questions answered. I don't think anyone is expecting a magic wand to make things all better, because it is what it is. I think what most people need is just some basic information from Disney. Which would have freed up the phone lines a bit so those that those needing to get things done ASAP because of their arrival dates could have done it and not sat on the phones for hours. I didn't even know the Fort was still closed until I came on here. Everything I read online up to that point said the parks were opened and didn't mention Fort Wilderness. A quick email from Disney with all the current info would have solved that, and put my mind at ease. And yes, yes, I know everyone should be on top of things all the time. But sometimes life gets in the way and the closer you get to your departure date, the busier you get with taking care of work, school, house sitters, last minute errands, etc. Compounded by two hurricanes that have affected family both in Texas and Florida. Harriet's case is special because she has a large party and used a travel agent. I'd be absolutely frantic without answers. You might not call Florida Power and Light, but a look on their website and they give excellent up-to-date information on their restoration efforts. With county by county update and estimations, and a way to check your outage. So I'd say they are doing better than Disney.

Overall, my main problem was just the lack of information. It takes one person to place a link up on their website that takes you to a page with info. And by info I mean they should have put up something like, "If your reservation is affected by the closure, Disney will contact you. And these will be your options....." Reminding people to check their email, etc. They seem to give as much for those with tickets to Hoop Dee Doo, and the BBQ plus those with Special Event tickets, if you see their official response on their website. There is a dedicated email for those that had tickets to Night of Joy and Mickey's Not So Scary. I don't think it's unreasonable to question why a similar thing wasn't done for those at Fort Wilderness considering it's the only resort to suffer so much damage. I'm sure that most people would have been happy to shoot off an email to a dedicate address just to have a few questions answered. I don't think anyone is expecting a magic wand to make things all better, because it is what it is. I think what most people need is just some basic information from Disney. Which would have freed up the phone lines a bit so those that those needing to get things done ASAP because of their arrival dates could have done it and not sat on the phones for hours. I didn't even know the Fort was still closed until I came on here. Everything I read online up to that point said the parks were opened and didn't mention Fort Wilderness. A quick email from Disney with all the current info would have solved that, and put my mind at ease. And yes, yes, I know everyone should be on top of things all the time. But sometimes life gets in the way and the closer you get to your departure date, the busier you get with taking care of work, school, house sitters, last minute errands, etc. Compounded by two hurricanes that have affected family both in Texas and Florida. Harriet's case is special because she has a large party and used a travel agent. I'd be absolutely frantic without answers. You might not call Florida Power and Light, but a look on their website and they give excellent up-to-date information on their restoration efforts. With county by county update and estimations, and a way to check your outage. So I'd say they are doing better than Disney.

Umm... there is a link. Right on the front page of Disneyworld.disney.go.com is a Hurricane Irma Link with the following information:

I'm not entirely sure what else you expect. They tell you it is closed and give an expected but not firm reopening date. The same info is given for Vero, Hilton Head and Treehouses, so it's not like they are picking on Fort Wilderness. They just aren't providing information they can't guarantee is good.

Information on Hurricane Irma
Disney's Typhoon Lagoon Water Park will be closed for Guests on Friday, September 15. Walt Disney World’s Theme Parks, Disney’s Blizzard Beach Water Park and Disney Springs have returned to normal, advertised operating hours.
DISNEY RESORTS

All Disney Resorts have begun normal operation, with the exception of Fort Wilderness Campground and Disney's Saratoga Springs Treehouse Villas.

We anticipate that Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground will reopen next week, but it remains closed at this time as we clean up the property following the storm. Disney's Wilderness Lodge remains open.

To allow Disney’s Fort Wilderness to prepare the property after Hurricane Irma, all shows at The Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue and Mickey’s Backyard BBQ will be canceled up to and including Tuesday September 19th. Any existing reservations will be automatically canceled and refunded.

The Treehouse Villas at Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort are tentatively scheduled to reopen on Sunday, Sept. 17.

Disney's Vero Beach and Disney's Hilton Head Island Resorts will remain closed at this time.

SPECIAL EVENTS
Guests requiring assistance due to canceled Night of Joy on September 9 or Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party on September 10 should call (407) 939-7818 by January 31, 2018 between the hours of 7:00 AM and 11:00 PM., or email us at Ticket.Inquiries@DisneyWorld.com. Please have your tickets available so we may process your request for you as quickly as possible. Guests under 18 years of age must have parent or guardian permission to call.

Actually we lost power at our
Compounded by two hurricanes that have affected family both in Texas and Florida. Harriet's case is special because she has a large party and used a travel agent. I'd be absolutely frantic without answers. You might not call Florida Power and Light, but a look on their website and they give excellent up-to-date information on their restoration efforts. With county by county update and estimations, and a way to check your outage. So I'd say they are doing better than Disney.

We actually live in New Port Richey Florida and rode out the storm at the house we closed on the Tuesday before Irma came through. We lost power at the house, but thankfully our apartment still had it so we went back there, but it took 2 days for my daughter to get power back at her house. This was our first hurricane ever and the stress of the week leading up to it was almost worse than the actual storm. I think that's one of the reason I've been so frantic about the trip details.

As for the power company analogy, our service is through Duke Energy and I got 2 or 3 robo-calls with updates as well as multiples update emails until the power in our subdivision was back on. It's not that hard and Disney should take a lesson for the future.

I don’t have a dog in this hunt anymore since I canceled my reservations due to Irma and the “unknown” during the week of the 17th. However, as a 37-year (retired now) cable TV employee, on the Florida Panhandle coast, I can tell everyone that the destruction from a Hurricane is not a pretty sight to utilities.

Not only are trees down, power can be out, water service can be out, sewer service can be out, telecom service can be out as well. What happens during a hurricane to underground facilities is that the roots of trees that have been uprooted can and will pull up or damage any underground services near the root structure. It’s a real mess and repairs take quite a bit longer than traditional over-head utilities.

Staffing for a natural disaster is counterproductive and costly to any entity since those “additional” staff members would have to be employed year-round. I’m not coming to Disney’s defense, I’m just saying that through times of disaster, “things” are beyond any entities scope and putting people and plans together, with limited resources are terribly difficult. Drawing a “bulls-eye” on a date can be next to impossible.

I do however agree with others that communications to campers, affected by the hurricane, could have been a whole lot smoother. Through the use of Email, the Disney Web Site, and direct contact via telephone could have been more proactive and could have provided more information than was disseminated.

It’s a moot issue to me now … I was lucky enough to score a Full Hook-Up site the 1st week of October and as the wife said “Book it Dano”

I too would be upset if my reservations were for the upcoming week or two. Unfortunately I feel for some of the CMs as they probably have a lack of info to communicate to us as well = frustration for everyone. I guess it's like all construction projects that may run into hiccups that set back deadlines but as in everything, communication is key. I've boycotted certain establishments for just that reason (Disney not being one of them). Hope the Fort is back up and running mostly smoothly in the very near future.

Having been in the shoes of communicating with people without having all the information needed, I totally feel for the CM's. I also know some of the were probably worried about their homes too. I don't blame any of them for this at all....everything rises and falls on leadership and their leadership failed them and us.

I don’t have a dog in this hunt anymore since I canceled my reservations due to Irma and the “unknown” during the week of the 17th. However, as a 37-year (retired now) cable TV employee, on the Florida Panhandle coast, I can tell everyone that the destruction from a Hurricane is not a pretty sight to utilities.

Not only are trees down, power can be out, water service can be out, sewer service can be out, telecom service can be out as well. What happens during a hurricane to underground facilities is that the roots of trees that have been uprooted can and will pull up or damage any underground services near the root structure. It’s a real mess and repairs take quite a bit longer than traditional over-head utilities.

Staffing for a natural disaster is counterproductive and costly to any entity since those “additional” staff members would have to be employed year-round. I’m not coming to Disney’s defense, I’m just saying that through times of disaster, “things” are beyond any entities scope and putting people and plans together, with limited resources are terribly difficult. Drawing a “bulls-eye” on a date can be next to impossible.

I do however agree with others that communications to campers, affected by the hurricane, could have been a whole lot smoother. Through the use of Email, the Disney Web Site, and direct contact via telephone could have been more proactive and could have provided more information than was disseminated.

It’s a moot issue to me now … I was lucky enough to score a Full Hook-Up site the 1st week of October and as the wife said “Book it Dano”

We're still dealing with flash flood warnings here because the rivers are so high from weeks of rain prior to the hurricane, that any additional rain since Irma is causing them to flood streets and neighborhoods. It's been a real education for me as a Florida resident of less than a year and I know we've learned a lot of lessons about preparing and weathering the storm. If it had just been my husband and I we would have just rescheduled, but that just wasn't an option for this particular trip. I'm glad you guys were able to get your trip set at a time that works for you!

I just can't believe all the wining about the communications and when the Fort will open. Its only been a few days since a major hurricane, millions don't have power, many lost their homes, jobs, and many lives, and those pictures show the Fort is a mess. Do you know what it takes to clean up an 800 plus acre site, first the water has to recede, remove and trim trees, clean up all that mud, repair buildings, etc., etc. Its not like Disney doesn't want to reopen ASAP but it takes time, and at this time its just a guess when they can clean up and repair all the damage since there is probably a shortage of contractors to get the work done.

I just can't believe all the wining about the communications and when the Fort will open. Its only been a few days since a major hurricane, millions don't have power, many lost their homes, jobs, and many lives, and those pictures show the Fort is a mess. Do you know what it takes to clean up an 800 plus acre site, first the water has to recede, remove and trim trees, clean up all that mud, repair buildings, etc., etc. Its not like Disney doesn't want to reopen ASAP but it takes time, and at this time its just a guess when they can clean up and repair all the damage since there is probably a shortage of contractors to get the work done.

Sundancer 330.....when Disney has $5,000 of your money for a trip that is to begin 72 hours after you get the email about damage to the fort, it's totally acceptable to whine a little and be frustrated with the lack of communication. As a Floridian who went through the hurricane and living in an area where people still don't have power and the grocery store shelves haven't been restocked yet, I know that this isn't a first world problem, but it's a problem to my family. Thankfully we've gotten the information we needed and will be enjoying Disney beginning tomorrow. We'll even spend more money while we're there which will put money back into the economy and help those who've been hurt by Irma.

Hang on, easy.

It was cleared up earlier in the thread that it isn't agitation about when the Fort will be cleaned up and opened. It's frustration with Disney about how they've been handling the reschedules and the resort changes. Some of them have been told already where they're being moved to while others have spent 5-12 hours on the phone and fixing to pull out of their driveway and still haven't been told where to go.

It's not about the cleanup, it's been more about the lack of communication regarding resort changes.

Everybody take a breath. This thread is starting to sound like some of the other forums.

It's been a real education for me as a Florida resident of less than a year and I know we've learned a lot of lessons about preparing and weathering the storm .... I'm glad you guys were able to get your trip set at a time that works for you!

harriettbrawner, welcome to Florida ... the "Sunshine State" o_O Actually, as you probably know, other states have their issues also. Got to take the good with the bad ... and I am certain you have learned a valuable lesson with Irma.

Yep, I'm glad I happened on an opening in October. I about fell out of my computer chair when I saw it ... almost destroyed the keyboard trying to click fast enough to grab the reservation. It is shorter than our September reservations but will do just for the experience of our first camping trip at the Fort.

Hang on, easy.

It was cleared up earlier in the thread that it isn't agitation about when the Fort will be cleaned up and opened. It's frustration with Disney about how they've been handling the reschedules and the resort changes. Some of them have been told already where they're being moved to while others have spent 5-12 hours on the phone and fixing to pull out of their driveway and still haven't been told where to go.

It's not about the cleanup, it's been more about the lack of communication regarding resort changes.

Everybody take a breath. This thread is starting to sound like some of the other forums.

Yeah. I am personally starting to get anxious, having a FW Cabin rented from the 23rd to the 30th. You know, of course these are horrible circumstances, but it seems to me that when I spend 5 days with no confirmation that the resort will open, 3 hours on phones being told to hold out in hopes of the place opening, that guests have a right to be worried when they hear its taking days to have options presented.

Consider my circumstances, we are 3 adult males, 2 of us are a couple, the 3rd is a straight friend. We decided on FW because it's to only option in our price range that provides 2 rooms. 3 professional adult males cannot reschedule a trip the way a family with kids can. Schools have vacations. Families can sleep in the same rooms. A male couple in our 40s with a straight male friend in his 30s do not want to share a room, nor do they want to get moved to the Art of Animation in a LION KING Suite. That's not this vacation for us. The amount of logistics and time Ive spent planning this trip, should that all be lost, is one thing, it's quite another to string us along without providing straight answers and reasonable options. Upgrades not discluded. This is guest services. These are the kind of circumstances where you upgrade. Ive worked in the hotel business all through college... This is standard type of situation where you don't nickel and dime people but instead take the hit.

Where on WDW Property is there a suitable/comparable accommodation for us? And why isnt that info being relayed yet? If am I going to have to change dining travel, golf cart rentals, receive refunds, etc. This is a company that asks you to wake up 180 prior to your trip to schedule restaurants and the like.

Yes, Disney has every right to expect adults to understand their circumstance, and adults have every right to expect GUEST RELATIONS to provide reasonable answers and offer accommodations. Yes, that includes upgrades. A LION KING SUITE or a Refund doesn't cut it in our circumstances. I am a working Drug Counselor, and I now have to wait until the middle of a busy work week, 2 days before my trip, to BEGIN figuring this out, and possibly have to take off work to do so because its taking them forever to make a decision, is frustrating beyond the acceptable expectations placed on us by the hurricane. It sucks. I get it. Disney seems to be worried more about their logistics than that of their customers. When your business model is all about requiring such logistics from your customers to begin with - that's not good Customer Service.

No reasonable person wants to sound or be disgruntled under these circumstances but... They should have contacted me no more than 2 days after the storm, if my resort was closed indefinitely.

Last edited:
harriettbrawner, welcome to Florida ... the "Sunshine State" o_O Actually, as you probably know, other states have their issues also. Got to take the good with the bad ... and I am certain you have learned a valuable lesson with Irma.

Yep, I'm glad I happened on an opening in October. I about fell out of my computer chair when I saw it ... almost destroyed the keyboard trying to click fast enough to grab the reservation. It is shorter than our September reservations but will do just for the experience of our first camping trip at the Fort.

I was born and raised in Georgia and we've had our share of tornados and ice storms with the attached power outages so I'm not unaccustomed to bad weather. The difference is that we don't get a week's warning that a tornado or ice storm is coming and typically if they do start talking about them a week out it doesn't happen. This experience was terrifying and stressful mainly because of friends and family back home who kept calling, texting, and messaging us with dire warnings of destruction and death based on weather reports that weren't based here. We finally had to tell them to stop because they weren't helping at all. We absolutely love living here...I've started calling our new house our forever home because my husband thought die-in-it house was a little morbid :)

Hey, I just want to say thank yo
Yeah. I am personally starting to get anxious, having a FW Cabin rented from the 23rd to the 30th. You know, of course these are horrible circumstances, but it seems to me that when I spend 5 days with no confirmation that the resort will open, 3 hours on phones being told to hold out in hopes of the place opening, that guests have a right to be worried when they hear its taking days to have options presented.

Consider my circumstances, we are 3 adult males, 2 of us are a couple, the 3rd is a straight friend. We decided on FW because it's to only option in our price range that provides 2 rooms. 3 professional adult males cannot reschedule a trip the way a family with kids can. Schools have vacations. Families can sleep in the same rooms. A male couple in our 40s with a straight male friend in his 30s do not want to share a room, nor do they want to get moved to the Art of Animation in a LION KING Suite. That's not this vacation for us. The amount of logistics and time Ive spent planning this trip, should that all be lost, is one thing, it's quite another to string us along without providing straight answers and reasonable options. Upgrades not discluded. This is guest services. These are the kind of circumstances where you upgrade. Ive worked in a hotel.

Where on WDW Property is there a suitable/comparable accommodation for us? And why isnt that info being relayed yet? If am I going to have to change dining travel, golf cart rentals, receive refunds, etc. This is a company that asks you to wake up 180 prior to your trip to schedule restaurants and the like.

Yes, Disney has every right to expect adults to understand their circumstance, and adults have every right to expect GUEST RELATIONS to provide reasonable answers and offer accommodations. Yes, that includes upgrades. A LION KING SUITE or a Refund doesn't cut it in our circumstances. I am a working Drug Counselor, and I now have to wait until the middle of a busy work week, 2 days before my trip, to BEGIN figuring this out, and possibly have to take off work to do so because its taking them forever to make a decision, is frustrating beyond the acceptable expectations placed on us by the hurricane. It sucks. I get it. Disney seems to be worried more about their logistics than that of their customers. Wehen your business model is all about requiring such logistics from your customers to begin with - that's not good Customer Service.

They should have contacted me no more than 2 days after the storm.

Hey, I just want to say 'thank you' for the work you do. Two members of my family have struggled with addiction and their Addiction Counselors were life savers to them and a great source of knowledge and support for those of us who love them. So again, thanks.

And I hope things work out for your vacation.

At the risk of being flamed, I'm just going to say that YES I'd be very disappointed to miss my vacation but I'm not flooded, I have power, my house isn't destroyed - all things that are a real issue for those in Fla. I think it would be good to get all this in perspective. Disney didn't plan this and I am sure (since they are loosing a ton of money) they are doing everything to get back open as quickly as possible. We are supposed to check in 9/23. I did speak to our Disney travel agent today and she said reservations for Fort Wilderness and Hoop De Do Review opened up beginning 9/20 so WDW is planning to open up that day. Now I'm focused on finding out if I can find gas for the Moho In SC, GA & Fla

Consider my circumstances, we are 3 adult males, 2 of us are a couple, the 3rd is a straight friend. We decided on FW because it's to only option in our price range that provides 2 rooms. 3 professional adult males cannot reschedule a trip the way a family with kids can. Schools have vacations. Families can sleep in the same rooms. A male couple in our 40s with a straight male friend in his 30s do not want to share a room, nor do they want to get moved to the Art of Animation in a LION KING Suite. That's not this vacation for us. The amount of logistics and time Ive spent planning this trip, should that all be lost, is one thing, it's quite another to string us along without providing straight answers and reasonable options. Upgrades not discluded. This is guest services. These are the kind of circumstances where you upgrade. Ive worked in a hotel.

Yes, Disney has every right to expect adults to understand their circumstance, and adults have every right to expect GUEST RELATIONS to provide reasonable answers and offer accommodations. Yes, that includes upgrades. A LION KING SUITE or a Refund doesn't cut it in our circumstances. I am a working Drug Counselor, and I now have to wait until the middle of a busy work week, 2 days before my trip, to BEGIN figuring this out, and possibly have to take off work to do so because its taking them forever to make a decision, is frustrating beyond the acceptable expectations placed on us by the hurricane. It sucks. I get it. Disney seems to be worried more about their logistics than that of their customers. Wehen your business model is all about requiring such logistics from your customers to begin with - that's not good Customer Service.

CthtuluMICKEY as someone that has a few 24's I suggest THE SERENITY PRAYER is might be an option to consider. I understand you are frustrated and unable to get the information you feel you are entitled to and that YOUR unique situation isn't being given the consideration You think it deserves. Just have to ask did DISNEY ask about your circumstances when you made your reservation When my old partner, she and her wife along with a straight female friend booked a few years ago they weren't, so I have to wonder if they changed policies ( FYI they had a great time sharing a room in The Caribbean Beach and Vacationing at Disney.) Right now I am guessing Disney is doing the best it can. Irma for only the 5th time since it opened in 1971 to close . Ft W and The Tree houses are unique in that each campsite , cabin, or Treehouse is a stand alone unit that does share a road,Cable, Power, Water and sewer line with the other units in the other loops While in most of the other resorts, if one section or a portion of a section that can can be more easily shut down and a second cookie cutter room substituted.
So again I suggest you recite THE SERENITY PRAYER and repeat as required. As my first sponsor one told me That may happen but it's not happening right now. Lets see how things come to be and well deal with it then!"

At the risk of being flamed, I'm just going to say that YES I'd be very disappointed to miss my vacation but I'm not flooded, I have power, my house isn't destroyed - all things that are a real issue for those in Fla. I think it would be good to get all this in perspective. Disney didn't plan this and I am sure (since they are loosing a ton of money) they are doing everything to get back open as quickly as possible. We are supposed to check in 9/23. I did speak to our Disney travel agent today and she said reservations for Fort Wilderness and Hoop De Do Review opened up beginning 9/20 so WDW is planning to open up that day. Now I'm focused on finding out if I can find gas for the Moho In SC, GA & Fla

No flaming.

You were level headed and non-judgemental without any hint of sarcasm that I could detect.

Just our kind of peoples.

I gotta smile though, I mean saying "Moho" just sounds...well...dirty. :smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter