Men, why do you like DL?

MagicalMomAZ

DIS Veteran
I cannot convince DH of the magic...I have tried countless times. He went & will go for my love of it, for the kids, etc ..... but I want him to enjoy it b/c he finds it enjoyable!
Crowds are a big deal for him, the less people the happier he is. And with Summer, weekends, & school breaks as our only options i think he's just out of luck on that front!
I thought if I could get some male perspective on this it would help in the long run....thanks!

MagicalMomAZ
It’s just fun to me and relaxing on a “Zen” kinda level (no comments from the peanut gallery Mary Jo).

I grew up in Orange County and have always like Disneyland. I got to spend every birthday there with a friend and made trips when relatives would come to town. To me it has always been a fun place to hang out and watch the world go by. I was lucky enough to fall in love and marry a girl that liked Disney as much as I do. We have had passes for over 21 years now and average 60-70 trips to the park a year. For me a lot of time it is just walking around and talking to all the friends we have gotten to know over the years, this includes other passholders and cast members.

I found with things Disney either people like it or don’t care for it, there doesn’t seem to be a gray area. When some people find out how often we go they think I am nuts (Mary Jo see comment above) and just don’t understand it. “You just go out and walk around and talk to people….Why”

Maybe your DH would like to take a park tour or have a family scavenger hunt in the parks. Try and find things that aren’t crowded, the not as popular rides and shows. Has he ever seen the Hillbillies show in the Golden Horseshoe in Frontierland?

Random thoughts in answer to your question. For men or women, DLR makes more connection to people with imagination. People who have dreamed of adventure in far away places, or fantasized about knights, princes and princesses. People who are extremely practical and "here and now" do not connect as well, IMO.

Also, it helps if you visited the parks are children. I remember going to DL when I was three-years-old with my grandfather and ten-year-old uncle, and can still remember riding Dumbo with my uncle and looking down at my grandfather from high above Fantasyland in a flying Dumbo.

Today when I go to DLR with my children, it re-connects me with my childhood.

I think DLR also appeals to people who appreciate creative uses of technology. When I stepped off of Soarin Over California for the first time, I was overwhelmed with the experience and, as an engineer myself, awed by the way technology was used to transport you somewhere.

People who have close family and personal ties will also be more likely to appreciate DLR. When I go with my four boys and DW, we have a blast just being together in a fun environment.

I do not really like crowds either. And I hate, hate, hate to wait in lines. However, for some reason I make exceptions for certain things. For example, while I hate shopping and waiting in lines to buy things, I love to Christmas shop and do not mind waiting in lines to buy Christmas presents. Somehow the Christmas shopping crowds add to the experience rather than detract from it. DLR is similar for me. It would be downright strange to go to DLR with no crowds at all. The crowds give it an energy.

With that said, I do not seek out crowds. I avoid weekends at DLR, for example. And we use strategies to minimize waiting in lines (for example, see "HydroGuy's How To Avoid Long Lines Rules" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199856).

Maybe if you could plan your trip to avoid most of the lines your DH would like it better. Maybe using something like RideMax (www.ridemax.com) would help.

Being a Premium Annual Pass holder I try to get to the park at least 3 times a month (and that's pretty minimum for many pass holders) but when I go I'm only there for four or five couple hours at a time or mainly for dinner. I enjoy the rides but for the most part I just love the escape. I can walk and walk and walk, do some people watching, and just RELAX. It takes me anywhere from 45 minutes to two and a half hours to get there depending on traffic and when I get inside the gate it's just a big "sigh" that comes out of me. I HATE crowds, however once I get in either DCA or DL the crowds don't even exist for me.

I arrived in So. Cal about 25 years ago and the first 10 years or so I never made it to the park, now I try to get there as much as I can.

Michael

I agree, in some cases it may be because we grew up with DL. It is part of some of my fondest childhood memories.

I loved the stories as a kid and DL brought them to life for me. Like being able to explore on Tom Sawyers Island, Flying over London with Peter Pan, etc...

I like other theme parks, but nothing else comes close to DL for so many reasons.

Today part of the attraction for me (and my family) is the history of the parks, like what rides are gone and how elements of past attractions are used in new attractions. Also the details that are put into things, like the props in ToT from the TZ tv shows.

I love finding out something I hadn't known about the park before and coming home from work and telling my family "did you know..."

If your DH likes history / nostalgia you can try that angle.

GEE,let me think. Maybe the girls? Naah. ;)
I love it for taking my kids ( when they were younger). Now its my g-kids. :cool1:

At first it was all about the kids. We made our 1st family visit when my now oldest was 4 (she's 9 now) and my youngest was 1 1/2. They absolutely loved it so we went twice that year. We then heard about the AP and now we parents, prefer DL to Las Vegas. It's not so much about the magic of the park, it's more about the family being together in a place they all enjoy equally. Escaping the real world for 2-3 days each month is also a huge bonus.

Of course, you could always bribe him w/ offers of "hubby time" in ESPNZone or House of Blues (a guy place?) in DD or remind him of the big-boy rides like Indiana Jones or the Twilight Zone Tower in CA. There's just something about being Harrison Ford and/ or a Rod Serling character for a moment that's gotta appeal to him. :thumbsup2

Too, there's always the drinks in CA, but guess that depends upon his tastes and his wallet ($10 for a Lite, anyone?). :drinking1

Good luck-- just remind him that crowds are a fact of life, but DL's crowds rock! It sure ain't like going to WalMart, right? :p

Sorry, I just think some people "get" Disney, and some don't. Alot of people like Survivor or American Idol, or so I'm told. :confused3 Me? I've never watched either for more than 30 seconds at a time. (My tastes currently lean towards The Simpsons, The Office, and Earl. :happytv: )

The fact that he will go to DLR because of you and the kids, even though he may not enjoy it, does merit a :thumbsup2 in my book.

Men, why do you like DL?

There is just so much to do, see, hear, listen to, immerse yourself in, ride, taste, watch, explore, enjoy, film, photograph, laugh at, smile at, feel, absorb, consume, read, learn, reflect on, discover... :smooth:

:love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter