memory, graphics and registry questions for the technically minded

caribbound

DIS Veteran
We'll start with memory: I found a thread, or something like that, which explained how to increase virtual memory. Heh, I probably started the thing (Papaduck can relate here I'm sure)! Well ever since that I had no problems with vmk, less lag and never low on virtual memory, however I cannot clean up my computer. It analyzes and says I don't NEED to defragment, and when I say defrag anyways it's done in about 3 seconds. Somewhere in there it says it can't defrag w/ less than ??% open space and I am at like 98% capacity or something.

Decoy, Bluehairedmonkey, or any other dis transports that have been helpful in the past...are these things related and how do I go back to FIX it as vfk won't likely use up so much for awhile. I'm looking for a slightly used video graphics card, but that's for another thread. Also another question about online clean-up programs that I'll save for another thread. Thanks if anyone can help.

Graphics card questions: I can't play POTC online due to my computer being about 5 yrs old/inadequate 3D graphics. I'm hoping that it would even speed up things like VFK and Gaia. There is a local one for sale, supposedly 2 months old, for $70 (he says he paid $130 but they're listed at $109 so who knows). It's nvidia 8600 gt 1gb . Is that a good buy? More than I need? Too risky to buy used? Another at a much more appealing price but obviously older (he states barely used 2 yr old) is GeForce FX5200 128M AGP Graphics Card for $20. I don't know where these ppl live yet to factor in gas cost.

If any of you hard core gamers have updated your own stuff to play more intense games and want to sell your old card at a reasonable price, let me know.

Question 3 about programs that clean up registry errors:
I recently had some email issues and in our attempts to find out what was wrong I came across a couple programs that offer to scan you computer for errors, but then want at least $20 to clean up the more than 800 registry errors it finds. ONly about 30 things could be cleaned up using the free version...of course. The programs are rated well on a couple sites I've never heard of, but no mention of them on anything like CNets' Download.com or other reputable sites. If I find the names, basically the same program/look w/ different names, I'll post it. As mentioned earlier I can't defrag my computer so if the $20 will get it running faster it's worth it. I pretend to know what I'm messing with sometimes when I probably shouldn't so user errors are very likely my issue. I think I have 1 gig memory so seems hard to think it's 98% filled. ANyone know if these sites can be trusted or am I going to install major spyware if I download?

I THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART FOR HONEST SOUND ADVICE!

Hi Car,
Can't help with all your questions, but I'll give a shot at what I can. (and serve as bump back to the top) Before you buy a card, make sure it will work with your PC. Some of the older PC's only have a PCI slot, whereas AGP was new to scene (I think?) 5 years ago. Don't know if you still have the doc's for your PC but check them out, or check the control panel/hardware and it might tell you somewhere in there.

Both cards you describe seem OK. I'd probably just go to Newegg.com or Tigerdirect and see what I can get new for the budet you're looking for. You might also want to upgrade your memory as well...make sure you've got the most that your OS can deal with (2g maybe?)...I think you can go to Control Panel-System-Advanced-Performance-Settings to change how much virtual you got. (I'd check on this pc but they lock me out of those menus!).

Have fun...while you're at it you could upgrade the motherboard, might as well get a new processor too....:badpc:

You can't defrag and it's saying there's not enough room?

To run the program, the computer needs so much room on your hard drive. Check how much space is left on your hard drive by looking opening up My Computer. If there is very little room, you need to get rid of some unused programs. Or, if you have a lot of pictures, videos or music on your computer, burn them onto a disk and delete them from your computer. Videos can take up a lot of room.

Can't answer your other questions.

Free Space 114 GB
Total Space 144 GB

So..that means there's plenty of space, correct? I believe dh did upgrade to 2 G when I was complaining bc he said he was going to do it 6 months earlier, bought the thing but never installed it. That's about the time I increased my virtual memory.

I do have all my pictures stored on the computer, not a lot of music, and about 1300 emails if that matters. :rotfl: I figure some day I'll use some of the good looking recipes or health advice! :surfweb: But it still seems I have 70% memory open, so what's the problem? :badpc:

Thanks Ned for that very important info about it working w/ my pc!

As for my virtual memory. It currently states
Paging File Size
Drive C (Presario)
Space available 118001MB

Custom Size : Initial 1344mb - Max 1844MB

Total paging file size for all drives:
Minimum 2 MB
Recommended 1438 MB
Currently allocated 1344

Idk if that helps anyone. Most importantly I'm wondering if those programs to fix registry errors are legit and worth the $20.

My son just downloaded Safari to my computer. Anyone know anything about that? He seems to think it's better than IE7. I've only heard of Firefox as an alternate to IE.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter