Meal Plan not worth it anymore.

We are going during spring break so there is an upcharge on the regular dining plan. My dh and I went through every menu of all our ADR's copy and pasted them to an Excel spreadsheet. We picked out every meal, including, appetizers (if we wanted one) main meal, drink, dessert (if we wanted one) and totaled it all up with tax and tip. The DDP would cost us 200.00 + dollars more.

We calculated in snacks, counter service, ADR's, tax and tip for 5 people.

Unless you plan on eating hot dogs and potato chips, I don't know how you would dine for any less.

You must be buying really expensive hot dogs and chips.

We have done the dinning plan the last two trip but won't be doing it this year. I think one consideration that makes a big difference is kids that move into the adult catagory but don't eat like adults. We will be going for 8 days in October and with a family of 5 (kids 8, 11, 13) the cost for us would be about $200 a day if you include a tip each day or $1400 for the week. We will still eat when we want and eat what we want but won't feel obligated to eat three meals a day and sit down at one meal. When on the meal plan it always seemed as though we were planning our trip around meals rather than planning our meals around our trip. It's fun to go out to Chef Mickey, Ohanas, and Whispering Canyon Cafe but for us it is also just as fun to walk around DTD and grab a bite at McDonalds or go back to the room and rest a little bit and order some pizza.

we will totally be using it again. We have used it every year since 2006 and still feel that it is worth it.

1. Food is paid for up front, no need to worry about how much money to have everyday for food

2. No feeling that your food choices should be determined by the price on the menu.

3. Can order bigger/more expensive meals to share with under 3 kids.

4. No worries about price changes before you arrive. Recently Cape May increased their price b/c of crab and people were upset b/c they had not realized.

5. snack credits are great to keep daily expenses down, great for bakery item for small breakfast with refillable mug coffee, or late night snack or even a drink at the park.

More than anything I really just like knowing when I'm there that when it comes to food choices I can choose what I want without any thoughts about cost/budget etc.

Just my thoughts.

I would agree with you completely ... it must be a Canadian thing. :laughing:

Since we don't make the trip very often, we tend to splurge and pick more expensive restaurants -- and what can I say :rolleyes1 --- we eat like pigs :sad: because we're on vacation! :banana: :dance3:

We take advantage of the refillable mugs & we certainly use up all the snack credits, considering we always go in the summer & it's hot :scared:, but obviously it depends on your family. :grouphug:

We take the Deluxe Dining - it just makes sense for us - and one of the most important aspects (at least from a personal perspective) is that when I go to Disney (this sounds worse than it is) I refuse to worry/think about things too much. So point number 2 above is really important to me, at least when I'm on vacation! :cool1:

Good luck with your choice.

Cheers,
Zebsterama
:hippie:pirate:

I love Disney more than the average WDWManiac!!:banana:
After 35 years of planning trips for myself,,,my family and my friends,,,
You can calculate till you drop,,,,,and it will always come out....pretty much even....This means...after you add the discounts,,subtract the costs, and step back and open your eyes,,,it pretty much all comes out the same. Just know what level you can afford.
I just chose the % off deal....It was $1 different than the "Cash Back" deal..
Don't make yourself :scared1: crazy,,,,Find the resort you can afford,,
add any plan you want as long as you will be using all the perks,,,and enjoy your vacation!!! It's gonna be expensive,,,,but hey,,,you could have chosen to go anywhere else,,,,But we don't because................WE DO DISNEY!!:love:

Couldn't disagree more.;)

seriously?

Yep. Our family is getting ready to take our 25th trip to the world together. Disney does discount and there is a difference in our final cost using different discounts. We have saved a ton of money depending on what offer we're using. Right now I am getting a 35% off discounts off two rooms over an eight day period (that's sixteen nights for the average family of four). You bet that adds up. Last year I got the 4/3 offer plus a gift card for my mom. You just can't beat a deal like that! Discounts matter and they are not all the same.

I think one consideration that makes a big difference is kids that move into the adult catagory but don't eat like adults.

Again, that must be based on each individual family's situation -- I, for one, have a nearly 10yo daughter (who BTW is a stringbean) than can eat me under the table. She is sooooo excited to get the adult dining plan this time! And since my 5yo is also a big, adventurous eater, we do a lot of buffets to accomodate their more adult tastes, and they always surprise me with the choices they make. My kids are not of the nuggets-and-fries crowd.

After all that walking and riding, my family likes the opportunity to sit down together and eat a nice supper just like we do each night at home. We go during Sept for FD, but even if we had to pay for it, we'd still get the DDP so Mama wasn't sweating the meal budget. We find the DDP to be very freeing for everyone. Most valuable? Dollar for dollar, maybe not, I've not crunched the numbers -- but it gives us peace. :hippie:

I agree it depends totally on each individual family. I have read many people don't want to be tied down to resevations and take time out, but for us, that is what we like. We like to take that time out and rest up and eat a good meal. We go in knowing that we are NOT going to be able to do it all, and just try to make the most of it. And for us, eating like pigs on vacation is part of the fun. LOL!
I must admit my DH complains the whole trip how full he is, yet at each buffet we go to, he doesn't slow down. I told him just becuase it is all you can eat, doesn,t mean you have too! LOL!

We have been to WDW 6 times and used the dinig plan 4 years ago when appetizer/tip wasincluded. We decided to do it again this year(may) because 1.-I was able to get ADR's at amazing places like Le Cellier/Coral Reef etc 2. DS is turning 7 and eats great, will want his own meal, not just to share mine all the time.
3. I see WDW food prices have gone up. Even Buffets like Boma are now $35
4.No, at home we do not normally each get our own dessert, but it's a vacation! And we're definately walking off the extra calories.
5. It's good to "have to " take a break for a healthy sit down meal once a day. We like to go-go-go, and without a scheduled break, mid week, we're likely to come down with exhaustion. Especially DS, he doesn't always want to take extra time to even ask for a snack most of the the day while busy riding rides, but if he doesn't get enought to eat, watch out-here come the crabzillas! (me too)

So, does it save a TON of money, no. Ut yes, some and it "makes you" eat enough while doing disney. Disney can take a lot out of you without proper nutrition and rest!

Again, that must be based on each individual family's situation -- I, for one, have a nearly 10yo daughter (who BTW is a stringbean) than can eat me under the table. She is sooooo excited to get the adult dining plan this time! And since my 5yo is also a big, adventurous eater, we do a lot of buffets to accomodate their more adult tastes, and they always surprise me with the choices they make. My kids are not of the nuggets-and-fries crowd.

After all that walking and riding, my family likes the opportunity to sit down together and eat a nice supper just like we do each night at home. We go during Sept for FD, but even if we had to pay for it, we'd still get the DDP so Mama wasn't sweating the meal budget. We find the DDP to be very freeing for everyone. Most valuable? Dollar for dollar, maybe not, I've not crunched the numbers -- but it gives us peace. :hippie:

I see our families are a lot alike!:yay: I'm proud to have a 6year old who loves crab, California rolls, Lamb and hummus (no, not at the same time):)

We did DXDDP for 3 nights in December and saved $104.10, and are doing QSDP for 1 night this weekend and may save about $15. However, with the increases in price and exclusions, I don't plan to add the dining plan to any future reservations.

We did DXDDP for 3 nights in December and saved $104.10, and are doing QSDP for 1 night this weekend and may save about $15. However, with the increases in price and exclusions, I don't plan to add the dining plan to any future reservations.

How can you do it for 1 night? I thought you had to have a minimum of 3 nights to get any of the dining plans.

We did it the last year it included appetizer and tip and that was a deal. The next year we did it when it was they said you had to pay tip and it was alright. The next year was no appetizer and you pay the tip. Right now with our kids being young it is not worth as they do not eat as much.

We may try it when they are teenagers, can serve themselves and can eat one out of house and home. The it may be worth it.

:rotfl:

How can you do it for 1 night? I thought you had to have a minimum of 3 nights to get any of the dining plans.

The 3 night minimum is for the free dining promotion. If you're paying for the dining plan, you can have it for one night.

I did QSDP for one night once, pretty much just to get the mug on a split stay, and saved about $25. However, that's based on what I would have spent if I'd ordered everything I was entitled to on the plan. Had I not been on the plan, I would not have ordered desserts with the CS meals, and would have gotten a cup of water as a beverage. Nor would I have eaten the 2 snacks (both went for candy) and I wouldn't have purchased the mug at all.

We just returned on Saturday, 1/23 and did the DDP for 8 days. Overall we saved $87 by being on the DDP. I like not having to think about what we're paying for meals while were in WDW, and it was really the snacked - when used properly - that put us over the top. So, all in all it was quite worth it for us, we will definitely do it again!

Our last couple of trips we traveled with other families who were also on the plan. I am not sure we saved money, but it sure was nice to simply split the cost of tip and move on. No worries about who ordered more etc.

My wife and I will bring our teenage daughter and her 2 friends in August. We are covering hotel and flight, but the girls are paying for food and park tickets. The DDP will make things much easier.

We have always gone to WDW during the free dining since we have been taking our kids. We always stay at a value resort and the offers that we have gotten the free dining even paying rack rates for the room has always worked out for us to be the better deal. Even though you have to pay tips now it is great to be able to do the character meals. We would never be able to eat at the restaurants that we do without it.

I have been looking into a trip for just my husband and myself for our anniversary this May and if we do actually get to go I will probably just get the QS meal plan for the two of us. I like the ideal of knowing our meals are paid for and if we do get to go just the two of us it will be just for a long weekend so I really don't want any strict schdules to go by as far as dining reservations.

If you are willing to make your dining planning an integral part of your trip (making TS reservations in best places to maximize value, etc), and if you really put some effort into planning to take advantage of the program, then you can truly save money.

The problem arises if you don't do the planning. We have done the Basic DDP 3 times now. The first time our 2 dd's were on kids menu and the appetizer and tip were included. We saved a TON! I ate the best steaks, seafood etc available. 2nd trip one dd was now adult menu and not tip or appetizer. We still worked hard, booked amazing restaurants, and ate the best they offered and saved as well. The last time, both kids were on adult menu, and this time around, my dw and girls tended to order light.... salads, no dessert, etc., and we ended up with 2 qs and 4 snacks unused simply because they didn't feel like eating like there would be no food tomorrow :). On the 3rd trip we almost broke even, but not quite.

So, IMO DDP used to be a nobrainer, but now you really do need to plan your meals and take full advantage to have the real $$ value. I will say even the 3rd year, we still weren't disappointed we used it simply because the convenience of not menu watching .... it was all taken care of upfront, and that is nice in itself, especiall on your dream vactation.

We weren't going to do DDP in March, but now we ended up booking 3 TS reataurants that we haven't done and wanted premium seating for Illuminations and Fantasmic, so once again, we will be getting basic. I am confident we will get our money's worth again :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter