MCO or Port Canaveral hotel before cruise?

Arrive at 4? I would stay at the Hyatt. By the time you deplane, get your luggage, everyone uses bathroom, car, car seats etc., etc., you are looking at 5, if not 5:30. Then an hour drive to the port? Seems like a long evening, when you can just relax right there.

I would stay right at the Hyatt in the airport. So easy...just get up and bring all your luggage down to the Disney Cruise lounge, they will take your luggage and you can go get something to eat, or shop in the airport. We had a lot of fun when we did this. And they take the bus from the lounge right to the ship. It couldn't have been easier. Real peace of mind knowing you'll be on time for the ship, nice and early. We'll do this again when we go in September. Have fun!
We are staying at hyatt mco also first timer on DCl..cant wait i hear you can leave luggage in the room and they will come get it after 8 is that true? not saying we will do that..prob bring it down then go eat bfast..if we are out of our room by 8 is there enough time to eat bfast before we are boarded since we are first timers looks like we will be last around 10 which is ok with us if so...beats having to worry about check in at midnite..i can get up in the morning of check in and relax and do it then, before work

We are staying at hyatt mco also first timer on DCl..cant wait i hear you can leave luggage in the room and they will come get it after 8 is that true? not saying we will do that..prob bring it down then go eat bfast..if we are out of our room by 8 is there enough time to eat bfast before we are boarded since we are first timers looks like we will be last around 10 which is ok with us if so...beats having to worry about check in at midnite..i can get up in the morning of check in and relax and do it then, before work
I’m not sure about that. When we used the DCL bus service, it was great. But ours was a little unusual because we were sailing right after a major hurricane. The buses didn’t leave until later in the afternoon so we dropped our luggage off in the lounge and went and got lunch at the food court. The ship wasn’t allowed in the channel to dock until way later in the day and we boarded, for real, by lanterns and flashlights. The ship didn’t leave port until around 9 at night. It was really messed up. But there really wasn’t anything Disney could do about it. So I’m not sure when the buses actually leave, but I think it’s usually around 9 in the morning. So I think 8 wouldn’t give you much time to get breakfast. They are checking people in, calling out names, etc. if you were going to get breakfast it would probably have to be around 7 or so. But others that had a more regular departure would be better at clueing you in about that!

So I figured out my post-cruise hotel (Polynesian- thanks to all on here who encouraged me to add another day in the Disney bubble! 😍) and now I just need to settle on our hotel for the night before. I currently have us booked at Residence Inn Cape Canaveral, but since then I've heard a number of people say it's not THAT close to Port Canaveral and that we'd need transport from our hotel anyway, and staying at MCO Hyatt is easier and to just get up earlier the next day for the drive to the port? What do you all usually do?

I want to make sure we're at the port by 11 AM at the latest, since part of the reason I booked concierge was to be able to get an early port arrival time and enjoy as much of the ship as possible on debarkation day. With my family not really being early risers, I figured Residence Inn would be a lot easier on embarkation morning as opposed to having to get up and leave our hotel much earlier. That said, after a 1-hour drive to the airport and 3-hour flight with two small kids, I love the idea of not having to immediately put them back in car seats for yet another hour-long drive to Cape Canaveral, and being able to just relax after landing. Which do you recommend?

Thanks in advance!!
Well, you've taken the first step by flying in prior to embarkation day, which is so important with all of the flight delays and such. So with that said, I think it's more about your preference for whether you prefer the Orlando area or the coast as well as when you arrive at MCO. If you're arriving later in the evening, perhaps staying in Orlando and getting a good night's sleep is important...and the drive the next morning is not bad at all. If you're arriving earlier and can take advantage of the views of the coast and ocean, then I highly recommend that option. We always try to go over to the coast early afternoon and generally try to have lunch at Fish Lips (the ships pass right by this restaurant and there is outdoor seating for great views) before checking into the La Quinta Inn & Suites where just about every room has some view of the ocean. It's almost like getting an extra day of cruise time because the ocean, the sights, the smells & seeing other ships gets you in the cruise mood!

I'm the type of person that wants to get all of my travel done the first day. Even though it is always a long day getting here, I still think you'll be better off getting down to the port the night before. It's an easy drive, and once you get down to Cocoa, you can get dinner at Rusty's or Fishlips - Fishlips does have nicer views) and begin that "I'm on vacation feeling". Check into your hotel after dinner. (Just let them know you're here). Try to pack a carry on bag that holds everything for everyone for a one night stay. Then the next day you can be more relaxed, and ready to start your cruise.

We are staying at hyatt mco also first timer on DCl..cant wait i hear you can leave luggage in the room and they will come get it after 8 is that true? not saying we will do that..prob bring it down then go eat bfast..if we are out of our room by 8 is there enough time to eat bfast before we are boarded since we are first timers looks like we will be last around 10 which is ok with us if so...beats having to worry about check in at midnite..i can get up in the morning of check in and relax and do it then, before work.

We had our first MCO Hyatt stay in September. Sounds like they have changed bus assignment procedure since then to Castaway Club status. As a first-time cruiser, you will not be assigned the first bus (or several).

At that time, the first bus left at 9:20. There is no reason to think it will leave earlier than that. It has been a long history of check-in starting around 10:30. The parking garage often opens at 10:15 for new passengers.

We were not in a rush. And when we did go downstairs, we had time to go back to the room, where I got a nap.

In other words, you don’t have to check out at 8 am. Okay to drop your keys on the way out. Or go back to the room to gather your stuff. This is the beauty of staying here - it is much more civilized.

Our luggage was not picked up until closer to 10 or 11. They put it in a cargo truck (with the roll-up door in the back). Still loading as we boarded the bus. I have not read a report of missing luggage!

Hope this is a great beginning to your cruise experiences!

That's true... but DCL Transfers from the Hyatt Lobby now include some "perks" that some folks may consider to be "worth" the additional cost of the MCO Hyatt. Those include luggage transfer directly from the hotel room to the ship, check-in at the Hyatt lobby by CC status with assigned bus, no PAT/early boarding group. By comparison, staying at any other airport area hotel requires shuttle to the hotel (with luggage), shuttle back to MCO (with luggage), drag luggage to the DCL Transfer check-in location, waiting in crowds (possibly in long lines) for the DCL Transfer which is first-come/first-served, and must get a PAT during DCL online check-in and boarding number will be higher (later).

Personal choice how much extra someone is willing to pay for MCO Hyatt, but it definitely has more "perks" recently than in years past.
I came on here just to find out how Hyatt MCO guests are handled these days. My niece and her family is sailing a Halloween cruise. Does luggage need to be ready at 8am? Does the Hyatt need to be booked through DCL in order for them to collect luggage from the hotel room? They will be using DCL transfers but I can book a hotel using my cc points. Do they have to mention at check in that they're sailing on DCL to have luggage picked up from their room?

When you say check in at hotel lobby, do you mean check in for the cruise?

Thanks! :goodvibes

Last edited:

I came on here just to find out how Hyatt MCO guests are handled these days. My niece and her family is sailing a Halloween cruise. Does luggage need to be ready at 8am? Does the Hyatt need to be booked through DCL in order for them to collect luggage from the hotel room?

When you say check in at hotel lobby, do you mean check in for the cruise?

Thanks! :goodvibes
You get the luggage service even if you book directly with Hyatt (that probably means Priceline type booking, too - ?)

No, hotel lobby is at the hotel in the airport. Take the hotel elevator to get to lobby/check-in.

The area for gathering to board is on the same level as the front desk/hotel lobby. It’s about 30 seconds away. Just ask - or do a little wander to discover the surroundings.

In the morning, they do an excellent job herding you.

I have stayed at the Hyatt MCO several times so I am familiar with the lobby up the escalator/elevator from the airport terminal. The last time we stayed there AND had DCL transfers was before covid and they were not offering any DCL check in at the Hyatt. It seems a lot has changed since then.

So you're saying that on the morning of the cruise, you can leave DCL-tagged luggage in room and go to hotel lobby to check in for the cruise and not have to do it at the port?

Then the buses are boarded according to tiers of CC Level?
Also, everyone staying at the Hyatt MCO doesn't really need a PAT and will have a relatively low BG#?

Does this mean there's no real need for a Silver CC member or first timer sailing DCL to stay up after midnight to do online check in?

Does the Hyatt need to be booked through DCL
The Hyatt does not need to be booked through DCL, but be sure to inform DCL that you are staying at the Hyatt. Also make sure the reservation for the Transfers state Hyatt Lobby (not MCO). There are separate manifests and you cannot get added at hotel check-in the night prior; if not on the Hyatt manifest, guests need to go to the main MCO location for DCL Transfers.

I have stayed at the Hyatt MCO several times so I am familiar with the lobby up the escalator/elevator from the airport terminal. The last time we stayed there AND had DCL transfers was before covid and they were not offering any DCL check in at the Hyatt. It seems a lot has changed since then.

So you're saying that on the morning of the cruise, you can leave DCL-tagged luggage in room and go to hotel lobby to check in for the cruise and not have to do it at the port?

Also, everyone staying at the Hyatt MCO doesn't really need a PAT and will have a relatively low BG#?

Does this mean there's no real need for a Silver CC member or first timer sailing DCL to stay up after midnight to do online check in?
I believe they’re talking about checking in for the bus. You still have to check in for the cruise online - it’s a separate procedure.

Right. Some people have figured out how to leave a tip for the hotel porter attached to luggage handle.
Very low. With this latest system (by CC level, I expect the BG will be lower than equal level guest not arriving by Hyatt bus.

Sounds like you’re up to date.

And have a lovely night’s sleep - do online check at your awake convenience.

Right. Some people have figured out how to leave a tip for the hotel porter attached to luggage handle.

Very low. With this latest system (by CC level, I expect the BG will be lower than equal level guest not arriving by Hyatt bus.

Sounds like you’re up to date.

And have a lovely night’s sleep - do online check at your awake convenience.

Back when we used to stay there, we just left the cash on top of the suitcase. I would hope that catches their eye.
Come to think of it, it's been so long since we sailed out of PC. It probably was 2016.

It won't be me staying up late; we're Pearl. My niece would have that pleasure. She's a nightowl though. I don't think she'll mind. :hyper:

Thanks for your help.

The Hyatt does not need to be booked through DCL, but be sure to inform DCL that you are staying at the Hyatt. Also make sure the reservation for the Transfers state Hyatt Lobby (not MCO). There are separate manifests and you cannot get added at hotel check-in the night prior; if not on the Hyatt manifest, guests need to go to the main MCO location for DCL Transfers.
Would that mean a possibility of luggage being left behind in the hotel room?

Would that mean a possibility of luggage being left behind in the hotel room?
I don't think I've ever read of anybody whose luggage was left behind at the MCO Hyatt. I suppose it's possible, but they seem to have a system that works.

If you are asking about folks leaving luggage who aren't on the Hyatt manifest... they would not have been instructed to leave luggage behind in their room, so I guess the important thing is to follow the instructions one receives. Even if one has stayed at that hotel previously and taken transfers, procedures sometimes change and it's important to read the current instructions.

I don't think I've ever read of anybody whose luggage was left behind at the MCO Hyatt. I suppose it's possible, but they seem to have a system that works.

If you are asking about folks leaving luggage who aren't on the Hyatt manifest... they would not have been instructed to leave luggage behind in their room, so I guess the important thing is to follow the instructions one receives. Even if one has stayed at that hotel previously and taken transfers, procedures sometimes change and it's important to read the current instructions.
The last time we took transport from the MCO Hyatt to the port I *thought* we were on the Hyatt-Port manifest but weren't...there was some confusion at check in (and the front desk clerk was sort of snippy) but I was handed a card (which I've kept) that had a phone number to a delightful CM who instructed me to follow the directions for MCO-Port --which included taking our suitcases to the baggage claim level (down the stairs, basically, where a lady checked us off a clipboard and relieved us of them so it was NBD (this Nov 22, I belive). No harm, no foul except for a wee bit of anxiety on my part, a strongly worded email to the GM of the MCO Hyatt Regency (I'm a frequent visitor and highest level there) about the clerk's attitude (that's not my style but it was blatant) and lesson learned.

A no brainer must do for us has been a Beach Facing Room in Cocoa Beach. We enjoy knowing PC is only minutes away AND IF worse came to be - we could schlep to the Terminal :duck: , but seriously we CHILL after arriving and wake up EARLY (5am+/-) just to watch the ship as it glides by heading into the channel then back into a cozy bed for a bit (or not) then up to watch the sunrise while listening to the waves coming ashore and we even have a small breakfast before heading out.

This is our preference too, unless we arrive really late. We rent a car and park at the port. It's more expensive, but we love going to Ron John's in Cocoa Beach and dinner. And it's really nice to walk off the cruise and have a car.

But the feeling of waking up on cruise day and knowing you are just down the road from the cruise makes the morning much more casual and enjoyable in my opinion. That said, if we arrive late, staying at the airport is fun too.

Good point! We land at 4 PM. What would you do in that case? It’s a Sunday, so hopefully rush hour traffic to Cape Canaveral wouldn’t be an issue?
If you land at 4 pm - i would head to Port Canaveral, check in , do dinner there and just relax in the evening in the hotel pool.

Allows for a much less stressful Monday morning for sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter