May

gilby

DIS Veteran
I would like to know how busy Disneyland is during the month of May. Our daughter will be graduating from College and wants to go to Disneyland, but we are unsure of the best month to go.

If you go after May 22nd it will be busy this year because that is when the 60th Anniversary kicks off. You could go before that but some of the rides will still be closed for refurbs.. Also, grad nights start in May. I don't really know how that affects the park experience since I have never been there during that time.

If you're considering May, early May is the best time. Right now there aren't many refurbs because most of it is done for the big 60th celebration. You'll want to check the refurb list on this sight for specifics. Mid to late May you have to watch for grad nights and the numbers do start to climb ramping up for Summer.

we have been to DL twice - we went the 2nd and then the 3rd weekend in May. having never been at any other time I don't have much to compare it too but I definitely thought everything was manageable. the lowest crowds were on a Tuesday night over in DCA - seriously I felt like there were only a handful of people in the park. I would recommend this time just pay attention to grad nights.

I agree with the PPs that said it really depends on when in May you are thinking of going.

On or After May 22: May 22nd (the 24-hour day) is the kick-off to the summer season, when park hours are longer, entertainment schedules are fuller, and fewer refurbishments, but the crowds are higher. The weekdays might not be to bad, but with all of the new 60th anniversary entertainment, I would expect moderate-to-high crowds starting on May 22nd.

Before May 22: Prior to that, it won't be that bad in the parks, especially on weekdays. There are some days when the schedule is little off (e.g., DL open slightly earlier, but closes at 7:30 pm). It's also worth noting that there are a number of refurbishments happening right now (e.g., Peter Pan, Matterhorn, Soarin') due to the upcoming 60th, so if you go in early May, those attractions may still be closed. Also, fireworks and F! are only presented on weekend (Fri to Sun).

May 7 to 10: Lastly, it's worth noting that May 7 to 10 is when the Tinkerbell Half Marathon is scheduled, so expect high crowds during those days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter