May & Mother's Day isn't easy for everyone

Tomorrow is the anniversary of my Mom's death. It was peaceful, and she was ready to leave. I wasn't ready to let her go, but I had to. Cancer takes the family along with the deceased in some ways. I got a tattoo to honor her. It's her favorite flower, a yellow rose, growing out of a purple heart. When I went to see my psychiatrist the week after her death and showed him the new tattoo, I said the purple heart symbolized fighting even though wounded in the battle. I remember he asked me then if the purple heart was for my Mom or me. Made me think. I guess it was for me.

Anyway, I miss her so much. I miss my father too, but my Mom was my...I can almost say 'soulmate.' When she passed, a part of me went with her.
Purple is also a very spiritual color. Hugs to you. :flower3:

It can be tough. My Mom and MIL have passed on, and I have made peace with that. My 2 DDs will remember me in some way tomorrow, though one of them is abroad now. I don't expect to hear from my DS but that is OK, I know him well and we are quite close in our own way. My church choir is singing a very sentimental song tomorrow which always makes me teary when we rehearse it. Not really doing anything special tomorrow.

After several bad relationships and a disastrous engagement, my daughter chose not to marry or have children. She teaches 3rd grade and I can tell you that she has stepped into the role of mother to many children over the years. She has wiped many a tear, hugged many a hurting child, and counseled many a troubled little one. Some of her students are emotionally and physically neglected; and for them, she is the only mother figure they have ever known.

Please don't come into a really nice and helpful thread to start up with posts like these. I am childless by choice and medically. I chose not to have children because of my mental illness, and then I was told that my endometriosis was so advanced and that the scar tissue on my uterus meant that it would never expand to hold a growing baby. I found that there is a great difference between choosing not to have a child and being told that you can't.

I have nieces and a nephew I helped raise, and a little Godson I adore. I put any 'Mom' energy I have into helping with him.
Happy Mother's Day to your daughter NannyBeBe and to you BlueStarryHat.
I don't think giving birth or adopting are the only ways to be a "mother" to a child; and, these two posts make that very clear.

My Mom and I in 1968. I was two months old. She loved me and my sister just like this her entire life. She was warm, fiercely protective, and always my best friend. I miss her so much:

f3ILV5.jpg

I mentioned before that I made all of my Mom's birthday and Mothers Day cards. This is what I wrote inside her 1996 Mothers Day Card:

A mother... is the most unselfish of God's creations.

She is the one who sends nightmares away
even when she herself is afraid.

She is the one who takes away all of your sadness
even when it means putting off tears of her own.

She is the one who has to be teacher, friend,
provider, protector and disciplinarian all in one body-
even when it's sometimes a thankless job.

She is often appreciated only when it is too late
to express your gratitude for all that she had to do
to make you the person you've become.

Few of us are blessed enough to realize what we
have been given when there is still time to say the words.

I envy your strength. I appreciate all that you've done for me,
and I love you. You are the person who is most precious to me
on this earth.

Happy Mothers Day!

Here's the card. It was too big to scan, so forgive the bad photo. My Mom collected carousel horse figurines all her life, so that was that year's theme:
DkTj28.png

I am missing my mother a lot today. She has been gone for 15 years.I had a nice day with my husband but haven't heard anything from DS24. I have a good relationship with him but he's not great about holidays etc. It did make me a little sad.

TaI hadn't kept up with the thread for a few days when it started a bit rocky. I'm so glad it became something so encouraging and uplifting as Luvorlando meant it to be from the start.

I COULD not agree more.
@LuvOrlando , this thread has been so encouraging, so filled with kind thoughts. You are a special person. Sending you a lot of love. @BlueStarryHat , I have been thinking of you all week, today included. I read your most beautiful post about your Mother, I had tears in my eyes. ❤️to you my sweet, lots of love.

I am glad it’s about bed time, I am glad to put it to rest ❤️🌈 to all

I COULD not agree more.
@LuvOrlando , this thread has been so encouraging, so filled with kind thoughts. You are a special person. Sending you a lot of love. @BlueStarryHat , I have been thinking of you all week, today included. I read your most beautiful post about your Mother, I had tears in my eyes. ❤️to you my sweet, lots of love.

I am glad it’s about bed time, I am glad to put it to rest ❤️🌈 to all
You are absolutely part of the Dis collective I was attempting to reach, there are lots of people for all sorts of reasons

I always feel the same way as you describe, once a triggering holiday passes the air gets a little sweeter & my heart a little lighter.

Today, I feel more at peace and today is just today, a regular old Monday - I love that.

I am missing my mother a lot today. She has been gone for 15 years.I had a nice day with my husband but haven't heard anything from DS24. I have a good relationship with him but he's not great about holidays etc. It did make me a little sad.
My 23 year old son texted me around 1:00. It was a crap shoot whether or not he would remember. 😉

We are very close but he’s not good about that stuff either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter