May Med Magic - May 15 2010 - Meet thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may have answered the question myself. Go to easyjet.com and they are showing some real good fares and times for leaving the day we arrive back in Barcelona. Vueling.com also is a low priced airline but not as low as easyjet. They fly into Charles deGaulle from BCN:goofy:

I would like to know that myself! We are thinking about arriving a couple of days early and heading into Paris instead of Barcelona. We would love to do some site seeing and check out Disneyland Paris before heading to the port. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Laura

We are on a later Med cruise (May 26) and planning to do a short visit to Paris before Barcelona. There is an overnight train from Paris (Austerlitz station) to Barcelona that arrives around 8 or 9am. Figure the train provides transportation and berthing. We are going to do a one day trip to DLPR from Paris during our 3 day 2 night stay.

I have a question that hopefully someone can answer. I was on the easyjet.com website, and I am confused about the "hold bag" charges. Does that mean carryon luggage or actual luggage? We will have probably 2 actual luggage pieces that we would be taking with us should we decide to fly from BCN to and from CDG. Plus our regular carry on luggage, such as a laptop and our plane convenience items. The idea of the train is appealing, but we won't have much time and we want to make the most of it!

Thanks!
Laura

The "hold bag" charges are referring to checked luggage. They charge for checked luggage like most airlines in the U.S. (except for Southwest!):banana:

I'm on this cruise!!! I'm in a secret porthole room with my DD, DM, DS, DS, DDFFNY, & DMFFNY!!!!

I can't wait to get to know all of you and hopefully set up a meet once the big day comes next May! I'm writing down ideas already for my fish extender!

We also might be going to Disneyland Paris! This will be our first time to Europe! I can't wait!

Hi everyone!

I can't wait to go on this cruise! Only 243 more days until we set sail from Barcelona. I'm traveling with bubby627, Icollectbelle, and appleguy. Bubby-I think you are confusing people with your "DDFFNY" - too many letters to figure out! I'm guessing you mean friends from New York. :laughing:

I live in Florida, my family lives in Missouri, and we have friends from New York who are all traveling with us. Can't wait to start planning this trip (and I'm really anxious to see shore excursions! - when do you think they will be posted??)

So now that we have the new Castaway Club levels, what level is everyone?? I'm GOLD! :cool1:

I've been away (at DLR Paris) so not been checking in here for a few days. Thought i'd give you all some of my DLRP travel tips.

From barcelona to Paris will be quickest by plane, but by train may be more confortable/less rushed. In Europe we have a lot of budget airlines that are cheap for your basic seat but charge excessively for checked luggage (hold luggage) and the convenience of checking in at the airport. Some of them also severly limit the weight/size of hand-luggage. If i have checked luggage i personally avoid the budget airlines.

As an example, i just flew Air France to paris from the UK - cost us £220 including drink and snack on plane, 20kg checked baggage per person. The equivalent flight on a budget airline (similar times of day/same airport) would have cost us £250 including the hold bagage and with no drink/snack. (luggage was going to cost us £50 and only 18kg per person).

There is a train station at DLR Paris itself, so you can get the Eurostar from London direct to DLRP, or get an RER train (line A) from central paris out to DLRP. RER trains from Paris are about every 10-15 mins and take around 45 mins from central paris (depending on your stop). Info on Paris region trains can be found at www.ratp.fr (there is an english option).

If you're flying into Paris there is a bus service that costs around 18Euro per person each way. www.vea.fr If there's 3 or more of you for just a couple of days it may be cheaper to hire a car (assuming you're happy to drive a manual).

For DLRP tickets - if you're staying 3 days or more, it'll be cheaper to buy the fantasy level annual pass. Avoid the Francilien as this has odd exclusions (can't visit on the 2 days after you buy it). You can buy these on the gate as a walk up and then have the paper ticket converted into a plastic card at the annual passport office. The AP's carry some discounts on food and in the shops.

If you're staying onsite - the website only alows booking of ticket-inclusive packages, but if you call the phone lines you can book room only. Expedia often has room only too. There are some offsite hotels that are pretty close and are usually cheaper, and some have shuttle buses. Check expedia or equivalent for these.

I'd highly recommend splashing out on seeing Buffalo bill wild west show (dinner and a show - great fun for the whole family and not something Disney have really done at their other parks)

As there are 2 parks i'd recommend 2 days (though you may only need 1/2 or 2/3 of a day in the Studios as there's less to do there)

For those of you used to DL and WDW, DLRP is similar but different. The standards of customer service are not as high and the park is generally not in as good state of repair as in the US. However, this doesn't detract too much from the experience and imho DLRP does offer the best versions of Haunted Mansion and Pirates.

If anyone has questions, i'm happy to answer, and there's always the DLRP board here on DIS.

Hi everyone!

I can't wait to go on this cruise! Only 243 more days until we set sail from Barcelona. I'm traveling with bubby627, Icollectbelle, and appleguy. Bubby-I think you are confusing people with your "DDFFNY" - too many letters to figure out! I'm guessing you mean friends from New York. :laughing:

I live in Florida, my family lives in Missouri, and we have friends from New York who are all traveling with us. Can't wait to start planning this trip (and I'm really anxious to see shore excursions! - when do you think they will be posted??)

So now that we have the new Castaway Club levels, what level is everyone?? I'm GOLD! :cool1:

Have to admit, i'm struggling to translate all of the connections with this really big group (for the meet list).

Could someone just clarify it a little for me?

Ta

PS - I'll be Silver Castaway Club.

Wow - thanks for all the great Paris advice!!

Sorry, I know we're confusing. :confused3 You just about figured it out! Here's a little more clarification:

5. ICollectBelle / AppleGuy / pixiedust519 / bubby627

ICollectBelle - 52 (from MO)
AppleGuy - 60
Stateroom #5020
Late seating

ICollectBelle & AppleGuy's kids (from MO & FL)
Pixiedust519 DD1 - 27
DD2 - 25
Bubby627 DS - 23
Stateroom #5022
Late seating

Friends of ICollectBelle (from NY) - 60,63
Stateroom #5518
Late seating

Oh, and also, I'll be celebrating my birthday in Naples, Italy on May 19th!!! :yay: We'll also be celebrating appleguy's birthday (his is May 13 which will probably end up being a travel day for us so we'll celebrate when we get on the ship!!)

242 Days!

Thanks for the info on Paris and transportation from Barcelona. The train sounded more fun and appealing to me but my concern is the time (8 hours) & that it doesn't leave until the evening, as we only have a few days to spend at DLP and in the city.

Anyone find a good hotel to stay at in Barcelona before the cruise? We are considering a Holiday Inn as I have points to use there but not sure how convenient it is to the port.:banana:

Wow - thanks for all the great Paris advice!!

Sorry, I know we're confusing. :confused3 You just about figured it out! Here's a little more clarification:

5. ICollectBelle / AppleGuy / pixiedust519 / bubby627

ICollectBelle - 52 (from MO)
AppleGuy - 60
Stateroom #5020
Late seating

ICollectBelle & AppleGuy's kids (from MO & FL)
Pixiedust519 DD1 - 27
DD2 - 25
Bubby627 DS - 23
Stateroom #5022
Late seating

Friends of ICollectBelle (from NY) - 60,63
Stateroom #5518
Late seating

Thanks!

You do :rotfl:know you aren't allowed to bring anyone else with you or change Stateroom now we've got it straight :rotfl2:

Thanks for the info on Paris and transportation from Barcelona. The train sounded more fun and appealing to me but my concern is the time (8 hours) & that it doesn't leave until the evening, as we only have a few days to spend at DLP and in the city.

Anyone find a good hotel to stay at in Barcelona before the cruise? We are considering a Holiday Inn as I have points to use there but not sure how convenient it is to the port.:banana:

We're booked into the Eurostars Grand Marina see here for the night immediately before the cruise. We got a good rate through expedia, it's a little bit more expensive than some smaller hotels on las ramblas but we figured convenience was better for that night before.

I have been told it is where Disney put those who booked pre-cruise accomodation last time round, so am hoping there'll be a luggage service to the ship that we can take advantage of.

It is basically part of the port terminal- so at worst you can get to the ship using the blue port bus which goes to each of the cruise berths, or indeed walk if you don't have too much/heavy luggage.

I'm on this cruise!!! I'm in a secret porthole room with my DD, DM, DS, DS, DDFFNY, & DMFFNY!!!!

I can't wait to get to know all of you and hopefully set up a meet once the big day comes next May! I'm writing down ideas already for my fish extender!

We also might be going to Disneyland Paris! This will be our first time to Europe! I can't wait!

As Bubby627 has mentioned FE's i've added that room to the FE list.

Is anyone else interested in taking part in the FE, so i can update that list?

It's funny, i should be planning my vacation that's in 17days, (which includes a trip to DLR Anaheim) yet i still keep coming back to check up on Cruise info/planning.

Anyone else out there going to the Med with us? We need some more excitement on this site. I have my hotel booked for May 14 as do our friends from NY. Still have to figure out getting from Barcelona to Paris

Are you considering the Disney excursions or going to do it on your own? I can't decide, want to see as much as possible but want to be able to afford to eat the next year and not give it all to Disney for the excursions. Hope we see the excursions soon.:banana:

Gary:thumbsup2

Are you considering the Disney excursions or going to do it on your own? I can't decide, want to see as much as possible but want to be able to afford to eat the next year and not give it all to Disney for the excursions. Hope we see the excursions soon.:banana:

Gary:thumbsup2

I know exactly what you mean about the cost! Since this is our first and probably our last trip out there we too want to make the absolute most of it. We will probably do a combination of excursions from Disney and on our own stuff. I am searching through books trying to decide which ports would be best to shell out the money. We are lucky to have $900 in shipboard credit (thanks DCL and DU!!), but want to spend it wisely. I will probably add some money to that to help ease the bill when we get off of the ship. I keep watching airfare and hotel rates but will probably not book those until after the first of the year in hopes that the prices will come down a bit before then. I too hope to see some info on what DCL will be offering! Planning everything just adds to the excitement! And I can't wait to book the Panama Canal crossing for Jan. 2011 on Monday!

Laura

Hi everyone:wave2:

Dh and I just booked our room for this cruise! We were originally booked on a 7 day in March but decided to take the chance and follow our dreams to the Med! Anyway this will be our second DCL adventure, and I am hoping to book an Alaska trip for 2011 while I am there:rotfl:

Here's our info:

Mary (32 at sail date)
DH - Dan (mousepotato) (31 at sail date)
Room #2574
Late seating
Celebrating 3rd Wedding Anniversary & Mousepotato's MBA graduation!

We would be into doing the Fish extenders (soon as I can figure out how to make one:rotfl:)

Welcome, Mary!!! :yay:

Glad to have some more people joining us on the Med. I'm going on a 4-night on the Wonder 3 weeks from today!

We booked a hotel for our post-cruise vacation in Paris. We also booked a tour in Rome (on our own - not with Disney). Still waiting for Disney excursions to be posted though. I'm getting anxious so we can start planning more!! I'm hoping that they are released on Oct 29th with the Dream announcements. Fingers crossed!!

Welcome Mary and Dan/ Have added you to the lists.

Gradually we are picking up a few more cruisers. Hopefully we'll have more people checking in in the coming weeks, as planning mode kicks in for more people.

For excursions, we are currently undecided. We will probably do a lt of things ourselves. For example it's dead simple to get to Monte Carlo yourself from the Villefranche stop (short train ride and Monte Carlo itself is quite small so walking friendly).

We do have the luxury of living in the UK so its easier for us to get to places like Rome for a short break on another occasion rather than relying on a one day bus trip.

I do wish DCL would issue info on their excursions so we can start to research each of the stops (and save the cash needed to pay for them :scared1:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter