May 2013 Car Rental - Best deals?

I just checked through the Costco site and got an intermediate car for May 10th pick up 10:00am and drop off May 20th at 3:00pm for $156.05, all fees and taxes included through Budget.

I went ahead and booked it, but am not sure I am going to keep it. I also have a reservation through Alamo for a midsize that I booked last week, for the same dates using the Costco ID, Visa coupon, and Alamo Insiders for $193.00 all taxes and fees. I have only rented through Alamo in the past and like being able to choose my car. For only a $37.00 price difference, which would you go with, Alamo or Budget?

Well, I just checked again and a midsize car from Budget through the Costco site just dropped again (to $141.73 for May 10th-20th). Hmm, that's $52.00 cheaper than Alamo. Budget is starting to look better and better. Alamo is still hanging in there at $193.00

UUUGGGGGHHHHHH!!!

I just noticed that my Alamo reservation for this weekend doesn't say anything about being able to use the kiosk. I called to ask and was told that the coupon I used required me to go to the counter. I USED THE COUPON FROM THE WEBSITE FOR THE WEEKEND RENTAL! I have rented tons of times with Alamo and always used a coupon and this is the first time I won't be able to use the kiosk. Guess I'll be jumping ship and going with Alamo or Budget for a lower rate if I still need to stand in line!!!! :mad:

UUUGGGGGHHHHHH!!!

I just noticed that my Alamo reservation for this weekend doesn't say anything about being able to use the kiosk. I called to ask and was told that the coupon I used required me to go to the counter. I USED THE COUPON FROM THE WEBSITE FOR THE WEEKEND RENTAL! I have rented tons of times with Alamo and always used a coupon and this is the first time I won't be able to use the kiosk. Guess I'll be jumping ship and going with Alamo or Budget for a lower rate if I still need to stand in line!!!! :mad:

I think you can't do the online checkin and go directly to your car in the garage when you have a coupon. We've rented from Alamo at least 20 times in Orlando, always with coupons and have always used the kiosks near the rental counter.

I think you can't do the online checkin and go directly to your car in the garage when you have a coupon. We've rented from Alamo at least 20 times in Orlando, always with coupons and have always used the kiosks near the rental counter.

I've rented tons of times with a coupon as well and ALWAYS used the kiosk, but I'm being told that I can't even use the kiosk - that I have to stand in line. I keep call and continue to get routed to the call center in India. I'm about to cancel and go with Dollar and I can go straight out to the car :confused3

Same here - I always use coupons and always use the kiosk. I've never gone to the Alamo counter. You can't do online check in with a coupon, but kiosk is no problem.

Agreed...always use a coupon that I never actually have...go thru the kiosks...grab my car...and GET THE HECK TO WDW!!! Never an issue.

Same here - I always use coupons and always use the kiosk. I've never gone to the Alamo counter. You can't do online check in with a coupon, but kiosk is no problem.

This is good to know, I don't mind not doing the online check in as long as we can head straight to the kiosk and be on our way!

2Pirates2Princesses said:
This is good to know, I don't mind not doing the online check in as long as we can head straight to the kiosk and be on our way!

Don't confuse online checkin with checkin at the kiosk. Online checkin is for when you aren't using any coupons. The kiosk is for when you have coupons. And the counter is for suckers.

Decided to switch to Alamo and booked a minivan for 7 days for $279.65 total using the Alamo insider's discount plus the free day with 5 day minimum w/Saturday deal retriever special. This is about $20 more than the reservation I had with Dollar, but I like how with Alamo we can check in online, check out quickly with the self service kiosks, and can also choose our vehicle. :thumbsup2

I tried this and it shows no mini vans :(

Alamo Insider using free-day-with-5-day-rental online coupon has dropped a couple of times over the last 5 days for me.

Don't confuse online checkin with checkin at the kiosk. Online checkin is for when you aren't using any coupons. The kiosk is for when you have coupons. And the counter is for suckers.

That's what I figured after reading the previous posts. We will just forget doing online check in and head on down to the kiosk so we can be on our way :thumbsup2

I tried this and it shows no mini vans :(

What dates are you traveling? Not sure if this would make a difference but when I go on the Alamo website I first log in with my Alamo Insider's info before selecting the deal retriever. I still see a minivan as available when I plug in my dates but for some reason the rate is higher now :confused3

Alamo Insider using free-day-with-5-day-rental online coupon has dropped a couple of times over the last 5 days for me.

My reservation for 10 days is down to $312 using Alamo Insider and free day with 5 day rental. Beats the reservation I have with Hertz through AAA by almost 100 bucks. :cool1:

Darn it. Just tried Alamo insider plus free day 386.00 for 8 days minivan. Already have Dollar city special from a few weeks ago 297.00 Was hoping for more savings.:sad1: Still have a few more days to keep trying :)

Keep checking your rates up until you leave! I checked last night and our rate for Saturday dropped with Alamo on a minivan. You never know what the rates are going to do I guess.

Keep checking your rates up until you leave! I checked last night and our rate for Saturday dropped with Alamo on a minivan. You never know what the rates are going to do I guess.

They sure are, especially for the minivan. Yesterday over $500 for our trip, this morning $249! I've got an Intermediate SUV (Ford Escape?) through Budget at $190 right now and a Fullsize with Alamo for $114(!!), but I'm waiting to see if I can get the minivan for under $200 for 5/26-5/31 out of TPA. It's such a game! But it keeps me busy until our trip...:goodvibes

They sure are, especially for the minivan. Yesterday over $500 for our trip, this morning $249! I've got an Intermediate SUV (Ford Escape?) through Budget at $190 right now and a Fullsize with Alamo for $114(!!), but I'm waiting to see if I can get the minivan for under $200 for 5/26-5/31 out of TPA. It's such a game! But it keeps me busy until our trip...:goodvibes

I just got a 7 day minivan for $199 with Alamo out of TPA so I think your odds might be pretty good!

I also have a Fullsize car with Budget for $115. Still trying to decide which to keep.

Does anyone know of any car rental companies (or any tips to avoid) that don't have the Young Driver fee? We have a reservation through Dollar but my boyfriend is 24; there's no option on the website to add a young driver to see how much it would cost. I don't want to spend hundreds of extra dollars!

For example, if I book Alamo through Expedia would I be able to bypass the counter and just use the kiosk? Will the kiosk know he's not 25 and automatically add an additional fee?

sab53085 said:
Does anyone know of any car rental companies (or any tips to avoid) that don't have the Young Driver fee? We have a reservation through Dollar but my boyfriend is 24; there's no option on the website to add a young driver to see how much it would cost. I don't want to spend hundreds of extra dollars!

For example, if I book Alamo through Expedia would I be able to bypass the counter and just use the kiosk? Will the kiosk know he's not 25 and automatically add an additional fee?

If you have any way to use a company discount code they often waive that fee. We use my husbands company discount and have never had to pay that crazy fee and we are only 23/24 this year.

If you have any way to use a company discount code they often waive that fee. We use my husbands company discount and have never had to pay that crazy fee and we are only 23/24 this year.

What companies have you rented from that didn't charge you?

5/22 -5/27....I now have a minivan for 253 (5 night get one free deal) and a Full Size for 125...if only I could decide which one to keep! We considered the SOG deal which would have been just 39$ for the standard and 125 for the van, but not sure we want to pass up the grocery store trip and take the time to head to pick it up....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter