~May 14, 2011~ Eastbound Transatlantic Cruise on the Magic!

Our plan is to fly to London for a few days, then fly home from there. I'm hoping to talk my husband into shipping some luggage home from Barcelona. :) I don't look forward to having to tote 2 weeks worth of baggage to London for 3 days!

FYI - at least for us in NC, it's cheaper to fly home from London than Paris. Even if you figure in getting to London.

I was thinking the same thing. Do you know how much it cost to ship luggage home. I researched a little bit and couldn't find anything that wasn't extremely pricey.

I was thinking the same thing. Do you know how much it cost to ship luggage home. I researched a little bit and couldn't find anything that wasn't extremely pricey.

No idea. Apparently UPS was set up at the port on the last EBTA to offer shipping of luggage home. I tried to estimate on UPS's website, but got ~600EUR, which seems like more than it would cost to ship *me* home! :rotfl: So hopefully that's not accurate!

Was anyone on this year's EBTA that can comment on luggage shipping rates?

All I can tell you, is that shipping via UPS, or FEDEX here in europe is CRAZY expensive to the states - completely cost prohibitive, and it is actually cheaper to pay the airlines extra luggage fees.....

Went to 3 craft stores today to gather up some supplies to make a Fish Extender and some magnets. I know it is still 10 months away but I feel I must begin getting things all ready. Anyone else working on their cruise craft projects? :thumbsup2

I am so looking forward to a long cruise. 7 day cruises are wonderful so I can only imagine how I much I will love the 14 days! :cloud9:

Well, we are having to cancel our cruise. The price of adding airfare for the 5 of us made the cruise (even with inside cabins) was just too much for us right now.

Since I started the thread, feel free for someone else to take over and just copy all the first post info (so you can edit it). Hope y'all have a GREAT trip!

Just booked this!

Can't wait, only 291 days to go.

Disname: babymaeby
real names: Josh and Jennifer
No kids
Room 5520 10A (secret porthole room!!!)

This will be our 2nd DCL cruise. We did a 7 day western in Jan 2008.

Curious if anyone on this thread can tell me, has the price gone up substantially since when you booked? I just kind of stumbled upon it and was shocked to find a 14 day for around $1000. We upgraded to 10A and it still was only $1299. Is that an increase or decrease from when it was first released?

:guilty:
Just booked this!

Can't wait, only 291 days to go.

Disname: babymaeby
real names: Josh and Jennifer
No kids
Room 5520 10A (secret porthole room!!!)

This will be our 2nd DCL cruise. We did a 7 day western in Jan 2008.

Welcome Josh and Jennifer !

We booked about 1 month ago and the rate did not seem to change since then.

We are doing the countdown here as well ! It seems so faraway... :sad1: But before we know it, it will be right there ! :cheer2:

OK...all airfare booked!!!! Used miles on American to Orlando from LA!!! Miles on British Airways from Paris to LA with layover at Heathrow. And flying Lufthansa from Barcelona to Paris with a planned over night stay in Milan Italy...$321. We have almost a full day to see a select few sights in Milan so yay!!!! now the search for a hotel in Milan!!!:surfweb:

OK...all airfare booked!!!! Used miles on American to Orlando from LA!!! Miles on British Airways from Paris to LA with layover at Heathrow. And flying Lufthansa from Barcelona to Paris with a planned over night stay in Milan Italy...$321. We have almost a full day to see a select few sights in Milan so yay!!!! now the search for a hotel in Milan!!!:surfweb:

Good for you. I've just started researching fares and from YYZ the cheapest I can get is $1800 pp! :headache: At that rate the $1000 that DCL is charging us for airfare and ground transfers is looking pretty good. I figure if a seat sale comes along I can always cancel the air portion before 90 days. Seems to me like a lot of the airlines don't have their schedule published for May 2011 yet though. Hopefully more options will become available soon.

Good for you. I've just started researching fares and from YYZ the cheapest I can get is $1800 pp! :headache: At that rate the $1000 that DCL is charging us for airfare and ground transfers is looking pretty good. I figure if a seat sale comes along I can always cancel the air portion before 90 days. Seems to me like a lot of the airlines don't have their schedule published for May 2011 yet though. Hopefully more options will become available soon.

Yeah, we took the airfare with DLC also. I've been looking at airfare from YUL and it's $1900 pp. Like you said, $1000 from DCL looks good ! I'll keep checking too just in case a seat sale happens ! :woohoo:

My DW and I are on the May 2011 EB Transatlantic cruise! We arrive in Barcelona on morning of May 27th but we do not officially disembark until the morning of the 28th. We will tour the city during the day.
We have a 9:10 AM flight out of BCN on the 28th. I was thinking that on the night of the 27th we would leave the ship and check into a hotel at the airport. This would relieve all the stress of fighting 2000+ other people trying to leave the ship and get to the airport at the same time on the morning of disembarkation.

Has anyone else done this? Will they allow us to leave the ship one night early since we will already be in port?

Thanks!

DIS Name: WClayton
First Name of Those Sailing: William & Nancy from North Carolina
Ages of children at time of sailing: N/A
Stateroom(s): Deck 2
Cruised Before?: Yes -Disney(1), RCCL(2), HAL (2), Carnival (1)
Celebrating anything special? Annual Vacation

Just booked the cruise today. Trying to firm up one flight plans from BCN. We did a RCCL Med Cruise this year and a RCCL Northern Europe last year. Our Honeymoon was on the DCL Wonder in 2003.

Can't wait for our first TA! :woohoo:

William & Nancy

DIS Name: WClayton
First Name of Those Sailing: William & Nancy from North Carolina
Ages of children at time of sailing: N/A
Stateroom(s): Deck 2
Cruised Before?: Yes -Disney(1), RCCL(2), HAL (2), Carnival (1)
Celebrating anything special? Annual Vacation

Just booked the cruise today. Trying to firm up one flight plans from BCN. We did a RCCL Med Cruise this year and a RCCL Northern Europe last year. Our Honeymoon was on the DCL Wonder in 2003.

Can't wait for our first TA! :woohoo:

William & Nancy

Welcome and congratulations! :woohoo: Don't know the answer to your flight dilemma though. Good thing you have nine months to figure it out!

Looks like sadly our original thread poster is no longer able to make the trip. Does anyone know how to take over the thread so we can keep the list of people updated and also continue to plan things like the FE?

I am happy to help with any of the planning for our group if someone wants to let me know how we go about taking over.

Well, we are having to cancel our cruise. The price of adding airfare for the 5 of us made the cruise (even with inside cabins) was just too much for us right now.

Since I started the thread, feel free for someone else to take over and just copy all the first post info (so you can edit it). Hope y'all have a GREAT trip!

My DW and I are on the May 2011 EB Transatlantic cruise! We arrive in Barcelona on morning of May 27th but we do not officially disembark until the morning of the 28th. We will tour the city during the day.
We have a 9:10 AM flight out of BCN on the 28th. I was thinking that on the night of the 27th we would leave the ship and check into a hotel at the airport. This would relieve all the stress of fighting 2000+ other people trying to leave the ship and get to the airport at the same time on the morning of disembarkation.

Has anyone else done this? Will they allow us to leave the ship one night early since we will already be in port?

Thanks!

We are also looking at a 9:10am flight as it is hundreds of dollars cheaper than flights later in the day. I'm hoping we can leave the ship early on the 28th and still make this flight! We're waiting to book the airfare until we know if it's doable or not. Any one have any insight?

Well, we just purchased our airfare! We'll be leaving at 11am so we no longer have to worry about making a 9:10am flight. Plus, we'll only have one connection! YAY!

Jim that sounds like something we are going to do. Our daughter will be almost 9 at the time of sailing! We will have to get them involved so they have someone "they know".

We just got back from a 5 day Key west trip on the wonder. It was nice but short.

We didn't mean to kill the thread. ;) I guess it is still a little ways away though.

Hope everyone from the US had a nice 4th of July. We spent the entire day at the fitness club pool where they had a wonderful view of the town's fireworks.

Oh, looks like flights from all airlines are available now coming back from Barcelona. We're talking about taking a short flight to London, spending two nights there, and then flying back on Memorial day. I just keep watching Orbitz and travelocity every day for the best price!

Jim

Jim that sounds like something we are going to do. Our daughter will be almost 9 at the time of sailing! We will have to get them involved so they have someone "they know".

We just got back from a 5 day Key west trip on the wonder. It was nice but short.

Hannah would love that. She met someone on our last cruise and had a blast with her. They did so much together and it was really great.

We're getting an American Airlines credit card in order to get the cost of the flights to come down. The bonus miles are enough for a one-way ticket and we figure we spend enough to come up with another "free" ticket by then. So we'll just have to pay out of pocket for one if all goes well. :)

As for taking over the thread it may be best to start a second thread and close this one down. Amanda and I are also more than happy to help maintain the roll call or do any other planning.

Jim

Jim that sounds like Abbey! On the Panama Canal Cruise she made a couple of friends and it made for an extra special vacation for her.

I will have to look into that AA credit card......it's always an idea.

I don't know how to take over the thread but would love to help in the planning. We will be in the Walt Suite so we will have to set up a party for all of us board members to meet each other and for our kids!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter