Masks - really ?

My guess is Disney will provide regular disposable masks (not N95 of course), but will offer these for sale if you want the cool characters etc. - similar to the Magic Bands. Honestly $5 doesn't seem so bad.

The virus can stay on hard surfaces for 72 hours. You touch something with the virus on and then touch your mask (face) the mask to protect you has now infected you. I have no intention of alarming anyone. I am just saying, think outside of the box. There must be a better way. I am shocked that so many people think that Disney profiteering is acceptable. Are you mad ? If you want to donate just look at at 100 year old Captain Tom in England. That’s sincerity and not Disney machiavellian..

If you touch the mask, it does not infect you unless you turn it around and stuff it inside your mouth or rub your eyes with it. You wash the mask after each use and do not touch the outside of the mask during use. If you do touch the outside of the mask with your hands, wash your hands.

Even if disney doesn't say you have to wear a mask, I could see some people may want to wear one for part of a day. Maybe not walking around outside, but in a line where there is just dead air. I'm thinking 7 dwarfs, low ceiling, small space, one kid sneezes.

I know medical people wear them for hours on end, but so far I'd done about 10 mins when picking up my walmart order. I don't know if I could wear them all day. How would they stay on with some of the rides, like a rollercoaster? I can see it now, TT shut down because someone mask flew off and now they need a hazmat team.

If you touch the mask, it does not infect you unless you turn it around and stuff it inside your mouth or rub your eyes with it. You wash the mask after each use and do not touch the outside of the mask during use. If you do touch the outside of the mask with your hands, wash your hands.

And if you touch your face with your hands whilst adjusting the mask ? Come on, let’s be honest there must be a better way. That’s all I am saying.

I really don't know how I feel about safeguard protocols at WDW.
  • Distancing, yes. No more 'fill in all available space'. No more filling in extra seats next to a family/group.
  • Temp screen, yes. I realize it there are gaps but it still makes a tremendous difference to spread. People with fevers shed higher viral loads. People with fevers will think twice about showing up at the park gate. People who unknowingly have fevers will become aware.
  • Masks, unsure at WDW. In regular life they make sense when people are hopping into a store or temporarily sharing public space. But to keep putting it on and off all day in WDW... that's probably more unhygienic than no mask there.
For WDW, I think mandatory thermal screening and distancing but make masks optional. Those who choose to wear them are likely to be the people who understand how to use them properly. To make the other people wear them is inviting trouble because if they aren't using them properly it brings them more risk in an environment like WDW.

I think WDW is going to need to increase ventilation for some rides and buildings, too. Get that air flowing :)
That actually seems pretty do-able - you must wear the mask to go in shops or indoor shows and cues - those have AC anyway. Is putting it on and off any more non-hygenic than touching it and playing with it non-stop? Because that's what I'm seeing and that's bound to happen in the heat and humidity. Besides, isn't heat and humidity supposed to kill COVID?

Missing the point. It doesn’t protect you. Personally I think making money out of misfortune is reprehensible. But hey, each to their own I guess.
No, but other people wearing them protects me. I really don't get your point as to how this is reprehensible. For the short-term, it's going to potentially be a safety requirement that you can choose to follow, or wait until the requirement is gone to return to a place like WDW. No one is forcing you to buy a mask.

Since a majority of folks appear to be fine with a short-term mask-wearing period, Disney is providing a way to make it perhaps a bit more fun - no different than if decide to buy their t-shirts or magic bands. My choice to go to the park. My choice of what mask I'm going to buy/wear.

Re the smoking comment. Weird as it may sound research suggests that nicotine has an adverse affect on C19. However I would in no way suggest that we all start smoking or vaping.

And if you touch your face with your hands whilst adjusting the mask ? Come on, let’s be honest there must be a better way. That’s all I am saying.

I still do not think you understand the purpose of a mask. If you touch your face while adjusting the mask what? If you happen to stick your hand inside your mouth while adjusting your mask is one thing, touching any other part of your face while adjusting the mask is the same as touching your arm. Do not lick your face, do not like your arm after doing so.

No, but other people wearing them protects me. I really don't get your point as to how this is reprehensible. For the short-term, it's going to potentially be a safety requirement that you can choose to follow, or wait until the requirement is gone to return to a place like WDW. No one is forcing you to buy a mask.

Since a majority of folks appear to be fine with a short-term mask-wearing period, Disney is providing a way to make it perhaps a bit more fun - no different than if decide to buy their t-shirts or magic bands. My choice to go to the park. My choice of what mask I'm going to buy/wear.

Because Disney are making money out of your fear/anxiety? If you are happy with such exploitation fair play. I am not. Plus do not lose sight of the fact despite the cost, you are not safer, you just think you are.

Wearing masks is a new concept to some, but when I worked in a large university I saw foreign students wear them occasionally. At the time I figured they were sick, or wanted to avoid getting sick.

I had a visit with my doctor last month, before masks were a requirement here, and asked her about the need for masks. She told me that wearing them was a good idea if only to keep one from putting your hands in/on your mouth and nose. This seemed a reasonable explanation to me since in addition to the droplet from someone sneezing, any droplets I might pick up on my hand and then transfer to my face (move a piece of hair, rub an itch, out on lip gloss, sip water, whatever) would be avoided until I get to a place where I can wash my hands. If you constantly move the mask or take it on and off, well you may reduce its effectiveness. But, I’ve gotten used to wearing one when I go out as well as the other social distancing rules. I will probably bring a mask with me on every flight I take from here on in and people will know why.

I still do not think you understand the purpose of a mask. If you touch your face while adjusting the mask what? If you happen to stick your hand inside your mouth while adjusting your mask is one thing, touching any other part of your face while adjusting the mask is the same as touching your arm. Do not lick your face, do not like your arm after doing so.

From what I understand, it's not big deal if I touch my mask and do not touch my face (to generalize). Say, I grab the mask at my nose and wiggle it because I have an itch. Still safe for myself and others, no? It helps act as a deterrent from touching your face also. Same for me, with gloves. They say not to wear them, because you'll stick them in your eye or something. For me, they are a constant reminder NOT to touch my face, and thus better to use than not.

From what I understand, it's not big deal if I touch my mask and do not touch my face (to generalize). Say, I grab the mask at my nose and wiggle it because I have an itch. Still safe for myself and others, no? It helps act as a deterrent from touching your face also. Same for me, with gloves. They say not to wear them, because you'll stick them in your eye or something. For me, they are a constant reminder NOT to touch my face, and thus better to use than not.

Yes then just wash your hands after doing so. The biggest reason for wearing a mask is to help prevent the spread of the virus if the wearer is an asymptomatic carrier. It prevents that person from spreading it to others as easily if they were not wearing a mask.

Because Disney are making money out of your fear/anxiety? If you are happy with such exploitation fair play. I am not. Plus do not lose sight of the fact despite the cost, you are not safer, you just think you are.
I do not think just because they are selling them they will make them mandatory. They are a fun item. Some see as necessary some don't. But for heaven's sake, how long can they lose money,? I don't think they should open for awhile. Selling masks is a much safer way to make money than opening the park.

Multiple people in this thread have already explained to you that wearing a mask is to protect others. Not sure what you're missing here.

As all things, everyone will have different opinions. If it's going to charity, so be it (have not read anything on this, just piggybacking off comments).

It would not surprise me to see these in parks. I for one, would not wear it at WDW. I live in NYC, I wear a mask all the time and I'm miserable in it. I can't wait to come home and take it off. It's ok for bursts like shopping, but if I go to WDW, I will not want to take it off to eat, put it back on and walk around for 12-15 hours with it, if required I'd opt to cancel my trip.

Not to mention kids...every kid is different but I know my nephews would be pulling it off all the time. I think you'll see plenty of people optionally wearing them, but again taking it off to eat, taking it off for pictures (including ride pictures) etc. You'll have the germs everywhere as usual.

A lot of locations have started to and most likely will continue to require face masks for a while - if I’m going to have to wear one I might as well have Mickey Mouse on it. Besides I know if I place an order with Disney they will fulfill it or return my money if they can’t fulfill the order - no such guarantee with certain amazon sellers...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter