Mask and two year old

Again, you don't need to go out to put on a mask, just put it on at home, all day just like you would a shirt or pants. Just make it a normal thing to do
That would be ideal but I don’t have a say. I mention it every time we talk but I really can’t control what‘s going on 450 miles away. They have a live in nanny so she’s at home 99% of the time.

We’re driving, staying in our camper at Ft Wilderness and will be eating in. If mask wearing doesn’t go over well we’ll find something else to do-swim at the pool or head to the beach or a state park or something. This won’t be her last Disney trip with Nana and masks are not a hill I’m willing to die on 😊

I have a 2.5 year old that has been great at wearing masks since March. But when she was 18-22 months there would have been no way she would have even worn one for a second without ripping it off. I think even those few months of age can make a huge difference and you will be surprised

I have a 2.5 year old that has been great at wearing masks since March. But when she was 18-22 months there would have been no way she would have even worn one for a second without ripping it off. I think even those few months of age can make a huge difference and you will be surprised

I mean shoes and socks are hard enough at that age....

But I really wouldn't worry about September 2021 now.

We have a trip planned for September 2021 with our son. It will be Gigi’s first WDW trip and he will be 2 years 2 months at the time. Today I just realized that since he will be 2 he will be required to wear a mask while flying and at Disney. I’m very concerned because there is no way he will leave a mask on. Does anyone on here have experience with having a barely 2 year old at Disney with a mask?
We also have a 2 year old that was barely 2 when we went to Disney in July. We made a big deal of letting him pick out his own mask. We did a trial run at the zoo before we left and told him he couldn't get out of the stroller without his mask. It clicked really easily that he had to wear it. It was also easy at Disney World because everyone else is wearing a mask. I wouldn't stress yet. At 18 months, there is no way he would have worn a mask because he wouldn't have understood that he had to. By 2 or a little older, it clicked that he had to wear it in public. We bought 2 of 2 different Disney patterns that are "his" and he freaks out when he has to wear one of his sister's because it's not "my mack". Good luck!

Our son is 3 and is on the autism spectrum. It’s been a test of faith, but my wife finally found a mask on Etsy that he can tolerate. It has ear loops but it also wraps around the back of the head with Velcro which helps alleviates the ear-pulling pressure. I took him with me to a big box store this weekend, and he wore his mask the entire time! I was thrilled! We will be in Disney soon so we’re praying that he can keep it up!

We just returned last night from a trip with a set of twins that 2 years and three months. I give a lot of credit to their mom who practiced a lot with them on wearing masks. We flew Southwest and they were pretty strict about reminding us to keep their masks on. Thankfully they slept most of the way down. However in the parks I saw a lot of young children with no masks at all and no CM commenting on it. Many of them looked more like 4 than 2. Our 2 kept the masks on pretty well with only a couple of issues.

I was going to say the same thing...we have been at Disney for a few weeks and have seen tons of kids older than 2 with no masks and no cast members saying anything to them.

ETA: I’m not saying this is ok, or that people should expect to get away with not masking their children. I’m just sharing my observations. If I were to report this to cast members every time I saw it, then that’s all I would be doing all day long. It’s not my job to police other people’s mask compliance at Disney.

Last edited:
OP should not count on CMs not saying anything about a child not wearing a mask. There is to be no exception to mask wearing at Disney. If a certain CM doesn’t say anything or a family disregards that is inexcusable. If people reported to CMs maybe that would help. If your child can’t wear a mask then postpone your trip.

I just want to add that the new masks from Disney absolutely do not fit a two year old. Purchase and try masks before you go. I have one of the Disney cloth masks for my almost 3 year old and it fits fine. I’m going to Magic Kingdom next month and decided to buy a couple packs of the new masks with the newer material. Well, they just fall off her face.

Hopefully by thanksgiving next year they will no longer be needed.

My 2 year old only just started wearing a mask and he's 2 yrs 10 months. No way he would have done it as a younger 2 year old. I only booked our December trip after I was confident he would wear the mask, and there's no way I would have booked airline tickets without being 100% certain of mask cooperation. I know it's really hard. I think 3 is a much more realistic age to expect mask wearing.

Just to report back-The grandbaby did much better than I ever hoped for. The prospect of riding Teacups was enough to motivate her 😊

She is a thumb sucker, though, and there were occasions where we were asked (very nicely) to adjust her mask. A few of the CMs were wonderful and told her what a great job she was in doing.

We only spent a couple of hours in a park at a time, arrived early and left when things got busy.

I work in the schools with all special needs pre k kids. I am thoroughly impressed with so many of our kido’s. It was truly amazing even while I was treating. Yes a lot have issues with them due to sensory and other medical concerns but overall it was so positive and it’s been getting easier. You will be able to do it with practice!

As
I’ve noticed in the parks that the little children are doing great with masks. I’ve really been surprised at how well they’re doing with keeping masks on properly. Maybe because they hear the announcements and see everyone else wearing one?

They’ll be able to take breaks at relaxation stations, the pool, eating/drinking and your resort room.

Practicing at home should help.

Watching videos since re-opening may help too.

My son is on the autism spectrum and when he was little I use to make Social Stories for him, a step-by-step guide how things will work at Disney. You can find examples online. Maybe making a social story about Disney with masks will help?
As a teacher, I must say that is a great idea!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter