Marriott joining WDW nixing small toiletries

It doesn't surprise me. The majority of the Marriotts we have stayed in overseas (primarily in Asia) in the last few years have all done away with the small bottles as well as most of the low level chains (like Residence Inn and TownPlace suites).

The article does state they will be replaced by larger containers attached to the wall, so I don't see any issue with this. Honestly, with the hundreds of brands of shampoos available and people's individual preferences, it seems like most experienced travelers already bring their own toiletries anyway.

Not all dispensers will be attached to the wall. Higher end properties will have freestanding bottles of toiletries.

Until, I'd guess, those full size bottles start packing themselves in departing guests' suitcases...

For the record, I believe InterContinental Hotels (Crowne Plaza, InterContinental, Holiday Inn, and other brands) was the first hotel group to announce the elimination of the tiny plastic bottles. That was at the end of July 2019.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/30/business/intercontinental-hotels-plastic-toiletries-trnd/index.html
I'd bet that these business decisions have been studied independently at each major hotel group. As such, I don't think any of them is suddenly doing this simply because a competitor did it first. But, if Marriott is following anyone, it's InterContinental and not Disney.

Actually Marriott made an initiative back in 2017 that have owners the option to remove single use and move to dispensers. The cost for the large size actually is more than the single use and many owners didn't want to make the transition. Now Marriott is forcing them to make the change. Happy to hear it

For the record, I believe InterContinental Hotels (Crowne Plaza, InterContinental, Holiday Inn, and other brands) was the first hotel group to announce the elimination of the tiny plastic bottles. That was at the end of July 2019.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/30/business/intercontinental-hotels-plastic-toiletries-trnd/index.html
I'd bet that these business decisions have been studied independently at each major hotel group. As such, I don't think any of them is suddenly doing this simply because a competitor did it first. But, if Marriott is following anyone, it's InterContinental and not Disney.

I stayed at a Holiday Inn two years ago that had the large wall mounted bottles. It was fine. I was there on a short work trip, so I hadn't brought my own.

What I find curious is how everyone raked Disney over the coals for this. How cheap they are. How horrible and unsanitary this is. Still feel the same as it becomes industry standard? Seems a certain segment can’t accept that it’s really for the environment.

I think its for the environment AND about saving money.
I don't have a problem with no more little bottles in any hotel. I have a drawer full from lots of different places. Most of them never get used.

If it cost money to get rid of the little bottles, I doubt they would do it.

I just stayed at a Marriott at Sesame Pl. and they had the wall dispensers for shampoo, conditioner and shower gel. I like the idea much better than those little plastic bottles.

I never cared whether they were little bottles or wall-mounted dispensers, I thought the wall-mounted was fine at CBR, just that they should continue to supply toiletries, including lotion.

And it's still lame with Disney ditching the lotions, doesn't change my opinion on that one. If these hotels ditch providing lotions and soaps I'll think that's lame as well.

I sure hope they continue to provide soap at the bathroom sink...if not....ewwww.
There's probably a lot of people who don't pack a bar. I do because I prefer the brand I use.

I sure hope they continue to provide soap at the bathroom sink...if not....ewwww.
There's probably a lot of people who don't pack a bar. I do because I prefer the brand I use.

I have never even thought about packing my own hand soap. We don't even use bar soap at the sink at home, only liquid soap.
I do bring my own bar for the shower, since the hotel ones always make my skin feel sticky.

I commend Marriott for doing this and not just at the moderate level hotels. I can understand the need for the high end hotels to have nicer items, but happy they did this across all properties.

Well yeah, I get liquid soap by the sink at home, but do you pack some to bring along? A small bar is reasonable and easier to pack. The soap I like is made by a local and all natural.

Well yeah, I get liquid soap by the sink at home, but do you pack some to bring along? A small bar is reasonable and easier to pack. The soap I like is made by a local and all natural.

No, it's never occurred to me to pack my own hand soap. I always expect a hotel to have it in the room and I've always been fine with using what's provided.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter