Marketing Meeting On Monday

goofy!

<font color=green>You have to ride a roller coaste
Just to create more anxiety:

Just got off the phone with WDW Travel. When I asked about codes, he was vague. When I said that the internet boards were abuzz, anticipating codes this weekend, he came clean. He said the WDWTravel cast members were all being required to attend a HUGE marketing meeting on Monday morning. He said that "I was probably right" about there being some very, very good codes very shortly. However, he said he would be surprised if they were released this weekend. He thought that they would be released after the meeting on Monday. But he kept telling me that this meeting was "huge."

Let's hope he knows what he is talking about!!!

-Goofy!

Looks like there may be something afoot- over here in Ireland (and the UK) the TV was awash this morning with ads for the new McD's happy meal promotion (characters from the DLP Fantillusion parade). There's also a big promotion in Tesco's supermarket (the UK version of Publix or Safeway) - they're giving away 8 vacations to DLP every day. The 'where the magic lives' ads are airing pretty frequently too.

I have my fingers crossed for some August codes (still deciding if we'll make it over or not).

Oh, to be a fly on the wall at THAT meeting! :tongue:

But I guess we'll find out the info sooner or later!

Debbie

US Orlando sure is advertising up a storm -- in all forms of media. Maybe the competition is heating up for summer guests.

I keep hearing buzz on other boards about a huge marketing blitz in the Sunday newspapers. I can't wait to catch the early edition of the Sunday AJC for more info. I'll let you know if I find anything good. Mickey

Originally posted by goofy!
...He said the WDWTravel cast members were all being required to attend a HUGE marketing meeting on Monday morning. He said that "I was probably right" about there being some very, very good codes very shortly. However, he said he would be surprised if they were released this weekend. He thought that they would be released after the meeting on Monday. But he kept telling me that this meeting was "huge."
Just to give you another view of this:

It could also be the announcement that Disney is switching over their reservations center to the new software program. This would effectively eliminate CRO from the booking equation and put all reservations through WDTC. It's been in the works for a while now and should be just about ready to implement.

Just to let you know...our papers here in S. Fla had a 6 or 8 page pull out section LAST week on Sunday about WDW. It was suppose to look like a "write up"...but the small print said "advertisment". There were no rates listed in this...just info about WDW.:( :(

I am sure your papers in the north will get it soon!!

Just a side not on US Florida. Have you seen the ad where they say "If pixie dust and fairy tales are not your cup of tea... " (or something like that). I was LOL as I had never really heard of ads from Universal that have directly tried to attract business away from WDW!

Keeping my fingers crossed for July codes!

on another post, someone already got their advance copy of the superfluous sections of the Sunday paper (in another post). No ads for WDW anywhere.

:confused:

Princess Dot wrote:

>Just a side not on US Florida. Have you seen the ad where they >say "If pixie dust and fairy tales are not your cup of tea... " (or >something like that). I was LOL as I had never really heard of >ads from Universal that have directly tried to attract business >away from WDW!

I did the WDW College Program in the Spring of 1990. Universal opened during the time I was there. The TV news was full of reports from Universal exectutives saying that their park was going to blow Disney out of the water and that it was going to put a serious dent in WDW's attendance figures. It almost bordered on Disney-bashing and was very negative. They day USF opened Disney took out a full-page add in the Orlando Sentinel, welcoming USF to Florida and saying that anything that was good for tourism was good for them all. It was a classy move and I've never forgotten it (I still have the page somewhere).

Usually "huge must attend meetings" are for long range plans or major restructuring.

Alas, maybe it's just the stormy weather here, but I have to agree with Goldie Oldie. It sure sounds like the bell is tolling for CRO. Disney might try to sweeten things with some great deals but at they will also kick in those stringent rules for all bookings. Hope this isn't true 'cause I've loved those conversations with the friendly folks at CRO!

The cast member said this was definitely a marketing meeting regarding a marketing campaign that was going to start very soon. He was pretty certain codes were part of the campaign. But he thought the marketing would be after the meeting on Monday and most likely starting next weekend in the Sunday papers. He joked that he hoped it didn't start this Sunday, as he hated to book rooms when the customers knew more about the codes than he did.

As for the CRO changeover - he confirmed this also. In fact, I actually called CRO and got WDW travel. When I asked for CRO, he told me that they were phasing out CRO with the new system, stating that CRO would be completely gone by end of summer and that I would have to book with him with the 45 day cancellation. Needless to say, I didn't book. Was able to call back and actually book with CRO with the 5 day cancellation policy.

Goofy!

in keeping with the guessing game, I think I saw some of the "marketing blitz" via TV today. As I mentioned in another thread, Visa is kicking off a 2 month contest with 100 grand prizes to WDW. I saw no less than 3 commercials in a 90-minute time frame during the KY Derby coverage on NBC and I saw the same ad on ESPN a few times. These was a VISA commercial, but I saw it a lot today.....I think it is all tied together somehow.

edited to add: it was on at least twice during the NASCAR race as well. Same commercial, no variations on the theme.

Madge

I saw the same commercial too and was also whether this was the big marketing campaign. I have seen the commercial before but not for awhile. I think the 100 prizes to WDW are new. The commercial itself certainly is not. I really hope this isn't the "marketing campaign." The commercial seemed to be more about the Disney Visa than WDW.

I hope this is coherent as I have not yet had sufficient quantities of coffee!

The commercial itself certainly is not. I really hope this isn't the "marketing campaign." The commercial seemed to be more about the Disney Visa than WDW.

the bibbidi bobbidi boo commercial? I really think that one is new because it is specifically about the contest. The contest didn't start until 5/1, so I can't imagine they were playing it before then...there was also no specific mention of the Disney Visa, just "use your Visa card to be entered" blah, blah, blah...they showed several different Visa cards in the ad.

no matter, since today is obviously not the "big day"

makes me wonder if there will be any new ads tonight on the Wonderful World of Disney???

I spoke with also said they would be merging into one travel service (WDTC & CRO) but that it wouldn't take place until the end of this travel year. They are currently having their computers updated and they are all excited about it being a unified approach.
That Monday meeting is going to give me nightmares!! I've had two dreams about codes already- I'm really spending too much time trying to save money- but boy it is nice to save with a family of five!! :)
Tara

If Disney is phasing out CRO and asking the Walt Disney Travel Company to take over all reservations at any Disney resort....

Then do you really think that the WDTC will continue requiring payment in full (for your entire stay) weeks before your visit to Orlando????

I'm confused.

I know of no other hotels in the country that require you to pay more than one night as a deposit before you arrive.

I always understood the WDTC requirements, because they were selling packages...sort of like paying for a cruise upfront.

But if it's just a hotel room, why pay upfront? I like to stay for 10+ nights in a deluxe resort. That's thousands of dollars.

I'd rather pay for the entire visit when I arrive at the resort (or when I check out).

I do not want Disney to hold on to all of that money weeks before I arrive.

And even though you only lose $100 if you cancel your reservation. I think 45 days notice is too far in advance. Sometimes work schedules change, etc.

Most hotels require a one or two day advance notice for cancellation.

I always thought 5 days was reasonable at WDW, because a Disney resort is such a hot commodity. If something changed at work, most people would know a week or two before the trip.

But if the only way to book a hotel at Disney and not lose your deposit requires 45-day advance cancellation, that just seems a lot to ask of guests.

Maybe all of their resorts (about 20 of them, right?) are always booked to capacity and they need to discourage people from staying. Or maybe the WDTC will start offering some great packages, like they did in the late 80s or early 90s to compensate for the unusual requirements.

I wouldn't mind paying upfront for an all-inclusive package with a good deal on food and entertainment.

And I know I will pay upfront for a Disney resort.

It just seems like a lot to ask of guests. Maybe I need to adjust my thinking. Staying at a Disney resort is like being on a cruise. And because the space is limited on a cruise, people do pay up front.

I just didn't realize that Disney was that booked to capacity year-round.

Wish they'd bring back those good packages to take the edge off having to pay upfront for your hotel room.

It was my impression that it's "unclear" how they will handle paying off room tabs or when. But the CRO I spoke with seemed to express that it would not be the 45 day plan that WDTC has now. So at this point I wouldn't be too worried. But maybe it's a good time as they're hashing out all the details to express your concerns in writing and send to the travel department at Disney- anyone have their address?
Tara

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter