March 29, 2013 8 Nights on the Magic

We randomly met friends from a previous Dis-Meet at the turnstyles of Magic Kingdom this summer. They were doing the Cruise Excursion, and told us that at that time, the last bus back was 10pm, even though the parks may be open later. May be different now. They did all four parks in one day, but that was literally during a hurricane and ultra-low season. They also regretted pushing so hard the next morning.

The buses start returning to the ship every 30 minutes starting at 3:30 from all the parks at the Bus Stop marked for the Cruise Ship. Look on the big board, just like you were going to the resort. Also easier to tell the cruise buses because they are painted the distinctive pattern.

:thumbsup2 This helps so much. In August, we left Epcot and saw the DCL bus there at around 9 PM. We weren't sure if it was the last bus or not.

TrixieM said:
Hi! Hope our DD's can connect!! My DD is a big pin trader and can't wait for the cruise! We've spent lots of time in downtown Greer. We miss Gerard's which closed soon after we moved to NC!

My sis lives in Atlanta so we get to GA about once a year.

My DD loves the pins but doesn't trade them much lol. A little shy with that. She doesn't quite know we are going on this one yet. I have another cruise booked for June and thinks when I talk about the cruise it's that one. The girls meeting up would be fun. If you pm me I can give you our email.

stsomewhere said:
We are driving from Michigan. Our plan was to leave right after school on Wed. My son, matt , 14 qualified for dual enrollment and has a college class that night from 7- 10 pm. We will leave later than I thought.

We are staying at country inn and suites in Galveston. We e booked reservations at port for parking.

Christi

I'm glad I'm not the only one driving! Michigan is a lot further a drive then Georgia. I looked at parking and hotels some today. I didn't see many cruise packages with parking. We may park at the port as well to save time. Park and cruise is sold out those days. Still unsure where to stay. We have never sailed from Galveston. Congrats to your son that is awesome. Does he go to high school during the day and then college at night?

How are you guys getting Easter baskets on board? My DS5 believes hook line and sinker in the EB and was so excited when I told him that of course EB would find him on the ship. I heard that they may or may not have an Easter Egg Hunt onboard. I will have to do plastic eggs in my cabin if they don't. Are you guys doing full on Easter outfits for Sunday?

Ever type a post and then realize you think in run-on sentences? LOL

I really do appreciate all the help. :sail:

You are totally right! MK opens at 7 am for resort guests and 8am for everyone. They've recently changed that, yeah?

That just means that by even by 8-9am MK will be pretty crowded and they must be expecting very large crowds that day.

Tourplans is showing:
Crowd Levels
Magic Kingdom 9.5
Epcot 8.8
Hollywood Studios 7.9
Animal Kingdom 9.2
Overall Crowds 10

Are you guys doing full on Easter outfits for Sunday?

Ohhh! hadn't thought of that. Thank you!! I can just picture DD's & St.Somewhere's new Easter Bonnet, and I may have to get a third lighter color suit. :groom: Now the hard part, convincing Christi.

Congrats to your son that is awesome. Does he go to high school during the day and then college at night?

He goes to high school during the day, and has one study hour for each college course. He could go to college during the day, but then would have to make up all the work, so easier to look for late afternoon / evening classes. Hoping he does well this semester, he wants to move up to University of Michigan for sophomore year if possible. Needs to do well before I will kick in the up-charge for that :scared:

How are you guys getting Easter baskets on board? My DS5 believes hook line and sinker in the EB and was so excited when I told him that of course EB would find him on the ship. I heard that they may or may not have an Easter Egg Hunt onboard. I will have to do plastic eggs in my cabin if they don't. Are you guys doing full on Easter outfits for Sunday?

I heard the Easter Bunny maybe in the FE...:rolleyes1

I probably won't do Easter outfits for Sunday because they will be off before noon when my kids want to go in the pool!;)

Trinity524 said:

You know there are 4 neighbors in the group here. Don't want to volunteer anyone to knock and run...

When we have sailed during Easter, I ordered a gift basket from Shirley. The basket was in the room when we boarded the ship. She even attached a note saying it was from the Easter Bunny! I also brought plastic eggs to hide in the room. :thumbsup2

I'm glad I'm not the only one driving! Michigan is a lot further a drive then Georgia. I looked at parking and hotels some today. I didn't see many cruise packages with parking. We may park at the port as well to save time. Park and cruise is sold out those days. Still unsure where to stay. We have never sailed from Galveston. Congrats to your son that is awesome. Does he go to high school during the day and then college at night?

Thanks for the congrats on our son. We are very proud. But, it embarrasses him. The state of Michigan just passed as law in Michigan allowing 9th graders to dual enroll. They need recommendation from school and pass college ACT compass test.
The first semester - students can take one class to get use to it. After that he can take two classes (up to 8 credits) per semester. He will get both high school and college credit. He could have 40- 50 college credits when he graduates high school. The best part is that the high school pays the tuition. We cover books and lab fees. So, he is a freshmen is high school and college. there are around 15 students in his HS that are dual enrolled. High school during regular school hours and college at night.

No easter baskets here. My kids are not into them. The do like going to an Easter egg hunt at Erik's parents. They put $1 bills in each egg. Plus, a special egg has more money in it.

When we have sailed during Easter, I ordered a gift basket from Shirley. The basket was in the room when we boarded the ship. She even attached a note saying it was from the Easter Bunny! I also brought plastic eggs to hide in the room. :thumbsup2

Who is Shirley? I was thinking of ordering whatever they offer from the in-room DCL stuff, but is this something better/cheaper? :-)

I have some decorations I was going to bring for the room. They have 2 different
church services on board, we were thinking of hitting one of them.

Who is Shirley? I was thinking of ordering whatever they offer from the in-room DCL stuff, but is this something better/cheaper? :-)

I have some decorations I was going to bring for the room. They have 2 different
church services on board, we were thinking of hitting one of them.

Shirley is only available when sailing out of port Canaveral. She owns her own shop and is approved for deliveries.

I foreshadowed a story on the food previously:

On one of our Disney cruises, I had occasion to speak with the restaurant manager and head chef. They let me know that DCL's goal is to serve freshly prepared, great tasting food that Americans like to eat.

They explained to me that DCL is very proud to have the lowest food waste possible, about 2%. I mentioned this later to a Scouting friend, and he was astounded commenting that his lifetime goal is to see his kitchen at the camp move down from 33% to 20% or less. The DCL guys explained to me that they get to 2%, including a 4 hour fridge to trash window. They do this by splitting the kitchens, one per restaurant plus an allergy clean room vs. a big cafeteria, and starting prep an hour before dinner (vs. 2 hrs) in a cooking challenge style. The goal is that each kitchen is preparing smaller volume and closer to serving time, so that your food comes out without sitting in the warmers for 40 minutes while other things are cooked. The other way they work is to study what American's are ordering, as we make up the vast majority of their clientele, and have identified the food we are most likely to order and not send back. Which is why there is no cream of venison soup or some of the other fru-fru things that you can see on other lines' menus. In my informal poll of everyone I know, this makes about 100% happy, except for me.

As a prior food critic for the Detroit News, I enjoy eating the interesting stuff, which is why I like to eat around the world at EPCOT. Strangest thing so far may be the candied squid from Japan. I consider most of the rest of the food there to be normal every day food. I was disappointed that DCL did not have all the fru-fru entrees, but now I understand, and I appreciate the effort they put forth in trying to make my food fresher and great tasting. I will look for the trio of emu, kangaroo, and crocodile on another line.

PS: that was a real plate from the Aussie Steakhouse in Stuttgart and they paired it with a caipiriniah :thumbsup2 (favorite mixed drink). It was not your typical Outback Steakhouse, that is for sure.

I just received this email from Disney. I was hoping for little more detail. But, it is a start.

Dear Christi,

Thank you for your interest in a Disney Cruise Line vacation!

I would be happy to assist you.

Dining attire varies by venue or theme night on your cruise. In general,
most meals are "Cruise Casual"-- jeans, khakis and capris are permitted;
however, we ask that Guests refrain from wearing shorts, swimwear or
tank tops in the dining rooms.(during dinner)

Below is the recommended attire for your cruise itinerary and is subject
to change:

On 8-night Bahamian cruises out of Galveston:
*Nights 1, 3, 4, 5, & 8: cruise casual
*Night 2: "formal night": formal wear for men: tuxedo or suit; for
women: gown or dress
*Night 6: pirate night with deck party: cruise casual or bring your
best pirate outfit!
*Night 7: "semi-formal night": semi-formal wear for men: suit/jacket;
for women: dress or pantsuit

These requirements are not mandatory for the rotational dining
restaurants on the ship; however, in order to re-create a classic and
memorable dining experience for you and all our Guests, we recommend the
attire schedule that is planned for your upcoming cruise.

The shows can be the following:

All Aboard: Let the Magic Begin!
Disney Dreams: An Enchanted Classic
Remember the Magic: A Final Farewell
Twice Charmed
Villains Tonight!

I hope I am doing this right!!

Is transportation provided from the ship? What parks are included? And is lunch included?

I am very interested in the VIP package!! There are 4 of us and we like the thrill rides, too.

Who would we pay and when?

I'd have to check with my husband first.

I too hope I am doing this right! This is only my second post...

I spoke to Bob with VIP tours and he said the guide can pick us up at the port or meet us inside the gate at our first park. The guide will take us to any park we want to during the 6 hours.

I think if the guide picks us up at port they will deduct the hour or so of travel but he said he would bring us back to port at no charge. But we may not want to go back that early. If we meet the guide inside the park, we would have to make sure we are on the same bus leaving the port at the same time. We can decide which option is better for us. As of right now my family has a reservation for the 7:15 bus to Hollywood Studios. I can change that if need be. Lunch is not included.

I tried to post a link to the tour description but I need 10 posts to do that. You can find it under Port Canaveral excursions.

I think you would have to pay me since the tour would be under my name. We can discuss further how we would do that! Oooh, I did not ask him when payment is due, that is very important! I will have to call back. He said we can cancel up to 2 days before we sail with no cancellation fee. If we cancel after Mar 26 at 5:00 pm there would be a 2 hour cancellation fee, approximately $600.

I hope this all makes sense! If you are still interested (and we find 2 more people!), we can discuss further over e-mail or phone. If we don't find two more and we still want to do it, it would be approx $222 per person, I would also have to get my husband to agree to the $222.

Let me know!!!:cheer2:

As for the hotel, we are staying at the Country Inn and Suites Galveston Beach. It is 1/4 Mile from the Galveston Historic Pleasure Pier. Hope you did not mistake my saying pier for the ship pier, sorry. According to Goggle Maps, the Tremont is about 2 - 3 blocks from the Cruise Pier.

To be clear, we are parking at the port. Here is their site Galveston Port Parking. According to the maps it is about 1/2 to 1 mile from the parking garage to the port facility. So there may be some transport involved, or a hike by the best runner in your family. The difference in distance is due to where you park specifically, and if you can cross the train tracks that terminate right there, and if we are at the near building or far building. Here is a map, and I will be checking the cruise reports of the soon to be returning first trip to see what they might be saying.

You know I did mistake it. I think all these hotels are next to each other... But I will look up Country Inn and Suites. The Tremont look very upscale and we don't really need that for an overnighter.

Ohhh! hadn't thought of that. Thank you!! I can just picture DD's & St.Somewhere's new Easter Bonnet, and I may have to get a third lighter color suit. :groom: Now the hard part, convincing Christi.

I'd love to see some bonnets. I am lucky if I can get a tie on DS. Formal night comes with threats of death and it only works through pictures. :)

I heard the Easter Bunny maybe in the FE...:rolleyes1

I probably won't do Easter outfits for Sunday because they will be off before noon when my kids want to go in the pool!;)

:thumbsup2

You know there are 4 neighbors in the group here. Don't want to volunteer anyone to knock and run...

You can knock and run if you leave a :mickeybar :)

We normally order a basket from Shirley out of Port Canaveral. I will contact her to see if she has a person in Galveston that she recommends.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter