March 2013 Car rentals

I am hoping someone will be willing to help me! We have rented cars several times to go to Disney and the boards here have been very helpful. This year we decided to go on a cruise out of Jacksonville, Fl. We would like to rent a smaller type car from March 15-March 22, but I have been checking prices and the cheapest I can find is around $220. Picking up and dropping back off in Birmingham, Al. We have only rented from National in the past but their rates were terrible for this trip? Anyone willing to see if they can come up with a better rate??? Thank you!

Maybe I am missing something but why don't you rent from Birmingham to Jacksonville. Return car and then do the same on the way back. Why would you pay for the car while on the cruise? Pay for parking on a rental car?

Just a though. I did this before when I went on a cruise I rented a car for 1 day, picked up at airport and then dropped off at the port. Then did the same on the way back. With codes, etc. It was about $30 per day.
Hope this helps.
Jordan

I was going to suggest the same thing, if you could rent, drive, drop off, cruise, rent, drive and drop off. Might be worth looking into. We did that last year when taking a cruise. I don't know what kind of car rental options there are near the Jacksonville port, but I think there's something near all the major ports. We flew into Ft. Lauderdale, picked up a car and drove to a friend's house for the night. The next morning, we drove to Miami, dropped off the car and then took a quick cab ride to the port. Did the reverse when the ship got back. It worked out great, and the car was only about $50 for each rental, including all taxes and fees. So, for $50 each way, then maybe $25 each way for the taxi, $150 total was a lot better than the $300+ weekly rentals that were out there, not to mention the cost of parking the car for the week.

I was going to suggest the same thing, if you could rent, drive, drop off, cruise, rent, drive and drop off. Might be worth looking into. We did that last year when taking a cruise. I don't know what kind of car rental options there are near the Jacksonville port, but I think there's something near all the major ports. We flew into Ft. Lauderdale, picked up a car and drove to a friend's house for the night. The next morning, we drove to Miami, dropped off the car and then took a quick cab ride to the port. Did the reverse when the ship got back. It worked out great, and the car was only about $50 for each rental, including all taxes and fees. So, for $50 each way, then maybe $25 each way for the taxi, $150 total was a lot better than the $300+ weekly rentals that were out there, not to mention the cost of parking the car for the week.

Thanks for the advice! I did think about this, but we will need the car overnight March 15th and would have to return it to the airport the next morning and then get to the port. There are no car rental places at the cruise port. Same thing when we get of the boat, we would have to call a car rental co. to come back- the port suggests Avis, Hertz or Budget. When I did enter the dates going one way they there and then one way back they were about as much together as renting for the week

From Flyer Talk I found National Contract id #xz45uaf. Total is $254 for 3/21-29. This is the best I've found.

My only question is this a University of Alaska Fairbanks code. It's easily found on google. Can anyone use it?

Hmm.......
I booked this for the car care center.....
then found out there is NO emerald aisle so Im just gonna hope no issue, as the reservation did NOT say a coupon was needed, just said who the id was...
was hoping to go straight to the emerald aisle avoiding the counter, but does not look that way...regardless....
Will let you all know...

From Flyer Talk I found National Contract id #xz45uaf. Total is $254 for 3/21-29. This is the best I've found.

My only question is this a University of Alaska Fairbanks code. It's easily found on google. Can anyone use it?

Huh. I hope so. Because my dates are almost the same, 3/21 - 3/30, and using that code comes out a good $60 cheaper than the best price I have so far. Maybe I'll give them a call this week and ask, if nothing else better comes along first.

Hmm.......
I booked this for the car care center.....
then found out there is NO emerald aisle so Im just gonna hope no issue, as the reservation did NOT say a coupon was needed, just said who the id was...
was hoping to go straight to the emerald aisle avoiding the counter, but does not look that way...regardless....
Will let you all know...

found out that some serious legal issues with using a code that does not actually apply to you, heaven forbid an accident or even a dent or scratch....
IF you go to flyertalk, they list ALL codes and discounts for national (thread, page 1)
I was able to snag an actual id that applies to me, and a national code and that great savings I had earlier is only 20. less....for the piece of mind etc, so worth it.
So, take a peek and see if it helps you, calling to ask if one can use a code that you dont qualify for, will flag your rental..
Good Luck!!

found out that some serious legal issues with using a code that does not actually apply to you, heaven forbid an accident or even a dent or scratch....
Not only that. but you may be asked to show some ID to prove that you are an employee of XYZ Corp (or ABC University) and when you can't provide it your great rate may balloon up to the walk-up rate. I am very hesitant to use what I call "hinky codes" not because I'm a goody-two-shoes but that it would be my luck that I would be the one who would get caught :lmao:.

I am hoping someone will be willing to help me! We have rented cars several times to go to Disney and the boards here have been very helpful. This year we decided to go on a cruise out of Jacksonville, Fl. We would like to rent a smaller type car from March 15-March 22, but I have been checking prices and the cheapest I can find is around $220. Picking up and dropping back off in Birmingham, Al. We have only rented from National in the past but their rates were terrible for this trip? Anyone willing to see if they can come up with a better rate??? Thank you!

From Birmhingham airport using the Visa code from Mousesavers (which I am using this weekend) for Avis - compact is $198 all taxes incl, plus they let your spouse drive for free without actually adding any info to the contract. You just have to pay with your Visa for the rental. It might go down as it gets closer.

•Use your Visa card and get 30% off rentals at Avis. Use AWD# S333701 (no physical coupon required). Get an additional $25 off weekly rentals with coupon code MUWA140 (no physical coupon required). Offer applies to one day free of time and mileage charges only on a minimum five consecutive day rental period on an Intermediate (group C) through a Fullsize 4-door (group E) car. A Saturday night keep is required. Rental must begin by 4/15/13.

Not only that. but you may be asked to show some ID to prove that you are an employee of XYZ Corp (or ABC University) and when you can't provide it your great rate may balloon up to the walk-up rate. I am very hesitant to use what I call "hinky codes" not because I'm a goody-two-shoes but that it would be my luck that I would be the one who would get caught :lmao:.

I completely agree with this. I absolutely agree with looking for codes that are legitimate to use and to aggressively keep checking for better rates. However, as I've said before, you really need to be able to backup or document any code or coupon you use.

It doesn't always happen, but you may be asked to show proof of membership, especially for corporate codes. I've seen posts here how people find codes that include insurance. If you use one of those and get in an accident, you're really in trouble.

And what Robin mentions about getting a walk-up code if you can't provide documentation is true, even if it is a rare occurrence. And walk-up rates aren't pretty. Be vigilant finding good rates, but don't try to cheat the system.

Wow, the rates for starting Friday night (3/8) are seriously going the wrong way. If I booked now, it would be about triple what I snagged last week. Not surprising since I'm inside a week. Only hope left is for a last minute rate; they're still showing pickup by today, so maybe that'll change tomorrow. Haven't had much luck with last minute rates in Orlando; but ya never know.

Edited this to say I'm seeing some good rates from Advantage, but I just don't think I want to go there.

Yes they are although earlier today I checked Enterprise and they are still showing the same price I got last week. I was hoping to go another $20 lower but that isn't looking likely. I suspect given the higher rates over the last four days is reason enough to say the spring break season is in full force.

Wow, the rates for starting Friday night (3/8) are seriously going the wrong way. If I booked now, it would be about triple what I snagged last week. Not surprising since I'm inside a week. Only hope left is for a last minute rate; they're still showing pickup by today, so maybe that'll change tomorrow. Haven't had much luck with last minute rates in Orlando; but ya never know.

Edited this to say I'm seeing some good rates from Advantage, but I just don't think I want to go there.

I am NOT at all sure how it happened, but last night I was able to get an economy car with Alamo for dates 3/15 (12:30am pick up) return 3/21 at 6am for MCO... $103.26 total!

Used Costco code: 7014627 * I am a member!*
Coupon code: AD2338fdf *$30 off* on line coupon.

I hope this helps someone else. I was SHOCKED as they had been running $350 and I had a ressie with Budget for $276 that I happily cancelled.

Kris

I am NOT at all sure how it happened, but last night I was able to get an economy car with Alamo for dates 3/15 (12:30am pick up) return 3/21 at 6am for MCO... $103.26 total!

I hope this helps someone else. I was SHOCKED as they had been running $350 and I had a ressie with Budget for $276 that I happily cancelled.

Kris

Great deal. Today it is up to $250 and the coupon cant be used. I currently have $175 ut will keep looking.

Kris
Lucky dog! It's back up again :scared1:.

Kris

Congrats! You're getting right into that 7-10 dayish window where good things can happen. Those were almost my exact dates last year and I saw it a little less than that, so keep looking, at least until this weekend.

Thanks everyone for the heads up on using a code that I really can't prove I'm eligible for. I'll just stick with my Budget rate. Hoping it comes down in the next 17 days...;)

I just got the first week reservation (for 3/21 11am to 3/27 5 pm) under $400 by using BJ's code BJ5013 with Dollar. Base rate was $190 and it was $259.73 all in for a Ford Fusion or similar Standard size.

I'll keep working on other options, but this is the first cheaper rate for my dates since we decided to book a quick trip during the JetBlue sale a few weeks back.

Rates have come back down again on several car rental places. I still have Enterprise at the lowest (that I reserved) but interestingly they have gone up while others have come down. I would like to go via Alamo but they still aren't lower than what I reserved with Enterprise.

Rates have come back down again on several car rental places. I still have Enterprise at the lowest (that I reserved) but interestingly they have gone up while others have come down. I would like to go via Alamo but they still aren't lower than what I reserved with Enterprise.

Yeah, the rates for late this week are really bouncing around. They're considerably better than what I saw yesterday at this time, but still quite a bit higher than what I have. I do see that the last minute rate for Alamo (contract ID: IG) now works (up to this morning you had to pick up by March 4), but it doesn't have an effect on the rate. Could be we might see some IG rates loaded in later today, but with spring break starting, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't for Orlando.

Yes they are going up again today. For MCO Hertz site indicates Economy and Compact are unavailable. Enterprise rates have shot up quite a bit as have others. Dollar and Alamo are near where I held my first reservation. Man I thought stocks had volatility but these rental rates have more wild swings!

Yeah, the rates for late this week are really bouncing around. They're considerably better than what I saw yesterday at this time, but still quite a bit higher than what I have. I do see that the last minute rate for Alamo (contract ID: IG) now works (up to this morning you had to pick up by March 4), but it doesn't have an effect on the rate. Could be we might see some IG rates loaded in later today, but with spring break starting, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't for Orlando.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter