Marathon Weekend Weather

Thanks - I don't think I want those kind of gloves - I think now I remember seeing them last year and I don't want that. Might have to just break down and stop by Sports Authority or something like that - I do have a gift card for SA so that would work if they have something. I won't bother waiting for the expo then.

Hi! I think I remember from another race that we live in the same area. :wave2: Last year I got gloves at Deals where the Rag Shop used to be- they were way in the back by some baby clothes in a bin on the bottom shelf. Today I got some cheapies at Target in Deerfield- 2 pairs for $1 by the scarfs and socks. They didn't have a ton left, but if you're going to SA maybe check Delray Target first- I saw them there yesterday.

I'm going to SA tonight or tomorrow to get hand warmers. I remember seeing them there last week and thinking how strange that they would carry then in FL - who knew I would need them now?!

Thanks Amy - yes we are in the same area. I might have to stop the Delray Target on the way home tonight. I am thinking cheap knit gloves (maybe 2 pair - since I will need them both Sat and Sun) and some mens tube socks for my arms - might even work on the legs. Don't see spending lots of $ on the cold weather gear since I won't get much use out it the rest of the year (I am elated when I can wear my long sleeve tech shirts - and I only have 2 of them)

OK now I read that back it does sound like i will be running naked!!! :lmao: I meant to say I would remove my throwaway pants so I would just be running in my shorts, does that sounds better :confused3:rotfl: And nowmy family is looking at me funny because I cant stop giggling :rotfl:

I got 2 pairs of gloves for $1.50 at target, I am going back to get some more.

Kirsty

I got 2 pairs of gloves for $1.50 at target, I am going back to get some more.

I got those same 2 for $1.50 gloves at Target, but I'll only need one pair, so if anyone wants them they're yours! I'll bring them with me to the Pop meet if no one claims them here.

I got those same 2 for $1.50 gloves at Target, but I'll only need one pair, so if anyone wants them they're yours! I'll bring them with me to the Pop meet if no one claims them here.

I got those too - and in packing I found the 2nd pair from '08 run (they are mittens!) :rotfl2:

However, from the weather report I think I'm keeping my 2nd pair for park touring! I hear its cold at night! :confused3

After months of training and planning I am trying very, very hard to be cheerful about this :rolleyes:, but I HATE the cold! I really do. I pretty much feel chilled here in Philly all the time from November through March, and I was so looking forward to a break from this.

To further add to this, my 11-year-old had a total upset freak-out yesterday because we are "making" her go to Disney and she'll be missing school and dance classes :confused3 (in her defense she was not feeling well, and very tired, but still . . . !). This has just left me feeling upset about the whole trip.

Well, at least I have practice with running in the cold! And there won't be any snow on the ground like there was for my long run a few weeks ago (where I ran in ski tracks)! And we'll be at Disney! And best of all I get to see all of you!

But, boy would I love for that front to stay to the North, and have temps of 40s to start.
You are not alone Kira. I hate cold weather too. I tell everyone that me feet get cold in October and stay that way until April! And to make matters worse, I didn't train in the cold. I had heard horror stories of people that did that and then weren't prepared for the warmer FL weather, so I trained from mid November on the indoor track at our gym. I'm going to be an ice cube!:cold:

OK, I know this is probably listed somewhere and I'll get clobbered for asking this, but when and where is the Pop meet?? I'm staying at the Pop and I'd like to do this. Believe me when I say I searched for this....

And this weather just sucks. I didn't see where it may be raining, but that would make matters all the more worser for a slow, heavy, balding guy like me. Dadgum!!

Wish meet at the Pop food court at 4:30 and Donald meet at 4:00 outside Pop shop.

Thank goodness we are on Southwest "bags fly free." With 3 of us running a combined 5 races, I just packed an entire suitcase full of throw away clothes and blankets.

I grew up in a freaking ice rink. I've spent the majority of my life either in Cleveland or Alaska. I like cold, but I am soooo dreading pre-race.

You are not alone Kira. I hate cold weather too. I tell everyone that me feet get cold in October and stay that way until April! And to make matters worse, I didn't train in the cold. I had heard horror stories of people that did that and then weren't prepared for the warmer FL weather, so I trained from mid November on the indoor track at our gym. I'm going to be an ice cube!:cold:

A fellow Hoosier here (NW IN tho) I like that the seasons change... :goodvibes

Thank goodness we are on Southwest "bags fly free." With 3 of us running a combined 5 races, I just packed an entire suitcase full of throw away clothes and blankets.

I grew up in a freaking ice rink. I've spent the majority of my life either in Cleveland or Alaska. I like cold, but I am soooo dreading pre-race.

I hear that too - both my boys played hockey - 1 year ds played in a WI outdoor hockey rink - it was BELOW zero... dh and I just couldnt sit inside if our ds was outside - we climbed on the bleachers to yell and cheer...

but we're going to FLORIDA! Not a hockey rink in Wisconsin!! :rotfl2:

All we need here is a sign: "Welcome to Cleveland. All the weather of Alaska without any of the natural beauty or oil". :rotfl:

To be fair outside of the city we have some natural beauty, but there is no way we can compare. The question is though, did you go from Cleveland to Alaska or the other way around.

Weather.com : Friday High 58* Low 35* Rain 40%

Sat High 48* Low 29* Rain 30%

Sun High 51* Low 31* Rain 0%

Accuweather.com Friday: High: 52 °F RealFeel®: 44 °F
Cloudy; rainy times, windy and colder.

Friday night: Low: 32 °F RealFeel®: 18 °F
Cloudy and colder

Sat: High: 52 °F RealFeel®: 44 °F
Breezy and cold with intervals of clouds and sunshine

Sat night: Low: 27 °F RealFeel®: 14 °F
Mostly cloudy and cold with the temperature approaching the record low of 26 set in 1970

Sun: High: 53 °F RealFeel®: 47 °F
Breezy and cold with periods of clouds and sunshine

Here is National Weather Service:

Friday: A 30 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 53. Northwest wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Friday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 33. Northwest wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 52. Northwest wind around 10 mph.

Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 26. Northwest wind around 10 mph.

Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 57. Northwest wind between 10 and 15 mph.

This is just totally crazy!Arrghh!

I do WISH that this means on Sunday afternoon that we will all be displaying our medals with successful events since we don't have the heat to slow us down.

This is just totally crazy!Arrghh!

I do WISH that this means on Sunday afternoon that we will all be displaying our medals with successful events since we don't have the heat to slow us down.

Everyone has to remember to rehydrate during the race because it is easy to forget with the cold. The old ultra saying is eat before you are hungry and drink before you are thirsty.

On the Goofy thread I popped in in Early December and posted about a 30-day forecast that I have access to that noted dry and colder than normal temps. Little did I imagine what colder then normal meant but the forecat was accurate.

Forecasts are fairly consistent this morning. One reason for putting the discussion in is that you can get a feel for what the NWS is thinking rather than what they put on the forecast. You can read about their uncertainties (This is what you should read if you live in hurricane affected areas….it will give you an insight into the prediction and whether you should head for higher ground) Look for the temps on Saturday morning to possibly moderate upward a few degress but that a chance of rain may pop back up Saturday morning.

Folks have asked about start and finish temps Here is an hourly prediction for Saturday
6AM 32
7AM 32
8AM 34
9AM 37
10AM 39

Sunday
6AM 30
7AM 30
8AM 33
9AM 35
10AM 38
11AM 40
12AM 43
1PM 45

NWS
5k Start – 42F – Hi 56F – 30% Chance - NE Wind
Half Start – 31F – Hi 53F – NE Wind @ 5
Full Start – 31F – Hi 52F – NW Wind @ 5

NWS Discussion
Discussion...

Thu-Sat...brief/modest warm-up Thursday as light southerly component develops well ahead of approaching frontal trough. Maximum temperatures Thursday forecast to top 60f across most of County Warning Area...for first time in 6 days...but still remaining nearly 10 degree below normal for early January. Mins Thursday night/Friday morning likely to remain above freezing...but some areas of frost expected in wind protected areas...with greatest chance inland south of Orlando to near Lake Okeechobee. Band of clouds and scattered showers will accompany frontal trough as it drops through County Warning Area Friday-Friday night. Clouds and small shower chance may linger across southern County Warning Area into Sat. European model (ecmwf) much slower with timing/movement of cloud/precipitation band compared to GFS...lingering well into Sat across much of County Warning Area...but not confident enough to commit to such a change at this time. Clouds and wind shift will cause temperatures to lower again Friday/Friday night with freezing temperatures likely across North County warning area early Sat and possible for central/South County warning area away from coast. If clouds/precipitation clear southern areas overnight Friday...southern areas could also experience
freezing temperatures. Later/slower movement of frontal trough would allow
many central/southern areas to remain above 32 Sat morning.

Sat night-Tue...strong shortwave trough reinforces full latitude longwave trough over eastern Gulf/Florida well south to Yucatan and Cuba. Pattern allows another strong Artic surface high to drop south from the plains to Texas...then eventually expanding into the southeast states. Very strong cold/dry advection will again work down the peninsula with a large portion of County Warning Area having potential to fall below freezing sun and Monday mornings with daytime highs sun remaining in the 50s (maybe even some upper 40s north cwa). Warming trend commences early next week as low level flow finally begins to veer to NE/east and temperature/moisture recovery begins. That said...middle to upper 60 maximums Tuesday still near 5 degrees below normal.

Weather Channel

5k Start – 41F – Hi 52F – 40% chance
Half Start – 30F -- Hi 45F – NW Wind @13
Full Start - 28F – Hi 48F – NW Wind @9

Accuweather
5k Start 43F - Feel Real 32F – Hi 54F (chance of shwr) – NW Wind @15
Half Start 32F - Feel Real 21F - - Hi 52F – Cloudy - NW @14
Full Start 30F- Feel Real 11F -- Hi 50F – Cloudy – NW @ 14

Intellicast
5k Start – 41F – Hi 63F - 40% chance - Wind W@13
Half Start – 31F - Hi 47F - Wind NW @ 12
Full Start – 28F – Hi 49F- Wind NW @ 12

As a statistical point the weather service averages are low 50F and hi 71F. Averages since I have been attending (1999) Low 48 and Hi 72

Thanks charles! I hope I am set I couldn't get anymore into the bag lol.

Safe travels everyone!

Thank you Charles! Have good travels and hope to meet you there! :)

I've got UA gear for top and bottom, ear band, two pairs of the Target stretchy gloves (I'm going to double them up), 4 hand warmers, toss away pants and sweatshirt, and a Coleman Emergency Blanket I happened to see at Target yesterday. Thinking about what else I can fit in my carry on...

Dear Weather Gods,

Despite my initial protests, I have resigned myself to cold temperatures. I have prepared to look like a bag lady at the start of the marathon, and purchased enough throw-away clothing to fill a suitcase. My family is mentally prepared to tour parks in our parkas and gloves.

But could we please, please not have 14-mile winds for the full!

Thank you!

Respectfully,

Kira

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter