Marathon Weekend 2024

2024 will be the earliest that MW can be held. For 2025, it should shift back to January 8-12.
I was wondering what they might do for 2025. I’m not a RunDisney participant yet, still trying to convince the hubby to go. Would love to do a dopey in 2024 (I’ll be 40 next year in September). But I’m hoping I can make in 2025.

2024 will be the earliest that MW can be held. For 2025, it should shift back to January 8-12.
If that’s the case may be tempted to do 2025….

SAFD:
I’ve done
1 MW 10k
7 W&D weekends all of them did 10ks (three with 5K as well)
1 Dark Side weekend 5K & 10K
1 Springtime Surprise 5K

In for Springtime Challenge this April and 🤞🏻 I’ll get in for Wine & Dine (already have room booked)

I am doing the "perfect" runDisney season this year. So I did Wine & Dine, Marathon Weekend, will be at Princess and Springtime.

I have done Marathon Weekend the most and it is by far my favorite. This will be my first (and maybe only) Princess. I do really enjoy Wine & Dine. Springtime is still in its infancy so its hard to gauge that one yet. Even tho they say they aren't I am hoping they do perfects for that when it comes to five years. I plan to stick it out until then.

SAFD:
Marathon Weekend is my favorite, and I have ran something during 7 weekends. I have ran W&D a couple of times - one being the half of half, but I was glad I was able to run through the Osborne Lights. I ran PW last year for the first time. It had never really interested me too much, because I'm just not a 'princess-y' type person, but I had a great time and really enjoyed it. I will probably occasionally run W&D and Princess, but my other runDisney race weekend will probably be whatever is ran in March/April. I ran all four SW Dark Side races. I like and enjoy SW, but I would not say I am a super fan; however, I thought these races were great and a lot of fun. I'm hoping Springtime Surprise ends up being as fun as SW. I feel like PW and W&D end up a little too close to MW for me to justify going more often, which is why the spring races work better for me.

SAFD: I've done 7 Marathon Weekend, 2 DLH weekends, 1 SWDS and 1 W&D. Marathon Weekend is, by far, me favorite. It comes at a great time of year for me and I love the longer challenges. If the theme of one of the other weekends appeals to me, I'm happy to run it, but the distances and classic consistency of theming keep me coming back to Marathon Weekend. It's such a nice way to close out the holidays seeing friends from all over while running at Disney.

SAFD: So far I have only done PW 2022 (10k) and MW 2023 (Dopey). I am doing PW 2023 (10k again) since it has become a bit of a tradition to do that with my best friend. But the scale of Marathon Weekend us unbeatable, obviously my experience is limited but it felt like a big race weekend with a side of Disney, which is what I wanted. I LOVE the energy of a marathon expo and combined with Disney was just all I could have asked for. I for one prefer the earlier timing overlapping with New Year's so I can take one less day off of work. Plus it just feels like an extension of the holidays rather than taking off time for the holidays and coming back to work and then taking a bunch of time off again. Mid-Jan through mid Feb are the busiest weeks of the year with my job, so I was able to mostly take off the week without missing much. For MW 2025 and beyond I think I would have to "just" do Goofy/Marathon given the later timing to avoid missing work. Or maybe take the opportunity to try a different weekend, though since I hate the heat, MW is definitely the best chance of tolerable running weather for me!

SAFD: I've done MW 6 times and Princess twice. I'd like to try W&D once, but then I'd have to skip a MW and I'm not sure I want to do that. SS I probably won't do because of the Florida weather, although it's great training weather for me. As others have said, I really like the vibe of MW. It's just so fun and feels like it's all about running. I did not enjoy Princess as a solo runner. I felt really left out. I don't feel that way as a solo at MW. Princess also usually falls at the end of a school break week for me and since I like to do my running weekends solo that timing doesn't really make sense anymore.

Last week's SAFD: My initial plan was for the rest of January to be my "off-season," focusing on cross-training/walking as recovery, before starting to ramp back up for the Springtime Surprise challenge. And then going into Marathon Weekend, I was like "maybe I'll do some light running." Then after MW, I got grounded by my PT so I was back to Plan A without the walking. I just got cleared to do some minimal (10-15 minutes) running and limited walking two weeks ago. I have another appointment tomorrow and am really hoping that I will get cleared to run again. I have not been doing well with the enforced rest.

This week's SAFD: I've done runs at 3 Marathon Weekends, one Princess challenge and one Wine and Dine challenge. (And I'm doing my first Springtime Surprise this year). I like MW the best by far. It is the biggest running party out there and the support of the crowds and the other runners is just amazing. The other weekends are just missing that vibe for me. I also like MW because I can get the bulk of the training in outside. Yes, we might have snow in December, but it's usually here and then gone so as long as I have some flexibility in my calendar, I can usually get the long runs in outside. For Princess, so much is done inside on the track and that gets very old, very fast. The weather for the Wine and Dine races this year was miserable. I am NOT a fan of running in hot and/or humid weather.

I'm hoping to get registered for the DL races on Tuesday, which means skipping MW and the thought is killing me. MW doesn't work for me in 2024 for a whole bunch of reasons (non-negotiable work commitments on the front end and my mom's 70th birthday the Saturday of MW), but I keep thinking "maybe there's some way to make it work." My FOMO is real!

SAFD: I have participated in 2 W&D, 1 PW, 1 Dark side, and 1 MW. I enjoyed them all for different reasons, but I also think MW was my favorite. The runner centered atmosphere makes the whole weekend feel like a celebration of running. The spectators are also great. W&D usually falls at a good time for me and I will likely do it again this year. I enjoyed PW more than I thought I would. I'm not a princessey person but I didn't find it to be over the top or annoying. It's just a different type of weekend. I may never get to do SS because it falls on the weekend before a huge conference and it is so hard to get time off because so many people are at the conference.

SAFD: I have only done on runDisney race weekend, which was MW last month. So, obviously MW is my favorite. Lol.

I am really hoping to do W&D this year to experience a different runDisney race weekend, so fingers crossed for registration day. The after party sounds like so much fun, especially since it's included in the price of the race registration. But, MW weekend is a must for me next year. Gotta get that Dopey monkey off of my back!

SAFD:
This "ahhh, it is my people" is a big draw for me as well. That's why MW will always be my favorite. That, and the marathon distance.
^ this.

I’ve done MWx4 and that’s it, though I’m signed up for DL half. Part of me wants to just like it and not love it because of the expense- I really can’t make it a regular thing 😬 My priority will always be MW, though it’s been fascinating to hear the comparisons of the other weekends. When I win the lottery I will do them all!

SAFD: It's interesting to hear the differences between the races! As someone who's new to Disney races and has only done MW 2023, I wouldn't have expected that. I'm hoping to do both MW and PW next year, so I'm curious to see how my own experiences differ between them - and curious to see if I still notice a difference not staying or spending a lot of time on property.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter