Marathon Weekend 2020

Things are selling out fast this year!

Still on the fence about what to run...probably marathon. But if marathon sells out before I register, I'll do Goofy.

Things are selling out fast this year!

Still on the fence about what to run...probably marathon. But if marathon sells out before I register, I'll do Goofy.
I can't see the marathon selling out. It never does even during big anniversary years which this isn't.

Perhaps Star Wars is driving the faster sellouts this year? Thinking here that many runners would also be interested in checking out Galaxy's Edge, and why not kill two birds with one stone and do it during marathon weekend?

So my husband goes by his middle name, so his bib always has his first name on it instead of the name he is actually called! Is there a way to address this on the registration? I have never seen it as an option, but thought someone may have a different strategy. I know it has to match his license, though

I go by my middle name, and always just registered with that. At bib pickup I’ve not had a problem, since my drivers license has my full name. Have gotten light hearted ribbing from the volunteers, but it was all in fun

That was my most frustrating marathon weekend registration ever. Finally got in an hour past registration opening, and then couldn’t complete the form because I didn’t have the option to select a shirt size on mobile. I had to call my boyfriend to register me after he finished his own.

The shirt thing was weird. I had to select women’s then select men’s large from the second drop down, and then I was able to go back and select men’s.

If I selected men’s first, there were no size options

I don't see why they would do that as Dopey didn't sell out in 2019 but stranger things have happened.

Well this is probably conspiracy theorist of me, but I wouldn't put it past them to manipulate how many spots they open initially to try and drive people to the more expensive races or to TAs. I think some TAs got burned last year with bibs not selling and then they had to steeply discount them. Create a false limited commodity mindset to get people to commit sooner and for full price or drive them to TAs. I thought it strange how some of these shorter races opened up only a short time later during W&D registration. No bundles to open up later, so how suddenly were there 5K and 10K bibs available later?

So my wife signed up for the 2020 half and I'm deciding if my knee can take a half. Resort wise are there benefits to which resort you stay at or are they all pretty much good at getting you to the start and back? Thanks.

Well this is probably conspiracy theorist of me, but I wouldn't put it past them to manipulate how many spots they open initially to try and drive people to the more expensive races or to TAs. I think some TAs got burned last year with bibs not selling and then they had to steeply discount them. Create a false limited commodity mindset to get people to commit sooner and for full price or drive them to TAs. I thought it strange how some of these shorter races opened up only a short time later during W&D registration. No bundles to open up later, so how suddenly were there 5K and 10K bibs available later?
I'm with ya - I find ti suspicious, too. We know how Disney plays fast and loose with things, lol!

So my wife signed up for the 2020 half and I'm deciding if my knee can take a half. Resort wise are there benefits to which resort you stay at or are they all pretty much good at getting you to the start and back? Thanks.
All will get you to the start line and back, so it's really just a matter of what fits your budget and what you like in a resort.

I can't see the marathon selling out. It never does even during big anniversary years which this isn't.

I know. I registered for the 20th anniversary in July, and I registered for the 25th in either July or August.

I just needed a contingency plan. :P

And perhaps an excuse because I want to run Goofy, but I want to have a nice relaxing vacation as well...

So my husband goes by his middle name, so his bib always has his first name on it instead of the name he is actually called! Is there a way to address this on the registration? I have never seen it as an option, but thought someone may have a different strategy. I know it has to match his license, though

When you first register, you have to enter the name that you want to show on the bib as the registrant. Just remember that if you're paying with a credit card with his name on it, you have to go into the payment screen and correct the name because it auto-populates from the registration name. My first name is "Kenneth" but I go by "Kenn", so I have done this for every Disney race that I've ever run and have never had an issue with picking up the bib. I don't see why it would be any different using a middle name instead of first name as long as the middle name is on the ID used to pick the bib up.

When you first register, you have to enter the name that you want to show on the bib as the registrant. Just remember that if you're paying with a credit card with his name on it, you have to go into the payment screen and correct the name because it auto-populates from the registration name. My first name is "Kenneth" but I go by "Kenn", so I have done this for every Disney race that I've ever run and have never had an issue with picking up the bib. I don't see why it would be any different using a middle name instead of first name as long as the middle name is on the ID used to pick the bib up.
I would add to this to be careful with POT. The names have to be the same at least in part.

I would add to this to be careful with POT. The names have to be the same at least in part.

This is a good point and one I should have mentioned. I run all my local races under my nickname, so proof of time would actually be harder to explain if I registered at Disney with my full name!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter