Marathon Weekend 2020

Easiest choice of the tournament so far. Haunted Mansion hands down.

I’ve run every rD race weekend I’ve done solo. I just don’t have many friends that run and those that do are either way faster or slower than I am. And they don’t run Disney. Or maybe I just don’t have that many friends! :) Running is intensely personal for me and I don’t want to have to slow my pace for others or feel like I’m preventing someone from running their best race in order to slow down for me. So solo just works for me.

Thanks guys! The first marathon wasn't so boring because I never knew what was next. Last year's would have been boring except I made a friend to stick it out with at around mile 7. If I was just doing Goofy I might be fine running solo, but 4 mornings alone can get OLD.
2 mornings running solo is okay but 4 mornings alone is too much? Try 365 mornings alone a year and welcome to my world. :confused3 Either I do things alone, or I don’t do them at all. I’m sure this is not what you meant, but just think about how your words might be “heard” by others with different circumstances. Just my two cents...

2 mornings running solo is okay but 4 mornings alone is too much? Try 365 mornings alone a year and welcome to my world. :confused3 Either I do things alone, or I don’t do them at all. I’m sure this is not what you meant, but just think about how your words might be “heard” by others with different circumstances. Just my two cents...

Certainly didn't intend to turn this into anything other than talking about running 4 races in a row and getting a little bored.

Certainly didn't intend to turn this into anything other than talking about running 4 races in a row and getting a little bored.

I struggle with this. I train solo and that’s generally how I prefer to run my races so I can go at my own pace and not worry about anyone else. At the same time, I’m jealous of people with running buddies (especially those found on these boards) because my race will never be a shared experience. There’s something very communal about running long distances with someone and, oddly enough, it’s possible to feel alone surrounded by thousands of other runners.

Ultimately, I put it in the same category as pace, race strategy, etc. now matter how you get to the finish line, we all have something to be proud of.

I struggle with this. I train solo and that’s generally how I prefer to run my races so I can go at my own pace and not worry about anyone else. At the same time, I’m jealous of people with running buddies (especially those found on these boards) because my race will never be a shared experience. There’s something very communal about running long distances with someone and, oddly enough, it’s possible to feel alone surrounded by thousands of other runners.

Ultimately, I put it in the same category as pace, race strategy, etc. now matter how you get to the finish line, we all have something to be proud of.

SAME. 100%

I do my long runs with the same group of guys that I run races with. In general unless someone is going for a specific time we run together. At this point everyone has had a bad race so no one seems to have problem with slowing pace if someone is hurting. We train together so we like to finish together. The only exception is if someone wants to be left behind because they feel like just having the group around them is causing them to push themselves harder than they can take.

Running is a group is fine but you have to decide up front how you are going to handle it if someone is hurting or having an off day. I ran my 2nd WDW Marathon with a buddy. He was hurting towards the end and told me to go on without him. I wound up splitting off from him near Mexico in WS. I have always regretted that. Cutting a few minutes off my time is meaningless, and we didn’t get to finish together.

I do my long runs with the same group of guys that I run races with. In general unless someone is going for a specific time we run together. At this point everyone has had a bad race so no one seems to have problem with slowing pace if someone is hurting. We train together so we like to finish together. The only exception is if someone wants to be left behind because they feel like just having the group around them is causing them to push themselves harder than they can take.

Running is a group is fine but you have to decide up front how you are going to handle it if someone is hurting or having an off day. I ran my 2nd WDW Marathon with a buddy. He was hurting towards the end and told me to go on without him. I wound up splitting off from him near Mexico in WS. I have always regretted that. Cutting a few minutes off my time is meaningless, and we didn’t get to finish together.

This becomes quite important if you're trying for a certain time or the race you're in has a hard cutoff time. We trained as a group for Comrades, and had to leave someone behind along the way because we knew we wouldn't finish if we stayed together. A difficult decision I'm glad we agreed upon in advance.

Running is a group is fine but you have to decide up front how you are going to handle it if someone is hurting or having an off day.
Truth! And I'll add this: for those of us who normally run solo but agree to run with other/s for a race, it's critical that conversation and understanding takes place before race day re: expectations. I've been the one feeling left out and left behind when friends I started with ran faster than I expected - and we never discussed ahead of time whose pace we'd follow, what we'd do if someone couldn't keep up, etc. And I've also been the person on the other end, feeling badly because a friend started a race with me and felt rather put-out that I ran my own race and didn't slow down to stay with her - again, because neither of us clearly communicated our expectations ahead of time. It can be uncomfortable to be the one to bring it up, but do yourselves a favor and be that person. It can be handled gently - no need to say something like, "I'm not going to slow down to stay with you, just so you know." Something more like, "Hey, what's your plan for the race? Are you thinking of taking it easy and having fun, or are you going for a time goal?" is a kinder and more effective opening in my experience.

I had the best time running with @Bree (and @rteetz for a bit) during Dopey. I think without Bree I would have definitely died during the Marathon. She pushed me and cheered for me and kept me going. During the other 3 races it was fun to just have someone there with me. And as an only solo runner during training, it was nice but weird to have someone there next to me. Hoping she wants to run with me again at W&D and during Dopey. :teeth:

I had the best time running with @Bree (and @rteetz for a bit) during Dopey. I think without Bree I would have definitely died during the Marathon. She pushed me and cheered for me and kept me going. During the other 3 races it was fun to just have someone there with me. And as an only solo runner during training, it was nice but weird to have someone there next to me. Hoping she wants to run with me again at W&D and during Dopey. :teeth:
Fine I’ll just run by myself then...

I'm normally a solo runner but ran the half & full of Goofy with a friend. It was especially great for pacing in the marathon (as he slowed for me) or I would have walked and gave up trying for a goal time. For the most part all expectations were set in advance except character stopping in the half. I dominated decisions on stopping so we both learned from that, oops. Run & learn they say.

and I'll triple agree with all those on everyone needs to be on the same page of being left behind or leaving someone behind so no hard feelings later with misunderstandings.

Sounds like a plan, but I’m only running Goofy!!!!!!! Extra hotel nights even though I’m at Caribbean beach from keels offer adds up. Sigh....I know I’m gonna have FOMO. Ryan can run with us.

GOOD LORD CHILD. Fine. But you better get me a finish line Marg.

Sounds like a plan, but I’m only running Goofy!!!!!!! Extra hotel nights even though I’m at Caribbean beach from keels offer adds up. Sigh....I know I’m gonna have FOMO. Ryan can run with us.
I'm not gonna pressure you. But I will be sad. Haha.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter