Marathon Weekend 2020

SAFD: I don't have much of an appetite after the full so I don't plan a big meal.

After the 2019 Marathon, I showered and alternated pool and hot tub for 2 hours at the Wilderness Lodge with some adult beverages and it was quite possibly the most perfect celebration ever!

SAFD: Since I’m usually traveling and running solo, I don’t do too much in the way of official celebrating after the marathon. I usually get a quick shower and a nap and then head out to find whatever sounds good to eat.

This past MW, though, we did go out to celebrate DDs first marathon at Raglan Road. It’s one of our go to places. It’s Not Bleedin’ Chowder and Ger’s Bread Pudding rock!

SAFD: haven’t done a WDW race yet. After my DL Half’s I’ve always done an ice bath and then headed to the parks with the family for pics and rides. My first DL half was Tinkerbell 2013 and that one stands out because I met 3 other Dis ladies at Club 33 for brunch and mimosas. That one will never be topped. Amazing experience with amazing people.

After the full in 2020 I’ll definitely need an ice bath. I know I want to hit MK for photos. I’d like to have a sit down dinner somewhere. Catching the fireworks after (or during) would be a bonus.

SAFD: haven’t done a WDW race yet. After my DL Half’s I’ve always done an ice bath and then headed to the parks with the family for pics and rides. My first DL half was Tinkerbell 2013 and that one stands out because I met 3 other Dis ladies at Club 33 for brunch and mimosas. That one will never be topped. Amazing experience with amazing people.

After the full in 2020 I’ll definitely need an ice bath. I know I want to hit MK for photos. I’d like to have a sit down dinner somewhere. Catching the fireworks after (or during) would be a bonus.
I should mention after all of my Disneyland races I have celebrated with medal photos around DL park (castle, characters, etc.) followed by lunch at Rancho del Zocalo. I LOVE Mexican food and, since it’s obviously not a good option pre race, it’s one of my favorite meals post race! Marathon weekend I had La Cantina after the 5k and again on my last day.

SAFD:The best post race Disney meal I’ve ever had was at the Yatchsman. I have to wait until the evening to really enjoy a meal after a race. It’s takes awhile before my appetite comes back. Also had good meals at Ohana, Homecoming, and Boma post races.

2020 will be my first marathon, and my plan is to head back out to a park after the marathon, ride some rides, and eat whatever counter service and snack foods I want whenever I want them, since I don't know how my appetite will be. I'm banking on a celebration meal on Monday--if my housemate is able to come with me it'll also be her birthday meal, so I'll leave it up to her where she wants to eat (my money is on the Bon Voyage breakfast; she loves Flynn and Rapunzel. Yes, in that order). If it's just me, I'm not sure yet--Biergarten is very high on my list of places where I haven't eaten but want to, so that's a good contender. I put together a "short" list of 28 restaurants for my housemate to choose from for the trip, and now I need to put together a "short" list for myself if I'm solo, since my priorities are different if I'm on my own versus trying to share certain experiences with her.

Above all, though? Wearing the medal all Sunday afternoon/evening and all day Monday. After that I'll probably get an I'm Celebrating button so I can keep showing off my first time marathoner status without wearing the medal all week.

Above all, though? Wearing the medal all Sunday afternoon/evening and all day Monday. After that I'll probably get an I'm Celebrating button so I can keep showing off my first time marathoner status without wearing the medal all week.

We always buy the medal pin to wear instead of the actual medal, but I always keep the medal wrapped up in my bag for pictures.

I tend to have an iffy tummy after races, so I avoid big meals. We did flying fish once, and Napa Rose in DL - both good, but maybe too much for my system to truly enjoy.

I do find that a margarita makes a great recovery beverage. Or a grand mariner slush.
Margarita is the perfect post race beverage! With salt of course!

Crossing the finish line with a margarita is pretty high on my priority list.

SAFD: Pretty much everything after a race is celebration!

I like to take pictures with my medal after a race and hang around to soak up the atmosphere. In 2020, I will line up (and stretch while waiting) for a photo with the characters. Will Dopey be there?

I will then shower and have real food at the resort QS (for WnD, I had Mickey waffles). I then hope to have time to grab a slushy alcoholic beverage and enjoy it with some pool time.

If possible, I might go to the parks with my medals. When I was solo, I enjoyed the WnD DISmeet before heading to the Epcot party. I am tempted by Storybook Dining at Artist Point but, depending on how many of my family members are around at that point, it might not happen. And, as much as I wish for DATW, I will likely be in the plane by that time.

For the past few years I got cleaned up and lay down for about 1/2 an hour, but then I am out the door to the parks—Hollywood Studios and then Epcot to go to Biergarten. I find that while I am tired, I feel much much better if I keep moving. I always imagine myself having a beer at the finish line or during the afternoon to celebrate, but alcohol is something I almost never want after a race. By the evening I will have something, but not a whole lot. Because Sunday is a sort of post-marathon haze, I really treat Monday like my celebration day by going to my favorite park, Magic Kingdom, eating breakfast at Kona Cafe, and then California Grill in the evening. I usually snack all day long.

post-race celebrations. Marathon weekend is still almost 11 months away, but it's never to soon to start thinking about celebrating your accomplishments. It's also never a bad time to relive past celebrations.

I find it is good to relive the past over and over while simultaneously revising my current plans obsessively. A nice balance!

I’d do California Grill after the marathon as well. That is a really great meal, my favorite on property.

Yes! After the 2017 marathon, my family met me at the finish and then we puttered around Epcot. DH bought me a sangria which I could not stomach. He swapped it out for a Mickey Bar and that went down much better. We went to our room and I cleaned up and rested a bit, then dinner at CG. When we got there, he'd had the table decorated with confetti (it was my birthday) and we ate an amazing meal. Then we had a gorgeous cake, and watched the fireworks from the balcony. A perfect finish.

AWe started at Wine Bar George (BOGO free wines on tap with your medal this year!) and split the fried Mac and cheese, which was amazing.

How did I not know this was a thing?? Post Dopey 2020 I'm so doing this!

I have to wait until the evening to really enjoy a meal after a race. It’s takes awhile before my appetite comes back.
Me too.

My best day after celebration was brunch at Kona Cafe. Mimosa flights and we completely destroyed two full breakfasts and a few extra sides too. I think that may be a tradition now.

SAFD: Post WDW races in the past I have usually gone to either Beirgarten or ‘Ohana. The year I went solo I ended up at the pizza place in Italy and ate an entire pepperoni pizza on my own. Best pizza I had ever had!

I usually also like to take a cold and then hot soak in the tub and then a nap before heading out for dinner and the parks, finishing the day with fireworks.

Totally separate, today I lost my 2018 Dopey car magnet. I took it off at the car wash and left it in the back of my car. When I got home I put it, along with two other magnets on the roof of my wife’s car while I cleaned out the back. Then it was time to get the girls to dance rehearsal and we were rushed, driving separately. This evening it dawns on me that I left the magnets on the roof of my wife’s car... I hustle out to the garage and find the other two still on the roof of her car but the Dopey magnet is gone. She did about 50 miles of driving and it snowed a couple inches here today - it is gone. But, I decided to not be sad about it. I will simply replace it with a 2020 Dopey car magnet in about 10.5 months!

SAFD: Pretty much everything after a race is celebration!

I like to take pictures with my medal after a race and hang around to soak up the atmosphere. In 2020, I will line up (and stretch while waiting) for a photo with the characters. Will Dopey be there?

The line to get a picture with Dopey can run up to an hour or more. In 2018, they stopped people from getting in line at one point because the CM knew those runners would never get to the front of the line in time.

We don't plan anything special after the marathon. We usually go to MK and watch the fireworks. I like to do the good climb up and down Swiss Family Treehouse for the legs! My stomach can be a mess after so I don't like to plan a big meal. This year we ate at Skipper Canteen though and it worked out well, but it wasn't pre-planned. In 2015 we had a Liberty Tree Tavern and I stared at my food the whole time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter