Marathon Weekend 2020

I am glad someone else is nervous about their first marathon too! I followed my training plan, but I am still worried about not finishing. I am trying to think positive thoughts and visualize myself finishing, but it is still panicking me!

I'm nervous, but in a good way. My coach tells me nerves mean you're ready for the race, so hopefully that's true! I'm confident I'll finish but really want to feel good and be able to run steady on the stretches between the parks. Since the course came out I have been visualizing locations during long runs -- ie mile 3 we'll be entering Epcot, mile 11 we'll be at MK, etc. -- and that's really helped me.

Did my last run today in cooler Germany. I hope now for the warmer weather in the Sunshine State.

Heading on Saturday to Orlando, if there is no union strike and our airline can fly, ...

Should I pack running cloth for rain? In 2017 I had to buy some warmer running stuff, as I was way too optimistic with the Floridian weather in January ;-)

Did my last run today in cooler Germany. I hope now for the warmer weather in the Sunshine State.

Heading on Saturday to Orlando, if there is no union strike and our airline can fly, ...

Should I pack running cloth for rain? In 2017 I had to buy some warmer running stuff, as I was way too optimistic with the Floridian weather in January ;-)

Weather is super unpredictable in January, so I'm planning to be prepared for everything: rain, heat, cold. I'd either bring it with me or hit up a thrift store or sale section in Orlando.

Weather is super unpredictable in January, so I'm planning to be prepared for everything: rain, heat, cold. I'd either bring it with me or hit up a thrift store or sale section in Orlando.
Ok, I put a rainjacket and a sweater. But still hoping for heat ;)

I'm nervous, but in a good way. My coach tells me nerves mean you're ready for the race, so hopefully that's true! I'm confident I'll finish but really want to feel good and be able to run steady on the stretches between the parks. Since the course came out I have been visualizing locations during long runs -- ie mile 3 we'll be entering Epcot, mile 11 we'll be at MK, etc. -- and that's really helped me.
I like that! Nerves mean you're ready for the race! :) The morning of my first half, I kept thinking to myself "trust your training." I have put in all my training for the full...I need to keep remembering that when I get nervous. I feel great running through the parks, so I am glad towards the end some of the parks are basically back to back.

I am glad someone else is nervous about their first marathon too! I followed my training plan, but I am still worried about not finishing. I am trying to think positive thoughts and visualize myself finishing, but it is still panicking me!
You'll do great. I did my first in 2016 and had the same thoughts. And even last year, my second Disney one, my training was terrible leading up to it and I finished it. The key is to trust your training and just enjoy the whole experience and you'll make it. The other runners, the crowds and volunteers are so supportive as well.

12/26/19 AccuWeather:

Wed 1/8 - 71°/54° Plenty of sun Precip 0%
Thu 1/9 - 72°/54° Partly sunny Precip 25%
Fri 1/10 - 73°/49° Mostly cloudy Precip 25%
Sat 1/11 - 70°/49° Turning cloudy Precip 25%
Sun 1/12 - 71°/46° Partly sunny Precip 20%

12/24/19 AccuWeather:

Wed 1/8 - 74/47 Mostly Sunny Precip 20%
Thu 1/9 - 73°/50° Partly sunny Precip 25%
Fri 1/10 - 70°/48° Mostly cloudy Precip 25%
Sat 1/11 - 69°/48° Turning cloudy Precip 25%
Sun 1/12 - 70°/45° Partly sunny Precip 20%

Merry Christmas everyone!

Another nervous first-time marathoner question here. We're arriving on Tuesday the 7th before the marathon. How much should I be limiting park time before the race? We've got a pretty hardcore day planned on the 9th (DD's birthday, she wanted to do DHS for ROTR then AK after-hours). I'm planning on taking things pretty easy on the 11th. Should I be planning to sneak in a few easy runs during the week or will park time be enough on my feet? We're doing a split stay between BRV and BLT, so I've got good running options.

Agree with others that it's about expectations. How much does normal park cruising wear you out? How different is that feeling from a normal weekday during the midst of your training? What are your expectations for race day?

I've done Dopey 5 separate times and the goal has always been to PR all 4 races. But that has never precluded me from doing park touring as well. My wife expects it because at the end of the day it's a family vacation. So I race hard while everyone else is sleeping, and then park tour like the rest of the family. I just take every opportunity to walk slowly, sit down when I can, and lean on objects. I HIGHLY recommend a pair of Zensah calf sleeves. They help keep my legs feeling fresher even during the park touring.

As for how much to run, the first place to look is your original training plan. How much would you be editing out from what was originally written? Was it suppose to be 4, 3, or 2 days originally? Even doing 1/2 of what was originally scheduled should be fine. I think for me an important part is doing a run the day prior or two days prior. During that run (which for me is usually about 20 min), I include some very brief strides. Short bursts of speed that last about 10 seconds. 3 seconds of gradually picking up pace, 3 seconds of holding, and 3 seconds of gradual deceleration. These are not sprints. But what they do do, is reinvigorate the muscles. Say to them, "hey guys, we're working tomorrow." There is some research out there that it enables a change in the muscle tension which helps you feel more "natural" the next day for the actual race.

Rule of thumb when it comes to packing for Marathon Weekend: Bring everything.

So so unpredictable. And even within a weekend it can change wildly. Don't be taken off guard by not bringing every possible outfit and pre-race warmth options.

I can't remember what time is the Hurricane Hannah meet up? Is it at 2pm or 3pm?

2pm

Ran 5 miles in shorts and a t-shirt on December 26 in Pennsylvania. What is with this weather?! Can't complain though!
Almost the same; I'm in Chicago and just finished a 4.5 mile run in shorts and a Wine & Dine long sleeve. The warm weather didn't stop a few walkers on the trail from wearing down coat and gloves; it will be 60-70 degrees colder here in February and I'm not sure what they will wear then.

Last edited:
60° temps in Ohio today (yesterday was 50). Great week to get the 3 midweek runs in. I loved being able to get out today in just shorts and my 2019 Disney Marathon shirt instead of my typical routine of: 2 (sometimes 3) shirts, lined tights, lined pants, vest, hat, gloves, toe and foot warmers!IMG_4384 (2).JPG

Last edited:
To me it’s way to early to obsess over the weather because all it does is cause stress. Since at this point the forecast WILL change almost certainly. I just had FB remind me we were in route to Huntsville before 2018 with one pair of cold weather layers. A few days later I was running to the local Dicks to pick up three more pants.

Oh and another reminder Fit2Run is no longer in Disney Springs. So do not trust the weather forecast as a guideline for packing.

Hello taperville! This is my favorite part of the training. Got through all my stupid long runs so my goal for the next couple of weeks is not to hurt myself. Made it through my last long run (20 miles) on Christmas Eve, ran 5 tonight and feel great. Can’t wait for my first Dopey and fourth marathon! Looking forward to actually doing some meetups this time too.

Thanks for the answers folks! Park days don't generally tire me out too much, and during our October trip, I was running 4 miles in the mornings on the CR jogging trail before going to the parks. I am hoping to BQ at this race, so will plan for a couple easier days pre-race. My taper strategy is largely to decrease distance but maintain some intensity. (E.g. this week will be 40 miles vs. 55 last week. I did a workout with my club this morning, but only did 3x 5 minutes vs. 4 reps for everyone else).

Oh and another reminder Fit2Run is no longer in Disney Springs. So do not trust the weather forecast as a guideline for packing.
[/QUOTE]

The best option now for emergency running clothes is probably Nike or Under Armour at the Vineland outlets.

The best option now for emergency running clothes is probably Nike or Under Armour at the Vineland outlets.
[/QUOTE]
I wouldn’t count out Columbia for some things either. I got a fairly cheap windbreaker jacket and a neck gaiter from there for that crazy change of weather year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter